Fleming Island Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 762 students

Posted May 3, 2014

We couldn't be happier with this school. My son needed a 504 plan and we had no problems getting one. All the teachers we have had have been very involved and very approachable. They really care about the students. My son is getting straight A's and my other son is loving kindergarten.

Posted April 26, 2014

Love the teachers and love the new principal. She is very involved. When we were stationed here before it seems like there was a little more parent involvement but over all we couldn't be happier with this school.

Posted February 27, 2014

It's a shame how everything thinks, these clay county schools are suppose to be better than Duval, but my children been it that school for two years now, all it's been is frustration, poor communication, carelessness of the children.. I mean that's ridiculous and no one does anything about it when you complain..

Posted August 14, 2012

Horrible Special Needs Autism Unit. The teachers/administrators are more concerned with getting the most money per student opposed to providing the best education for a child.Removed my student for inappropriate teaching strategies

Posted May 8, 2012

I have two children who attend this school and agree that communication is a problem between parents, teachers, and the administration. The quality of teaching varies.

Posted June 11, 2010

I have had two children attend this school. The oldest did K and 1st grade at FIE and my youngest just finished PreK. I love this school. I find it very easy to talk to teachers and administrators. The parents are actively involved as well. I couldn't have asked for a better school for my children.

Posted May 4, 2010

Overall, our experience has been pretty good. We moved here in January, so we started mid year, right in the middle of FCAT prep. My son had previously attended a private school up north for the last 6 1/2 years. He had a very difficult time adapting, and the teachers seemed more concerned about FCAT prep than finding out where my son was having some difficulties. It has definitely improved and we are happy with his progress. The lack of extracurriclular activities and teacher communication are where I feel the school falls short, but otherwise it's a good school. My son's teachers do not use email for communication purposes, I feel this would help tremendously with keeping updated with your childs progress (or lack of). Especially if your 5th or 6th grader is one of those children that does not share openly how things are going at school.

Posted May 27, 2009

Fleming Island Elementary is the best school my child has gone too. The teachers are very nice and help them learn a lot. My child has done so well there.

Posted May 21, 2009

If you have a child that will score low on standardized tests - don't come. They don't want you here and they will make sure you know it. Run... run far away..... Now if the teachers in your current school district actually talk to you.... stay right where you are. Your expectations are already too high to move to this school district.

Posted November 10, 2008

Fleming Island is an amazing school. I would be happy for all of my children to go K-6 there and I would recommend others children to as well. While I can't say every, but most teachers genuinely care about each childs education. I have seen teachers do everything in their power to make that light bulb come on. Classes are fun and interesting. Teachers don't just teach to a test, but to inform, entertain, and have a cool new experience that could enable the child to remember a fact or a process for a lifetime. When a grade level team is on...they are on! Fourth grade is so impressive! Whether your child has a learning disability, is slightly below average, is average, is slightly above average, is above average, is gifted...there is something for every child here. The campus is safe, clean, and run very well. You won't be sorry here!!

Posted October 20, 2008

I have two children who graduated from FIE and one remaining. Prior to my youngest attending, I would have said this was absolutely the best school and given it a 9.5! Now, I'm not so certain. If you have a child who is average to gifted, you'll love it and your child will do great. If you have a child who doesn't necessarily 'fit into their box', I'm afraid you may be greatly dissapointed. I loved FIE before my youngest child with a learning disability attended. He was overlooked and definitely fell through the cracks even though we insisted there was a problem. It wasn't until we went outside and had private testing performed that we discovered his disability. I find they are less supportive of this type of child, but have a great program for the Gifted children and seem to challenge the average child. Good Luck!

Posted September 18, 2008

New Principal is very approachable and warm and friendly. You can tell that the students and faculty really like her. While new to her job, she is not new to the schools as she was V. Principal previously. Great academics - I don't feel that any of our teachers have taught the FCAT and in my experience, they have actually played down the FCAT. I think 'teaching the test' has become and overused tagline with no really thought or research put behind it.

Posted February 7, 2008

Admittedly, a better school than some surrounding the area, but I would prefer an administration that was more cooperative towards parents. Definately doesn't rate a 10.

Posted November 27, 2007

Overall the past 2 years, we have had a positive experience at FIE. My daughter is in 1st grade and has been doing well. The teachers seem to learn individual student needs academically, behaviorially, and socially to maintain the school's reputation. I am not crazy about overemphasis on testing starting in Kindergarten which I was not used to seeing in the northern states. The school reputations are mostly measured by test scores and being a high rated school there is a push to maintain scores in all the local schools. There is tons of parental involvement, and I like the relaxed atmosphere of always seeing parents eating lunch with their kids outside, and coming to volunteer or visit their kids when they want. Overall, the open environment and campus layout is great. The drawback is lack of after school activities available for younger students and overemphasis on teaching for the tests.

Posted November 8, 2007

I am thrilled with my children's experience at this school. With the low student to teacher ratio, I felt that the teachers really were able to know my child. These teachers really care about the kids. They have wonderful resource classes (music, art, P.E., library and technology.)The technology (computer) program is top notch and really prepares the children for technology that is used today. There is now a fence that surrounds the entire school and is locked after school starts so that anyone coming throughout the day must report to the front office and sign in before going anywhere on campus. There are also teachers posted for morning dropoff and pickup.I am thrilled with my children's education at FIE.

Posted June 4, 2007

FIE has been a good experience for us. In contrast to some of these reviewers, the principal has been nothing but gracious and available to us. Contrary to what it might seem like - we are just the average family and have no real ties to the school. The one time I approached the school about the computer class policy, I was directed straight to her office. She resolved my problem fairly and it only took one visit to the school. I couldn't ask for better support from my child's educators.

Posted June 8, 2006

Academic programs are challenging and teachers are very commited. Would be a huge improvement if there was a foreign language program available or a more proactiv approach for identifying gifted students. Unless you have entered the school in the very early grades, the admin. concludes that your probably coming from a less rigorous environment and therefore does not keep the information coming regarding opportunities to participate in enrichment programs. A little close minded/arrogant in that regard. The programs are there. You just have to find them on your own. Don't expect the administration to present them to you.

Posted May 16, 2006

A great school. My kids always brought home wonderful art projects and were always involved and thought of throught the whole experience of Fleming Island Elementary School.

Posted April 26, 2006

Fleming Island Elementary is by far one of the best schools I've been exposed to as a mother. My children love their teachers, the level of academics is above the state average and the surroundings are positive and motivating. The parent involvement is superior, and my children have a wide range of choices of extracurricular activities, math club, chess club, walk/run club, student council, chorus, book clubs.

Posted March 19, 2006

Great Academic school. Falls short on extracurricular activities to keep kids interested in learning. Lots of parental involvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

91 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

117 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

121 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4425 Lakeshore Drive