No rating

St. Mark's Episcopal School

Private | PK-8 | 380 students

Our school is best known for academics, the arts, athletics and spirituality.

Living in Fort Lauderdale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $107,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted December 1, 2012

St. Mark's Episcopal School has been been nothing but a positive experience for my family and most other families that we know. The school's leadership today is nothing short of spectacular. The administrators and teachers are pro-active in identifying the school's needs and the needs each individual student. For the student that needs accelerated programs they are available. For the student that needs more attention in a specific area, it is available. If you are someone that would like your children to go to a school that has strong academics, that emphasizes hard work and critical thinking, and promotes strong values like honesty, integrity, and equality, then St. Mark's Episcopal School is for you. Great students, great staff, great faculty, and great parents make ST. MARK'S ONE GREAT FAMILY! As for the negative comments, read between the lines. You have 95% plus happy families and students at St. Mark's. Maybe these people making negative comments should take a good look at themselves and their children before before criticizing the school. When the comments are about the cost, I think that tells you where the real issue lies these families. ST. MARK'S = GREAT PEOPLE!

Posted November 27, 2012

We have see first hand the success that SMES has had on our son. He is now at STA and with all honors and AP classes. The nurturing along with the strong academics is combined to compliment the student to excel in all areas. Parental involvement is strong and one can feel comfortable in a variety of areas to volunteer in.

Posted November 27, 2012

My daughter has attended St. Mark's for three years, and I know she is receiving the best education Fort Lauderdale has to offer. Each of her teachers has made a lasting positive impact on her; one she is sure to carry with her for many years. I have also been incredibly pleased with the enriched learning environment at St. Mark's - music, physical education, art, world religion, science, Spanish, media skills, and computer provide the skills and knowledge she will need in a competitive world. Choosing a school is the one of the most difficult and important decisions my husband and I will make as parents, and I am so thankful we found St. Mark's.

Posted November 27, 2012

I am so happy with the education my daughters are receiving at St. Mark's! In addition to the excellent academics, they have the opportunity to work with amazing teachers in the arts every week who inspire them as well as learn the importance of community and respect of others and self. I have watched them blossom and gain confidence in themselves, their ideas, and their work, which is such a gift for a parent. I would be remiss to not mention how dedicated the parents are and what a pleasure it is to be part of the community. I look forward to my son starting at St. Mark's next year!

Posted November 26, 2012

I currently have two boys at St. Marks that have both attended the school since they started Kindergarten. One is currently in 7th and the other in 4th and I find they cannot get a better education and more well rounded experience than St. Marks. I don't find the school to be going "downhill" - I see just the opposite. St. Mark's has a wonderful new Spanish curriculum and offers so many different enrichment classes that makes this school stand apart from the others. St. Marks has and will always be a school that lives and prides itself on teaching the children to live by the honor code. It is our responsibility as parents to make sure our children also grow to be responsible and productive adults by what we are taught at home and school. My boys live to go to school and love to participate in all that St. Marks has to offer. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else.

Posted November 5, 2012

Who are these people who think this place is still good? Both my children were there and it was a OMG when will we escape kind of thing. First off...Way Way Way overpriced. After you add all the "extras" field trips, food etc., you are within $1500 of Pinecrest. No comparision folks. Not academically, not athletically. I mean athletically they hire the cheapest they can find. One of their favorite coaches to employ is this hispanic women who cusses, screams, bullies and belittles the players of every sport she coaches. Really? for $17,000 this is the best you can come up with? Then the academics have been steadily declining. The rules are ridiculous. Kids are hoodlums because they are allowed to behave however because the school needs money. Then you have chapel everyday for an hour while classroom time is reduced more and more. The lunch room food is green and I am not talking lettuce folks, well that is until the accredidation board was there, then it was edible. All in all an miserable experience for my kids. On top of that the only time parents are involved is when they can have a drink in their hand.

Posted September 30, 2012

This place continues to go downhill. No wonder why so many familes have chosen to go elsewhere... I am pulling my children out at the end of this semester. What a disaster!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 6, 2012

We had 2 children attending this school for the past 5 years. For the past 2 years we watched not only the academics dummy down due to an unruly student population but admin. did not know how to handle the children. Teachers started handing out detentions daily and then screaming. When that didn't work, the teacher would sit down and instructed the kids to teach themselves. In a couple of subjects it appeared that the teachers were so frustrated they sent the kids home with their exams. Now, it appeared that almost everyone was making honor roll and or head of school. A few kids were asked to leave the school and others left on their own for a better environment. On almost a daily basis you will hear the most inappropriate language coming out of your classmates mouth, you will be shoved, elbowed or accidentally kicked. Our kids have seen it happen to their classmates as well as defend themselves when it occurred to them. It's a locker room mentality. As for religion, Spanish and computers there was little to no instruction. All communities need schools but they also need strong leaders at the top which appears to be lacking at SMES.

Posted August 19, 2012

Our son loved St. Marks -- there were so many opportunities to participate in sports and arts programs. He received excellent preparation for high school and is now in all honors classes. Thank you St. Mark's!!

Posted May 6, 2012

I'm so impressed with the quality of the curriculum. What my daughter is capable of in 7th grade really amazes me!

Posted March 13, 2012

My kids were at St. Mark's for several years. We have recently moved and we are finding that our kids are ranked in the top 5% in our new "A" rated school system in a new county and they are being placed in the gifted programs. I give huge credit to St. Marks and the wonderful early education programs. I m sure that all of the skills they acquired there at such a young age have helped them tremendously.

Posted February 23, 2012

St. Mark's is a great school, my daughter is in the PK program and I really thought of it as "day care" at first. This is her second year and the program is incredible, she has Gym, Spanish, Music and Religion classes! The faculty and administrators are wonderful caring people, it's a great community. I am more than pleased with our family experience here at St. Mark's.

Posted February 15, 2012

SMES has an outstanding curriculum. All graduates enter their high school of choice, most enrolling in honors courses. SMES students attend STA, Cardinal Gibbons, PInecrest, University School and prestigious boarding schools. All these schools welcome them with open arms and note how prepared they are. The administration and particularly its guidance department bends over backwards to help all children succeed there. When parents are willing to participate in their children's education, the parent -teacher relationship creates a superior environment for learning. The arts department is second to none and rivals many high schools in the area. This school is a HUGE bargain for the tuition which combines academics, the arts, sports and also the benefit of spiritual development. NO other school offers what SMES delivers in Fort Lauderdale.

Posted February 15, 2012

Our daughter graduated from St. Mark's, and is now in high school. Overall, she was not as prepared academically for high school as she should have been. She also does not speak positively about her overall experience as a student at St. Mark's. In hindsight, we would have given more consideration to other private schools in the area before placing our daughter at St. Mark's.

Posted February 14, 2012

As a parent of a former student at St. Mark's, I found the administration to be rigid, inflexible, and often unfriendly. There are some good teachers, but also many more not-so-good teachers. There is somewhat of an elitist attitude, but with very little to back it up in terms of actual academics. Academincally, this school is simply not Pinecrest, and in my opinion it is not even as good as public school alternatives such as Bayview Elementary or Virginia Shuman Young. Overall, this school is just average at best and certainly not anywhere near as good as the administration would like you to believe. Your tuition dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

Posted November 7, 2011

We have two children currently attending St. Mark's and they LOVE it!!! St. Mark's offers an excellent balance between academics and social growth. It has provided a family atmosphere for them while at school. Our children have been blessed with wonderful teachers, as well as additional special activities and events. We have been so fortunate at St. Mark's to have such small class sizes allowing our children to have more individual attention.

Posted October 26, 2011

Terrific Preparation and Terrific Program- We have 3 daughters, one of which is a graduate of St. Mark's; we realized St. Mark's tremendous value as she entered high school where classes she took in 7th and 8th grade at St. Mark's allowed her to skip to more advanced classes immediately in 9th grade while easily managing the homework load in high school. St. Marks' graduates get their first pick of high schools while hundreds of other students are turned away each year from their high school choice. St. Mark's teaches the whole child, keeping the academic program incredibly strong while maintaining an exceptional arts program, offers an athletic program and teaches the whole child through the Episcopal faith open to all religions. There is a great sense of community at St. Mark's. We would highly recommend St. Mark's!

Posted February 16, 2011

My two children graduated middle school at St Mark's. The fees are unjustifiably high, the teachers are average, bullying is constant with both boys and girls, and discipline is swift with "the teacher is always right" attitude. An extremely competitive, elitist and political atmosphere which encourages the families with the most connections and/or money.

Posted January 21, 2010

I have a 7th grader and a 5th grader at St. Mark's that have been there since PK3. They love the school and are thriving. It is a warm loving environment that addresses the whole student. The faith based orientation and exposure to the arts is wonderful. The students that graduate from St. Marks are all accepted to the high school of their choice. Children from St. Marks are well-prepared for high school.

Posted July 2, 2009

I love the School and my Daughter is happy there............

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old

• Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Standards-based
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Transportation options