Pine Crest School

Private | PK-12

Living in Fort Lauderdale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $107,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Sweep tile

Posted October 24, 2013

Glad to see all the negative reviews are OLD!!! New admin, new buildings, new attitude. We are a budgeted family. Yes there are some botox snobs but thank goodness once their child hits a nerve, they are out. The academics are changing and to be honest is losing some of it's pushy robot style teaching. Bummer because some kids need a good no frills education to keep them on par to other countries. Yes lots of kids drive better cars than teachers but the teachers have the red pen to make or break them!!!!! Money is ONE of the top priorities but just remember, Huizinga grandkids got kicked out for not keeping up. in 2013, they want well rounded wealthy families. If you don't have the wealth, raise a well adjusted kid at home, not at the school. My child got in a little tiff. I went to the school within 10 minutes and snatched that little worm up. They know I am broke but bright (enough to know that a collage scholarship is all my kid has. No buildings with our names on campus.....As for the rich snobs, if your child can be-friend 1 of them, then they have a great RICH friend from pre-K to LIFE!!!

Posted September 27, 2013

Fantastic school! Our first year and we are so impressed with the school. In PK alone the kids are learning at a K-1st grade level in comparison to other schools. I have yet to meet anyone snobby and I am very involved. I am not saying I will not but if you take any school you will come across snobs...

Posted September 8, 2013

Pine Crest School is a great school. The focus is on building a well rounded high achiever. I have two kids, one is in HS and the other is in MS in Boca. The kids love the school and I wouldn't consider any other school. As far as the parents are concerned, yes you have snobs and big shots, but once you get to know them they aren't too bad.

Posted August 8, 2013

I am the parent of two kids at Pine Crest School, one in middle school and one in the lower school. My wife and I do not belong to a country club or yacht club. We both work and have to save in order to afford the tuition for both our kids. The school is an absolutely wonderful school and a wonderful fit for our kids. The tuition is expensive, but for what we get in return it is a bargain. Our kids are challenged but not stressed. They are taught to be independent, critical thinkers. The rigurous curriculum is enriched with art, music and athletic programs that are varied and welcoming to all levels of expertise. The facuty is engaged, dynamic and very approachable. The adminsitration is superb and has a strong sense of what the school is as a whole, but it is also open to new ideas and ways of teaching the students. The facilities are amazing. It is not a school that will fit every student and if either one of our kids was struggling we would reconsider the school. But as long as they are blossoming as students and caring, creative individuals, we will continue to put that money aside every month.

Posted April 21, 2013

Pine Crest School is a wonderful academic institution in every way. Before my kids were accepted, I had heard all the rumors about robotic, competitive kids who would step over their mother to get ahead. It is not true. This school has a rigorous college preparatory schedule that many graduates say made their lives so wonderful in college, as college was not a shock. The multitude of clubs and activities offered are diverse and can truly set your child on target with a variety of interests from which to choose when determining a lifelong career. No school is perfect, but I will say this, we have gotten our money's worth and more. These kids are polite, respectful and know what hard work entails. I took 22 of them - ages 5 - 10 to the movies one night and heard not a peep out of any of them. They were wonderful! I am grateful to the faculty and administration for all they've been able to offer my children. The proof is in the college acceptances and the league into which these kids are placed regarding undergrad programs.

Posted July 29, 2012

Do not listen to these other reviews, as they are not correct. This school is absolutely amazing, and this is coming from a student. No, Pine Crest does not mold you into drones like other people say and no they are not out of touch with everybody else. I honestly believe that all of these students/parents do not understand what Pine Crest is about. They try to shape you into the best student possible, and they do it very well. Everybody has personality and are not clay soldiers, as many participate in different clubs/sports, making everybody different. Also, they do mold you into a great person. Many students here are extremely well behaved, which is very good for jobs later on. They mold you for the future, which some parents do not do. They are not absolutely controlling though. Teachers are usually hits but there are a couple of bad ones. Academics is challenging but that is what is expected from a COLLEGE PREPATORY SCHOOL. I am a student and am extremely pleased with school here. I am a very good athlete and student, and think Pine Crest is the best choice for somebody who wants to succeed very well in life. I would make a bigger review.

Posted July 5, 2012

The #2 best private school in the country according to Washinigto Post and we agree.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 25, 2011

I was a lifer at PC, attending the school for 14 years. From my earliest days there, the school has taught me to set my goals high in addition to the skills and confidence needed to achieve them. Critical thinking is stressed starting in lower school, and character education begins early on. PC builds mature, well-rounded individuals. In middle and upper school, the academics are rigorous and not for everyone. PC is a college preparatory school in the true sense of the term - they are not simply getting you into college, but preparing you to succeed in college and beyond. Attending a top tier college, I have seen many struggle with the workload and rigor; I have felt more than prepared for everything I have encountered in college as have my other friends from PC. Many teachers hold PhD degrees and/or taught at the college level, yet they choose to teach PC kids because they know the students here have the drive and curiosity to devote themselves to whatever the academic subject, fine art, or sport is. The sense of community at the school is my fondest memory - I have made lifetime friends with not only students but also faculty and administrators.

Posted November 18, 2011

I think this school is bad school why waste all your money on a school that does nothing for your child when you could go to Rickards Honors Academy. In the Honors Academy your child could earn lots and lots of credits for high school and college.

Posted October 8, 2011

I'M YOUR AVERAGE JOE PARENT.As a parent,I have come to the realization that there are pros and cons about every school.Let's start with the bad.Yes as mentioned in some reviews,there are tons of kids driving much nicer cars than their teachers.Who cares,keep your kid HUMBLE at home.Parents RAISE kids,not SCHOOLS.Yes, it is not diversed enough.The real world doesn't look like that.Get your kid involved in activities outside school.Yes,they care very much about how many of their kids go to top schools.Isn't how greatness is measured in academics? I hear sensless comments such as they care too much about college placement.If you don't care about what college your kid ends up attending,choose the worse public school in your area then. The curriculum is tough.In their introduction,the school clearly specifies that it is for ABOVE AVERAGE IQ students.Some mention that they have money to waste on new buildings.It's true,but unfortunately rich people mostly donate to those who already have a lot and Pinecrest rely heavily on them.The donors want to see the school looking flawless. The school does an amazing job preparing kids for college,but I strongly agree that it's not for every kid.

Posted October 7, 2011

The campus is beautiful. The curriculum appears to be very good. The teachers are hit or miss. Our chiild told us that her current lower school teacher threatened her to stop crying or our child would not see the parents later in the day during a special visit. The teacher never asked our child why? This is unacceptable. This very well may not be the exact language used, but this is the understanding of a very young child. Based on this event as well as other mishaps, this rating is very low considering the prestige of this school. We will try to remedy this situation. If our child continues to go to Pinecrest and our opinion changes, I will update or post another rating in the future.

Posted September 16, 2011

These reviews seem to be very inaccurate, and I truly doubt any of these people know what Pine Crest is really like. Yes, we have a new Upper School building- for a good reason. The old one was too small to fit the large amount of new students in high school. The new buildings are made to be convenient to students, not for show. As for the workload, I myself never spent more than two hours on homework, and that's on really busy days. Most students say they only have one hour of homework every night, which they're free to finish during their free period. Not everyone at Pine Crest is the same, as the person with the newest review seems to be implying. Many students are on financial aid, and do not live the wealthy lifestyle that person is describing. Money is not what gets your way into Pine Crest; scores are. Even the richest kid on earth wouldn't be able to get in if he was failing before. The kids never have an excuse to do badly. Teachers offer extra help nearly every day of the week. They are very willing to help a student if they have trouble. I love Pine Crest and I can't find any faults with the school. I would recommend it to any parent.

Posted August 30, 2011

This school is an extension of the Coral RIdge Country Club, where most families have memberships. Pine Crest is just part of the package, along with the 7-series Beemer, the botoxed trophy wife/mother, the gold Rolex, etc. College placement has slipped dramatically as Pine Crest's academic reputation among top colleges and universities has gond down the tube. Students individuality is NOT tolerated; students are molded like a piece of clay to be Pine Crest clones. I'm thankful we only enrolled our son for one year and then got him out.......into Virginia Shuman Young Elementary. Within the first three months, six of his former classmates parents contacted us to see whether we could help them get their kids admitted to VSY. Five of these familes were put off that their money couldn't get them in and thought that writing a check to VSY could make a difference. That pretty much sums up what Pine Crest is all about.

Posted April 24, 2011

As a parent who may move to the South Florida area, I am interested in Pine Crest. However, after reading many reviews written by students or former students, I am a bit dismayed by the grammatical errors so many are exhibiting. I have heard many complaints about constant pressure and a heavy workload. Study after study has shown that more homework does not equate to better learning. Can anyone tell me how many hours middle and high-school students are expected to study after being in school all day? I am starting to wonder if a public school in a good part of town might be the better option.

Posted January 27, 2011

It's been a decade since I graduated from Pine Crest and I still have mixed feelings about it. I always wondered if I would have been happier somewhere else. While it's true that they send a lot of kids to top colleges, many fall through the cracks at PC because they're not "Harvard bound". I rarely felt anyone had my best interest at heart, or would be receptive to a problem because I was middle of the pack in most areas. When you look at the financial problems Florida's public schools are having, the fact that Pine Crest is replacing 20 year old buildings to construct a new Upper School shows how out of touch they are with the real world. College placement is excellent, but predictably too much focus is on getting into a top rated school instead of finding the best fit. If your kid isn't a basketball dunking math prodigy, I think they'd be happier somewhere else.

Posted September 3, 2010

The sincere passion that the teachers and administraion have for the students here at Pine Crest is beyond words. This IS what a every school strives to achieve. I had no idea that a school could even be like this...it was like seeing the light for the first time. Very happy here...I highly recommend this school.

Posted May 13, 2010

My daughter is a "lifer". She is graduating from high school next week from Pine Crest and started in pre-K. Yes, it is tough. She has worked hard but has made wonderful friends and had a great experience there. She recently told me "thanks for sending me to Pine Crest". She has developed fabulous organizational and study skills. She is better at this than most graduate students. The school is BEAUTIFUL and has fantastic facilities. And it consistently gets students into the top colleges in the US. She has friends who will be attending Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Penn, Stanford and other top schools and my daughter will also be attending a top 20 college. Downsides are that it is expensive and elite. The kids drive nicer cars than the teachers. But they do work hard to get the kids to recognize their privileged status and realize this confers a responsibility too.

Posted December 4, 2009

The best school in Florida and probably one of the best in USA. Best education, fine sports and fine arts programs.

Posted September 27, 2009

Pine Crest is not only well known and highly rated academically, but it is also very well-rounded. The staff is absolutely amazing and the student body is very diverse and talented and everyone goes on to great colleges.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 9, 2009

The previous comment on 9/7/09 is not a fair assessment of the school. It is sign of the poor economy. It must have been written by a parent with experience only with the lower school and doesn't understand educational theory. I have 2 children at PC and 1 in public. PC serves a range of students from above average (120) IQ to super gifted (180). PC does an exceptional job of making a well-rounded student. Less stratification of ability in the LS but still moves along at high pace. It makes the super gifted better leaders and increases the IQ of above average. More stratification in MS and high school. Public does a nice job teaching basics until 3rd grade. Get your high IQ kid in PC early so he isn't a social misfit. Pinecrest is the best value of the $20K schools. (Heritage, NBPS, STA, University)

Asian 3% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab