940 students|Lee
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the new principal of Paul Laurence Dunbar MIddle School, I invite any and all interested families to schedule a tour of the campus. Our facilities, student body and program, as well as our staff, are second-to-none. We take great pride in teaching all students, and the complexity of the children we serve is a source of our strength. Reviewers will review, and in a school-choice system, most who choose to speak up have likely moved on within days - limiting their scope and knowledge. I hope any and all prospective students and families call us, speak with me directly, and enjoy the great opportunities at PLDMS.
November 20, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

We have NEVER witnessed bullying at PLDMS, but our son is a part of the Peer Mediation program at PLDMS, which is geared toward students mediating peer to peer conflict. There is so much emphasis on respect for all at PLDMS, that bullying seems a thing of the past. The administration has been so responsive our concerns (when we have any) that I am certain that if bullying does occur, they would effective deal with it.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

There is an ESE program and a gifted program, and from what I've seen, there is an understanding that there are several levels of learning within EVERY area of the school, and a desire to reach each student individually.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The principal and assistant principals are more than effective, they are truly amazing. The atmosphere of PLDMS is one of respect of student needs, education, support for success, community and just overall concern for student well-being, and is truly a reflection of the leadership style of the principal and assistant principals.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Absolutely! That is actually the core or foundation of PLDMS - a community of students with a united effort toward respect for, compassion for and integrity of ALL students. I was trying to come up with better adjectives, but this is spot on.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There are wonderful, fantastic, caring, amazing teachers at PLDMS. We have great experiences with every teacher we've encountered.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is an adequate amount of homework given, not too little that my children have too much time on their hands and not so much that they aren't able to participate in after school activities, sports, pleasure reading, etc. If we feel like the homework load is getting too heavy, the teachers are responsive to comments and concerns.

PLDMS is a FANTASTIC school. I am a parent of two middle-schoolers, and we are so happy at PLDMS. The principal is dedicated to keeping PLDMS a safe and nurturing environment for all students. The entire administration, teachers, staff, everyone, they are all positive and uplifting, responsive and caring. My children are met with smiles each day and the teachers work hard to make sure that each student is making gains. The atmosphere of the school is one of community and togetherness. I would highly encourage anyone interested in PLDMS to talk to parents of students (and students) that actually attend/have attended PLDMS, and not rely upon statements from people who have no experience with PLDMS. There are a LOT of rumors that just aren't true, it's an amazing school with a lot to offer to any student, whether they are gifted, non-gifted, interested in the arts, S.T.E.M. programs, playing intramural sports, after school activities, PLDMS really does have it all.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The presence of authority in the hallways at all times- Principle, Vice Principles and teachers at all times. Misbehavior and consequences are dealt with accuracy, respect and support.

Staff is committed to excellence. Understand and attend to the needs of children with learning disabilities. Challenged those in need of achieving their best and encourage and support the overachievers.

As a parent who is raising two young boys in a very global and diverse society it is important for my kids to have an educational experience at a school that promotes diversity and develops a culture that emphasizes respect, tolerance, and acceptance. Dunbar Middle meets all of those expectations and much more. They have some of the most dedicated and caring teachers that I have ever been around (and I am a teacher as well). They pride themselves on doing what is best for their students and involving parents and the community in their students education. The building is clean, bright and well taken care of. Academically, the school is technology driven, and has the resources to meet your child's needs despite whatever level they may be at. They have programs to support struggling students and have one of the best gifted programs in the county. I definitely recommend Dunbar Middle, as a parent and a teacher!!!!

Last modified Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.