730 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Grateful to: Parent

Posted November 18, 2015
I'm grateful to all our wonderful volunteers who help implement new programs and keep the ones we have running smoothly. I'm proud to be a parent at this school.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 07, 2015
My daughter has become more confident and caring for herself and other kids in her school after being at VSY for 4 years

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 07, 2015
Again, the school "slogan" is "respect for self, respect for others and respect for the environment"

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 07, 2015
That is one of the mantras taught each day! The school has a " news show" each morning with a mantra for the week that always evolves around doing the right thing but most importantly: "respect for others, respect for self and respect for the environment"

Posted June 07, 2015
The parental involvement is incredible. The events are so well planned and thought out. The diversity is amazing and it is due to it being a unique school that has kids from all across the county and it is NOT a zoned school. The Montessori environment makes it so kids have the same teacher 2 years in a row so the teacher really gets to know the child. The younger kids in the course learn from the older and the older help the younger. The staff is loving and caring. Overall, a great school!

Posted January 13, 2015
This school is beyond amazing. The teachers, administrators, staff... everyone are all just top-notch people! This is our second year at VSY and our children simply LOVE school. They look forward to going each and everyday. It really reminds me of the saying, "Love what you do and you'll never work a day in your life"... the kids there are happy to be there and the parents are too. VSY should be used as a model and replicated to build an AMAZING educational system.

Posted April 29, 2014
The best school ever my daughters had an amazing teacher K/1 Ms.Spencer and now they still have excellent teachers!!!!!!!!!!

Posted October 06, 2013
Admission to this school is lottery based and only a small fraction of those who apply get in (maybe 5-10 percent, many of whom have connections or have offered money). Broward Schools only allow one magnet choice application, which means that for most this is a wasted effort. So unfair. The Montessori method is a proven model and is working very well here and at Beachside. The fact that hundreds of local families want their children to get in and cannot should be an indication that this model should be replicated throughout elementary schools, since the demand and results are evident. It is unfair that so many families are denied access to this great resource in the community. Lottery is not equal access! The other local schools in the area would improve greatly if they adopted this model of curriculum and instruction.

Posted September 12, 2013
I think Ms. Moran, has a great love for her students and it shows. My daughter comes home everyday, wanting to continue do class work. She looks forward to going to school everyday. She is slowly making the adjustment. Parents start thinking about where you will send your 3-4 year old next school year. I suggest you check out VSY.

Posted October 25, 2012
I have to say something because I had an epiphany the other day. I'm a 26 year old college student and I attended Virginia Shuman Young Elementary and Sunrise. Mr. Sauer (now Doctor) was one of my fifth grade teachers. As a kid, I never gave much thought to the level of teaching at the schools I attended, I was a kid and my parents made them for me. I'd started out at a Catholic private school and I was stifled. I didn't know it but I was. My parents were paying to send me to a school with limited resources and outdated ideologies. I was a little depressed because the world seemed so two sided to me. My mom submitted my application and I was accepted through the lottery. My god, it was like a 360. My natural abilities were amplified and my less than capable ones were honed to strengthen. Attending this school changed my life. It's taken me over a decade to realize it. My teachers cared, thought outside the box, encouraged me, and exposed me to this large multifaceted world. VSY and Sunrise. I've attended UM since and I can say I never had more fun-OR appreciated these schools and my teachers. Send your kids to this school. It will be the best thing you ever do for them.

101 NE 11th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL  33301
Last modified Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top