K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Agree

There is no homework in sudbury schools. You can do research in the sudbury model to learn more why. My understanding is that whatever the student engages in, they are taking from that exactly what they need to get to the next step.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Absolutely. The Sudbury Model places the entire education into the hands of the students. This means that they end up taking complete responsibility for their actions, and what they express. If there is conflict/disagreement, both parties have to take responsibility for their part. Such conflicts are resolved in the student run Judicial Committee, with the support of the staff. We have school laws that agreed upon and voted upon by the entire community. Lying to the Judicial Committee or during School Meeting is a serious offense. If a person is found guilty, the consequence is determined to fit the nature of the offense, as well as the history of offense by the person. This may range from warnings, to temporary loss of privileges, and eventually suspensions and even expulsion. To exist in this school, by default, requires the students to take responsibility for who they are, what they say, and how they act.

I am very lucky and fortunate enough to have stumbled upon this little gem of a school. I am very impressed by the level of independence, character, and personality the students have. I only hope that others will get the chance to experience the same. These Sudbury schools should be every where! They are for those that value freedom, responsibility, trust and integrity! Its a real dynamic community with all the good, bad, and so growing potential, just like in the REAL world. In other schools you don't get even a taste of the REAL world until you 18 years old. That is a shame. So check out the school and do research on the Sudbury Model.

I love this school! As a certified and licensed school teacher, I discovered I did not want to put my child through the education system the way it is today. I thought my only option was homeschooling until I found this school. I love the freedom she has to pursue her own interests and how she is learning to be responsible at a young age. She loves going to school and I love the way she trusts herself and is self motivated. She doesn't wait around for me to suggest something to do at home either. She takes responsibility for her own fun as well as her learning experiences (which are strangely connected ;). I think that not being constantly graded and evaluated really keeps her love for learning alive and her self confidence intact. The world is such a different place than 100 years ago when the current public school curriculum was created. Judging from the graduates of the sudbury school I feel confident that my daughter will be able to not just survive but excel in the 21st century. She is genuinely happy and learning who she is, what she wants out of life, and how to get it. What more could I ask for!

This school is a wonderful experience for my son, he has been bullied at his previous middle school and being in an environment where the children govern the school makes a world of difference. I also believe that the children learning from each other and what they desire to learn is more rewarding than the traditional school structure and their future will be more focused on what they have a passion for.

My son attends Sunset Sudbury School and it has helped him grow in so many ways! First of all, he is able to focus on subjects that interest him for as much time as he needs to every day. Not only has this helped his reading skills to improve, it has also helped him socially. At Sunset Sudbury School, if my son wants to work in a group he can. If he wants to learn something on his own, he can do that too. He is completely engaged in whatever he is doing all day long! Attending this school has helped my son to regain his zest for life, his CONFIDENCE, and his independence. This will be the 3rd school year at Sunset Sudbury for my son and I look forward to seeing in what ways he grows this year. I can't say enough good things about this school.

Sunset Sudbury is a great little school. The children are free to learn at their own pace in a positive environment. The staff members and children there make Sunset Sudbury a great place to be.

This school is the best. My daughter went there for 1.5 years, and only left because we left the state. We miss the school and the wonderful community of students, staff and parents every day! My daughter loved attending, and grew and blossomed there in complete freedom.

I am so happy that my daughters have this school in South Florida. It is the only school which truly believes in giving children the freedom to make their own decisions and learn from their own mistakes. They are such curious and confident little girls because of it!

Wonderful teachings. Freedom for play, creative and expression. Great learning environment for children. Highly recommend.

Last modified Sunset Sudbury School is a Private school that serves grades K-12