918 students|Nassau

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This school is good overall. It provides a safe and secure environment that almost feels sheltered at times. As a parent, I was never concerned about my daughter being safe at school or at any nightly activities which is very important and not the case at many other schools. The school provides many social and athletic options for the kids to have a well rounded high school experience. However, I feel like they should step it up academically. My daughter is smart, but she made great grades without a lot of effort. They often watch movies instead of read books and did no term papers. The school prides itself on how many students go on to college, however I think the more interesting stat is how many finish. Even my daughter who is now a freshman in college says she does not feel prepared to write the papers in the different styles and content asked of her. They offer many different AP classes, however how many students actually pass the AP tests to get the college credits. My daughter didn't and very few of her friends did either. The school really does have a lot to offer overall, but could improve on academics.

They do teach you good but there is times it could be more and but I did enjoy being at that school and I miss it to

I am a parent of two former students and a former employee. I agree that this is a decent school for education, but the principal is overdue for retirement. She runs that place like she is the dictator. There is no longer a Homecoming dance because some kids acted up at a former dance (10 years ago)! For years the junior class has worked hard to raise Prom funds to go somewhere nice off island, like downtown Jax. She said "No!" Her reasoning? Because not every student can afford transportation. If they can buy the tickets at $60 a piece and the $200 outfits, I think they could get to Jacksonville. And Jacksonville is the exact location of the high school graduation where all graduating seniors and their families are expected to bring themselves. Perhaps I am being over critical, but I am exasperated with her meaningless and out of touch rules. The sad thing is that my youngest will attend FBHS next year and I wish there could be changes made at the top prior to her arrival so that she could enjoy a great high school experience. She will get the education she needs to move on to college but what will her memories consist of? Prom at the Rec Center?? Come on, RETIRE!!!

FBHS is in desperate need of a new principal--she has been there forever and seems to care more about discipline and drama than curriculum and learning. There are also many other administrators and teachers there who do not care about the students. While there are some good teachers, many of them are lazy, rude to the kids and spend more time on their computers/phones during class instead of teaching and interacting with the kids. If you don't love kids, do NOT teach. Seems simple enough. Imagine what our schools would be like if every teacher and principal truly cared and loved the students. This school is in need of a major overhaul.

Academically this school is doing a solid job. Athletically, the coaching is terrible in every sport but volleyball, cross country and soccer, I've never seen coaches so disinterested in the development of athletes and put so little effort into helping their players get to the next level. I often say the only way a college scout would ever show up at FB is because they're lost and need directions to get off the island. In addition to our own student's bad experience, I have encountered literally dozens of parents that have nothing good to say about collegiate selection guidance from coaches and the basketball/tennis coach is perhaps the single most negative person I've ever met, telling even his best players they're not good enough to play college sports. Truth is, his 1970's coaching is the problem, he'd rather be golfing than teaching the games the way they're played today.

FBHS is an amazing school and our principal is not rude and insensitive. You have to keep in mind, she is an extremely busy lady and has the entire school to keep at her best interest. FBHS's administration works very hard every day and work with the students to provide students with every option they deem possible. Administration meets with students regularly to track their performance and helps students choose what best suits them. FBHS does not ask for a DIME from parents, FBHS earns every penny they have beyond their extremely tight budget. Our teachers are dedicated to helping students give their all and do their best. most teachers are there an hour before school and are still there an hour after school is released. After the torment that most go through in middle school, (including myself) FBHS became my favorite place in the WORLD to be after only a few weeks. Now, i am in 10th grade (c/o 2013) and i am activley involved in cross country, track and many clubs that are provided by FBHS, while maintaining a 3.5 GPA.

My daughter attended FBHS 10th-12th grades, several years ago. Unfortunately, the same people are STILL in charge. Although my daughter WANTED to go to school to learn; The Principal was extremely unhelpful, insensitive and rude, to my daughter and to me; The Girls' Dean had no use for the truth, if it was against the girls she liked; the Guidance Counselor gave no help about making up credits and even misinformed her about dual enrollment. She did have a few good teachers and FLVS!! She loved school and consistently made the honor roll. No thanks to FBHS Administrators, she graduated with honors. I tried many times, but they clearly did NOT want parents to actually help at the school-- just wanted our money. If your child has a mind and ANY opinions of her own, stay away unless you want constant hassles.

i'm just a freshman but so far the school is wayy better than yulee i've went to both and the teachers at F.B.H.S. are 80% better and they care more about their students.

I Loved that school now that i'm in Tennessee it has been so much of a difference. If I could move back to FBHS I honestly would.

i went to this school for about a quarter and i hated it so much! i went to yulee high school before i went to f.b. and the people are so much nicer there! at fernandina the teachers are mean and the students are unwilling for anything or anyone that they havent known for the past 5 years. i know its a small school but still, you would think people wouldnt be so closed minded.

Last modified Fernandina Beach High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.