School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the new principal of Paul Laurence Dunbar MIddle School, I invite any and all interested families to schedule a tour of the campus. Our facilities, student body and program, as well as our staff, are second-to-none. We take great pride in teaching all students, and the complexity of the children we serve is a source of our strength. Reviewers will review, and in a school-choice system, most who choose to speak up have likely moved on within days - limiting their scope and knowledge. I hope any and all prospective students and families call us, speak with me directly, and enjoy the great opportunities at PLDMS.
November 20, 2014

Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School 4

Posted November 24, 2014
I feel that PLDMS offers a wide variety of activities for students while simultaneously challenging them with rigorous coursework. Dunbar excels athletically, musically, artfully, theatrically, academically, technologically.....the list really goes on and on. I love working here and look forward to working with my students every day!

Posted November 21, 2014
Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School offers a wealth of opportunities for your student to learn and grow. Students with a variety of talents, will have those talents nurtured. The faculty and staff are dedicated to seeing all students succeed. If you are looking for a school for your middle school student, I highly recommend giving PLDMS strong consideration. You can attend the Student Assignment Open House that is offered in January, and follow the school on Twitter @PLDUNBARMS to find out more.

Posted November 21, 2014
I have been working in education in some capacity for the last 16 years. Here at PLDMS, I have had the opportunity daily to collaborate with some of the hardest working and professional team members. The students at the school are enthusiastic and love to participate in what the school offers; including the after school tutoring programs, clubs, as well as the sports that are offered here. I am fortunate to have found a home here at Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School, with such outstanding students and staff.

Posted November 20, 2014
- a school leader

Posted January 27, 2012
More like a reform school than a middle school. Dunbar is absolutely awful.The school is full of drugs and fights. We did NOT want our child there but thanks to the ridiculous "school choice" program(which gives you really no choice at all) we are stuck with Dunbar. The teachers and administration do not respond to letters/emails and never return phone calls(including the prinicpal). Our child is in AVID and the gifted program so she is somewhat protected from the bullies and the gangs but it is frustrating to not have any communication with staff when there are issues. I' m constantly told Dunbar isn't as bad as it once was but I find it hard to believe. Never have I seen ANY school have a seperate sign out book for children's probation officers or to sign children in/out for COURT! That sums up Dunbar right there and unfortunately those children are taking up the staff's time leaving the involved parents and their non criminal children out in the cold.Had I known last year what I know now I wouldve homeschooled! Lee county has great elemntary schools but after that it's hard going...

Posted November 30, 2011
This school is wonderful! The staff there always encourage students to succeed. Though I do wish they offered dance. You rock PLDMS! For being one of the only REGULAR (not a magnet school) schools in Lee County PLDMS has many wonderful encouraging programs helping the students live up to their full potential. Some people don't like that school because of the kids (they think they are mean) but I have met many friends there and I am a good student, not a bully. I get good grades ect. Our band teacher is amazing and funny, our Drama teacher is funny and very laid back. He teaches us wonderful good things.

Posted March 10, 2011
Being a a gifted student I need to be academically challenged or else it's completely worthless to try. Unfortunately, PLDMS wasn't able to stand up to my needs. The teachers are always having to deal with problem students (the schools is crawling with them) andthe "gifted program" is really just more of the same work, making you reguritate information you have already mastered. There isn't a week I can remember the students not breaking out into fights or causing problems. If you want your child to succeed, this is not the school for him or her. With bad teaching methods and a horrile staff, though there are a few jems in the bunch, this is definitely a breeding ground for failure. This might not be the nicest review, but from a ex-student, it's the truth.

Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School

Posted May 20, 2010
its the best :) Ms. Joiner is awesome the AVID program the best I LOVE THIS SCHOOL :D

Posted August 03, 2009
I'm a student, And I have to say, I got in a lot of fights at Dunbar Middle. It is not a safe school.

Posted April 09, 2009
I love Dunbar Middle. I recently switched to Canterbury School, and I really do regret it. They have a great gifted program that really challenged me. I miss my friends and I want to go back! Miss you guys!!! :(

Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School
4750 Winkler Avenue Ext, Fort Myers, FL  33966
Last modified Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top