Fernandina Beach, FL

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 05, 2015
My kindergarten child had none but I felt one paper or a mandatory book would prepare him for first grade, my first grader 4 separate sheets plus reading assignments. That was so overwhelming for me and her she began hiding it from me. By the third sheet we were both so frustrated.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
Lexia is an online program used for all students. Teachers encourage use of lexia at home where students can independently work on additional work that is directly linked to the school so it counts towards the overall grade.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
Teachers have respect and teach others respect to them and others. The teach great social skills. Also they implement anti bullying

Posted August 05, 2015
Professional yet caring! Your greeted by warm friendly smiles everytime you see a staff member! Last year I had a student in kindergarten and a first grader. My daughters teacher left 1/2 way through the year, yet the new teacher made the change seamless! My kids were both below average in reading but high in math. By the end of the year both students were reading independently! Each teacher spent extra time with my kids making a huge improvement! Knowing 3 teachers I can say my experience is amazing! When your kids are sad to leave school you know it's a great public school! Proper ID checks are followed, door to door checks for car riders is a little wait but worth it to know my kids don't come out of locked doors until radioed and that the car ID matches the kids. The bus messed up stops and missed stops multiple times, the school tracked down my kids for me after hours. The bus company is horrible! I wish southside was K -5.

Posted November 14, 2014
My son was in the "Special Education Program/ ESE" for 2 1/2 years went from not speaking to speaking wonderfully and able to write his name by the age of 3 1/2. I was nervous when he passed out of the program into the mainstream kindergarden class. My worries were not necessary he's flourishing, loves his teacher, enjoys school and learning. They do a lot in kindergarten you would never imagine. I'm shocked and impressed by how much he's learning. This is a great school. Yes the location may not be in the most desirable area but drive up 2 streets your on 14th street. It's a small island it's location shouldn't deter any parents away. Theirs like 4-5 bad blocks that are run down one happens to be near the school. My son takes the bus I find that easier for us and since we live off the island but are zoned for that school.

Posted February 04, 2014
Typical backwoods Florida school. Charmingly located in a Section 8 housing area. Drop off/ pick up is a nightmare. The teachers focus on manners over education, thanks but education IS your job.

Posted August 29, 2012
This school's science curriculum consists of 20 minutes once per week of coloring books. Students are not encouraged to challenge themselves. The pace of learning is slow. The guidance office will never return a phone call. There is no cultural learning in the school, in fact, in the pick up line they play an extremely offensive version of the quiet game that teachers refer to as "chinese school house" in which students must sit on their hands and cannot make facial expressions. Many parents are native spanish speakers, yet there is no foreign language education. If you have a high performing child this is NOT the school for you. If mediocrity is your goal, you will love it, because that's all they care about.

Posted September 13, 2011
So far I am hating this school. My first impression for her teacher was that she was hung over at the meet and greet. She kept muttering things under her breath like, "I'll be with it once school starts". Now that school has started I can't seem to build a line of communication with her. I've sent friendly notes to school and emails and the only response I get is from my daughter saying that she told her to tell me that she will get back to me soon. The office is another joke. They told me we didn't need a school physical and then sent home a note saying that she may not return after a certain date if she didn't have one. So the day I pulled her out early to get a last minute school physical done, I called ahead of time to make sure she was waiting in the office and ready to go. I was on my way with a toddler and an infant. When I arrived they called her classroom. I had to wait 15mins for her to pack up and head to the office. It was incredibly unsupportive of and unhelpful, especially after I had literally just called. They told me that it wasn't their policy. I am so happy that we will be leaving this school soon. Schools should be much more supportive of parents!!!

Posted January 17, 2011
My experience at Southside has been wonderful. I love that the students get to participate in music, library time,and physical education. The staff encourages the students to be involved in the school and community. Mrs. Hickox has been a wonderful influence on my son.

Posted October 13, 2010
It has very caring and loving teachers. It is a great school and needs to be able to grow.

1112 Jasmine Street, Fernandina Beach, FL  32034
Last modified Southside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-2
Southside Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top