No rating

Cardinal Gibbons High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Fort Lauderdale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $235,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,190.

Posted August 16, 2014

I can honestly say that if you aren't already in this school go to another one...the teachers are not very qualified and the school is small so they don't have all the after curricular activities a high school should have. I am dissapointed. And think I could have had a better education and future should I have gone to another high school.

Posted May 26, 2014

Parents, think twice about this school. Rarely have any national merit scholars, I have never known them to have any Silver Knight winners and only one or two nominees in the 20 years or more that I've been following it. The administration and administration cronies need to move over. The principal has been there way too long and thinks he's still in high school in the 60's, when he went there. He's never left and never moved the school forward. Considering the location and uppity student body, they should be excelling in academic and social areas. Oh, and their sports teams are, for the most part, failing too. Do your kids a favor and send them to St. Thomas or anywhere else if you want a decent education.

Posted September 17, 2013

We moved from up north and were excited to send our son to CGHS. It wasn't long and we were regretting our decision. The open house was full of promises we just never saw played out. We did not see that teachers were interested in student learning as much as they were about every kid following all the ridiculous rules- notebooks arranged a certain way, no flexibility helping kids transition to high school, poor communication. I thought a private school would be preparing students for the 21st century but what we found was very out of date teaching methods. Most assignments were read the book and answer the questions. poor principal leadership. According to the Florida Certification site he is not a certified administrator, he has no experience outside of CGHS and it shows, his way to solve problems is if you don't like it at CG then find another school--and that was before ever offering to meet with us. There are lots of parents who drink the CG kool-aid because they went to school there and I understand in its day CG was a good school but now it is riding on the past success and not making changes to keep up with today. I would recommend finding another school.

Posted May 2, 2013

I am a parent finishing my fourth year with CGHS. Cardinal Gibbons is a clean and safe enviroment, with nice facilities. Unfortunately it is less than perfect. The Principal, resides at a competeing St Thomas Aquanas and manages or leads both schools. This is a conflict of interest. This has allowed an aging leadership at Gibbons to live on their past reputation. Cheating is rampant. Athletics is run by apathetic leadership focused on select teams in which they have a personal interest. The totality of athletic programs are mediocre at best. I make this statement after the end of year banquet where I endured a consistant beratement by the parents of the program. Like many other schools, most months have a 4 day work week with too many frivolous days off. The plus of this school, it is small enough that most staff know the names of most of the students and are helpful in providing extra attention. The one thing I was most impressed with, was the quality of the students. For this I give credit to the parents. The kids are extremely well manered and come from a high class enviroment. Everyone at the school is very nice and available, but until there is a change in leadership, sorry.

Posted January 11, 2011

love this school for my children! excellent experience! this school knows what to do! give the kids a top education, and tons of activities and fun! well done!! A+++++++++++++ I will send my grandchildren here! No problem!! Worth every penny! no regrets here..

Posted October 13, 2010

Cardinal Gibbons not only offers an incredible learning atmosphere, it is an extention of our family. In a critical time in our children's lives, it has provided acceptance, invited participation, offered a range of learning options and moreover a caring environment for my children... which continues far past graduation.

Posted July 24, 2010

I am very pleased with my child's education at Gibbons. Despite a few less-than-great teachers, my daughter is thriving. The school is small enough so that the kids get lots of personal attention but large enough to offer many AP and honors classes. Even though she's not a star athlete, my daughter has had the opportunity to participate on sports teams. The school makes a big effort to get the kids involved and to make high school fun. I have also been very impressed with the guidance department -- the counselors are very helpful and knowledgeable. Negatives? Like all schools it has some warts: school-parent communication is inconsistent, the front office could be more helpful, it's a crazy parking lot with kids slumming in their luxury cars, and a definitely 1-star lunch program. But on the whole, Gibbons is time and money well spent.

Posted May 7, 2010

I'm proud to have graduated a Redskin (now chiefs) It was a great experience academically and socially.

Posted September 23, 2008

Having graduated from a public H.S. in Fort Lauderdale I was hesitant to send my daughter to Cardinal Gibbons at first, having preconcieved notions of the school. I could not have made a better choice. My daughter loved this school and was involved in lots of different activites. While her friends that went to public school got C's she was able to qualify for Bright Futures and is currently a Senior at UCF. The Drama and Band Programs are top notch with LOTS of parental support. The administration is also very supportive of both programs, including supporting a full blown production of Les Miserables her Sr. Year, INCLUDING the 'lovely ladies'. The school focuses on making your child a sucessful student and human being. I highly recommend sending your child to this school. They will graduate a well rounded student able to succeed in any of their endevours.

Posted November 2, 2007

okay, you hear stuff about the 'quintessential high school experience'? sports,friendships, academics, incredible teachers, school spirit---Gibbons has it all. i'm a proud senior and Gibbons changed my life. Go Chiefs!

Posted August 25, 2007

The majority of the teachers are this school are extremely knowledgeable and qualified. In high school, I was more 'off-beat' and I did nothing but complain about my private, catholic high school. However, looking back, I would send my children there. Cardinal Gibbons gives you an education and a sense of discipline that you may not necessarily appreciate while you're there. Someone else mentioned a lack of diversity- this is true. I think the quality education that I received outshines the 'lack of diversity', though. To all the parents who have kids who are kicking and screaming about having to go to Gibbons, please tell them that even the most offbeat and rebellious teenagers can grow to be thankful to have gone there, take it from me.

Posted July 16, 2007

I am very pleased with my decision to send my child to Cardinal Gibbons. I am overwhelmed with the level of committment the teachers, coaches and staff have for the success of each students. The campus is always busy with activity..everyone is involved.

Posted June 9, 2007

Cardinal Gibbons has exceeded my expectations. They have a handsome, well maintained campus. They also have many sports programs and state of the art facilities. A strict dress code and well monitored security give me peace of mind of my child's safety. The faculty is definitely above what is available at a public school. I appreciate the online communication of homework and grades via the school website. My child is going to be a junior, so the quality of the academic programs should avail itself when we apply to colleges.

Posted December 5, 2006

We are very happy with the academic program that cardinal gibbons offers for my child. My daughter is in 11th grade. She and her friends are very motivated to study and to participate in the overall activities of the school. They enjoy their school very much. The arts program is excellent especially the music program, due mostly to Mr. Mengersen. This is an 'a' school!'

Posted July 1, 2006

I am a graduate of Cardinal Gibbons, and I loved my high school experience. I made wonderful friends and learned a lot about the subjects I studied and the world around me. I now attend a Top 20 (in the nation) University on an academic scholarship- Gibbons helped get me there! I participated in numerous extracurricular activities while at Gibbons- from drama to Student Leadership (a service club) and sports. My teachers were always supportive and approachable. I never felt unsafe on or around campus; there are restaurants and the beach within walking distance so there are things to do even if you don't have a car. Great school!

Posted March 29, 2006

I am currently a junior at Cardinal gibbons, it is a very good school, with great academics and after school activities. The teachers are superb. My math teach of Aglebra 2 honors is the best math teacher i have ever had. The athletic orgrams are also very well put together. There is literally something for everyone.

Posted October 29, 2005

I am currently a junior at this fine school. I love this school! I honestly cant find a thing wrong with it.. only that we have to tuck in our shirts but thats nothing!! i love gibbons!!

Posted August 24, 2005

its a really good school respectful teachers dedicate to teh shcool and children

Posted August 5, 2005

Good school activities, and good people, not alot of parent invovlement.

Posted April 27, 2005

Not worth the money. Another problem is no diversity.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (954) 772-1025

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Miami