Fort Myers, FL

Posted January 19, 2015
I have 2 children here and both are very unhappy. They have always had wonderful relationships at school. I have always been told they are hard workers and helpful. Never any issues at school ever, yet day 1 here and my child was accused of cheating on an assignment that wasn't even being graded and both of them came home stunned that staff told students to shut up. How are our children expected to learn to respect staff members when they scream shut up to small children? My kids are miserable and I'm considering home schooling until another school has openings. There's no reason for staff to speak to students in that manner, and good schools function without disrespecting our children. Children learn what they live.... see.... and hear. In my opinion, yelling at a child like that, is just being a bully. It makes me angry and it wasn't even my child that was yelled at to "Shut Up" If your child attends here, just ask them if they've ever heard this. On the plus, the teachers called me right back when I called regarding their schoolwork however there's limited writing in the older class and and my child misses writing stories. The Math program is far behind where they were.

Posted April 27, 2014
My daughter went to this school and we ended up spending HOURS teaching her. The amount of homework is out of control. She had to miss school for three days for an out-of-state funeral and received 40 PAGES of math homework and listening to her talk about her friends, this was the policy if a child missed school. The math program was awful. The teacher had no idea what she was doing and when you approached her with issues, all you got in return was defensive attitude. We tried to set up many meetings with her teachers...no response for WEEKS! We participated in different camps to help her with different subjects and she learned absolutely nothing. It was a writing camp and apparently grammar and punctuation was unimportant. They would send home weekly reviews and it seemed that she was progressing well in every subject and then we would get her report card, after no graded school work had been sent home, and her grades were not even close to where they were before she went to Orangewood. Not to mention a high issue of un-addressed bullying. We would have been better to home school her than to send her to this school because we were teaching her ourselves.

Posted April 08, 2014
i dont like this school i dont like it i dont like it i dont like it

Posted June 12, 2009
Outstanding in all they do! :)

Orangewood Elementary School 4

Posted March 20, 2008
Orangewood has been a positive experience overall for my children. The teachers are all great at teaching, but a few need to remember that they are teaching children. They need to remember to dicipline the children to 'teach' them, not punish them to hurt them inside. The support staff is great as well.

Posted November 26, 2007
hi i go to orangewood elementary and i think it is an exellent school to go to

Orangewood Elementary School 4

Posted March 30, 2006
I went to Orangewood Elementary a few years ago, and it was the greatest experience I have ever had. I went to 3 different elementary schools, and I went to Orangewood for three years, I wish I could've stayed there for 5th grade but I had to move. The teachers were wonderful, and the courses were great too. This was a really, genuinely great school, and I reccomend it for all of your kids.

Orangewood Elementary School 3

Posted February 01, 2006
This school is great for students who are well motivated, good self starters. However there are alot of kids here that are disruptive and if your child is easily distracted they may have a tough time. The overall quality of teaching is high, but again sometimes it is hard for the teachers to do a good job with frequent outbreaks of misbehavior in the class. The library and access to computers is good.The children have each day one of the following: music, art or PE on a rotating basis. Ther is very little recess and often none at all.There are no organised sports, PE mostly seems to consist of running around a small track. A small group of parents are very involved, most are not. There are some wonderful teachers at this school. Mostly we have experienced problems because of other students.

Posted January 12, 2006
Orangewood is an incredible school. This is a place where 'going to the principal's office' is a huge treat -- Dr. Lohmeyer is one of my son's favorite people. But she is not the only person who exudes enthusiasm and affection for the students. From the assistant principal Mrs. Pescatrice, and the Guidance Counselor, Mrs. Lockard (who knows each and every child by name), to most of the teachers/staff we've encountered, everyone is dedicated to helping each child discover the best in himself. Equality, respect and character are valued at this school, and reinforced in ways that go home with your child. My son has thrived academically as well as emotionally. His test scores vastly improved; he is placed at an academic level that challenges him and he's excited to go to school every day. We are going to be sad to leave Orangewood.

Posted August 05, 2005
I have really enjoyed the time that my kids have spent in this school. All the teachers were really nice and very helpful with the kids. The principal Dr Loymyer is an awesome person and loves each of the kids in the school as if they were her own. She is one of the very few people that I have seen that reward the kids and call them to the office for treats when doing something good. When I was in school you hated to be called to the principal's office and at this school it is an honor. She spends quality time with all the kids and makes them all feel special. She actually takes the time to walk the kids down to the light to cross the street in the afternoon to make sure they get home safe. If you are looking for a family atmosphere this is it!

Orangewood Elementary School
4001 Deleon Street, Fort Myers, FL  33901
Last modified Orangewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Orangewood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top