Posted April 29, 2014
The best school ever my daughters had an amazing teacher K/1 Ms.Spencer and now they still have excellent teachers!!!!!!!!!!

Posted October 25, 2012
I have to say something because I had an epiphany the other day. I'm a 26 year old college student and I attended Virginia Shuman Young Elementary and Sunrise. Mr. Sauer (now Doctor) was one of my fifth grade teachers. As a kid, I never gave much thought to the level of teaching at the schools I attended, I was a kid and my parents made them for me. I'd started out at a Catholic private school and I was stifled. I didn't know it but I was. My parents were paying to send me to a school with limited resources and outdated ideologies. I was a little depressed because the world seemed so two sided to me. My mom submitted my application and I was accepted through the lottery. My god, it was like a 360. My natural abilities were amplified and my less than capable ones were honed to strengthen. Attending this school changed my life. It's taken me over a decade to realize it. My teachers cared, thought outside the box, encouraged me, and exposed me to this large multifaceted world. VSY and Sunrise. I've attended UM since and I can say I never had more fun-OR appreciated these schools and my teachers. Send your kids to this school. It will be the best thing you ever do for them.

Posted October 13, 2012
My son started VSY this year. I am in the field of Early Childhood Education and I know a lot about learning environments that are appropriate for children. The environment at VSY is not only appropriate, but outstanding.

Posted September 27, 2012
I began my experience at VSY as a teacher. Now I am a parent with my first child in the prek program. I have taught at two previous Broward County schools and all I can say is our elementary classrooms would be better served by incorporating some of Maria Montessori's methods. The developmental nature of this type of teaching allows all children to see success. I know the new principal Ms. Smith will carry on the excellent quality of student and teacher progress that Dr. Strauss did. My daughter's teacher Ms. Knecht surpasses all expectations! I surely hope the county recognizes the importance of Montessori training for those teachers new to the school. Proud to be part of the VSY family!

Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School 1

Posted August 20, 2012
This school is an utter disappointment. From the attitude EACH and EVERY time I deal with the elderly woman at the front office (if she doesn't like her job there are plenty of others that would be grateful for it I'm sure), to the guidance councelor who teaches kids in the school one thing but openly admitted he does not give his own teenager the same advice he teaches to my kid or the rest of the VSY kids! What is that all about? The VSY experience is beyond over rated. They sell the A rating but at the end of the day I sadly get a strong feeling from my experience its really NOT about the kids.

Posted August 03, 2012
I am currently teaching at V.S.Y. and have been for 11years. Prior to V.S.Y., I taught at a very exclusive private school and can honestly say, "It is the best of both worlds. You have the diversity of a public school education and the pursuit of excellence as a private school." The Montessori curriculum is a beautiful way for children to learn.

Posted June 01, 2012
A remarkably well managed school. Principal Strauss is an exceptional leader and the overall educational standards have been recognized by the blue ribbon award for national excellence. The results achieved are even more incredible considering it is a magnet school and some of the students come from difficult backgrounds. The PTA is very active and parents help fill in some of the funding shortfall. The summer program however is something of a joke however but that is not the raison d'etre of the school. If you are lucky enough to get in through the ballot system your child is guaranteed an excellent primary education.

Posted December 13, 2011
Best school I have ever had experience with! I wished I attended this school as a child. We moved from Coral Springs where there are excellent Grade A schools and I was happily surprised with VSY. Not only did the school, program and faculty exceed my expectations but I am hoping that the school will eventually go up to High School. Best school by far in Broward! I went to a private school for half of my life and I must say the Montessori program here is highly recommended.

Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School 1

Posted December 10, 2011
I am beyond disappointed with VSY. It took a long time to get in only to have my child repeatedly bullied, hit, punched, kicked, threatened etc (so much for their zero tolerance anti bullying policy) and in a class that I can only call chaotic at best. The ratio of 1:17, even w/ volunteers, has the kids wandering around & interrupting others kids learning. Issues w/ problem & disruptive students go unresolved (unaddressed?) as these kids are continuously allowed to disrupt the entire class & other students learning day after day. I do not see effective discipline or a respectful orderly class. The teacher always appears frazzled & unfocused, doing too many things at one time. I suspect this is due to so many kids in the class AND the Montessori method (which I now question). Big deal on the A rating & award if you aren't making sure my child reaches their potential every day and is safe from other kids poor behavior. I'm unimpressed with VSY & staff. Unfortunately this is touted as the best of local public schools offered.

Posted November 27, 2011
I love this school it's the best I think everyone should go to VSY! It's the #1 school in broward county and we have just one the blue ribbon award for being one of the best schools in the nation!!!!! I love this school I wish they had a middle school so I could still see my wonderful teachers and friends! We are like one big happy family!!!! So go to VSY! It's the BEST!!!!!! -Sarah Hoffman age 11

Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School
101 NE 11th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL  33301
Last modified Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top