Fort Myers, FL
Students enrolled: 1,134

Posted September 20, 2014
I think last four reviews was from same parent :) . I think you are so wrong or you just mad at school and you don't really care what you are writing . My child was at Heights from kindergarten and finished 5th grade . My child was happy whith Heights and still happy. I don't think we are rich family , actually we came here from another side of the world . How many times I had ask for help from Diane Salko she always helped me . One time it was middle of the summer break and I had a call school to ask some paper that dr asked and she answered the phone and said yes I can pick up that paper tomorrow at 11:00am and I came to school next day at 11:00 and got my paper. I had a meeting with my child's teacher and Salko was there too and after that meeting I learned that Diane Salko will protect teacher at the meeting even teacher have a mistakes. She will not count or talk about teachers mistakes front of parent or student . Next thing is in fact I know that if Diane Salko have no meetings ( most of the time district ) then she does parent drop off every single morning no matter how hot or cold and rain or lightning ....same thing whit parent pick up .

Posted September 02, 2014
Heights is run like a military environment and the principal punishes children on a mass scale, not for individual behavior. Our children were coming home crying everyday and hating school. We are one of many families that have chosen to remove our children from this horrible environment because we feel that we have no alternative. The principal will not even speak with the parents. She completely shuts them out and has basically allowed for very limited parental involvement in the school. She is very mean to the children, parents and teachers. It is a terrible environment to be in as a whole. Be forewarned that if you ever have an issue with your child at school, she will make it about you and your child and the fault will be in your lap. Salko will never investigate a situation or accept blame for anything. Many families who have left are now working on documentation to be submitted to the board so that it is at least on record for everyone to see. Children should be in an educational environment which fosters love of learning and happiness. She needs to be removed from Heights so that the children can have positive memories of their elementary years, not nightmares!

Posted June 05, 2014
Not a top notch school at all! Our child was picked on and bullied all year and since the culprits mother was an OVER INVOLVED and over opinionated type with to much time and money on her hands the ongoing issues where never resolved. Diane Salco is terrible to talk to and try to approach with issues. She is uptight and rude and if she doesn't deem you to be a rich or wealthy family she will dismiss you like trash! Our daughter was light years ahead of others as mediocrity is the norm. School has misleading educational scores but that's because I believe they "teach to the test". Also had lunch at the school one time with my daughter and the lunch room was a free for all and I witnessed several teacher/staff yelling and raising their voices at students. Ok I guess for the average student just going through the motions of school being a part of life but in no way conducive to students with higher aspirations looking to challenge themselves.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 24, 2014
(cont. from below) The parents are rarely invited in the school for events. I can understand why after going to "student led conferences." While there, I heard a lunchlady yelling her head off at a child. Also, forget having a standard parent-teacher conference- our conference consisted of reading self evaluations our children had written and then parents filling out the same sheet. The teacher provided no feedback or insight. It was just another one of their lazy shortcuts. Morning drop off is a nightmare. You have a 15 minute window and half of that time only half of their new "traffic pattern" is available, meaning many people have to make a dangerous U turn on Gladiolus, not to mention increased traffic at the children's crosswalk. The staff is rarely outside directing traffic, only 1-2 volunteers. My child has only had 4-5 science lessons all year. They have almost exclusively focused on math an reading. I can only assume they are "teaching to a test." I have already taken the steps to remove my child from Heights. I only regret that she has 2 more months to serve there.

Posted March 13, 2014
Diane Salko has 0 people skills. She demoralizes her staff. I know several great teachers have left because of her. She cares about scores and attracting wealthy families, not children learning.

Posted March 04, 2014
We checked out a lot of schools before moving from Nashville to Fort Myers in 2013 and Heights was our number one elementary school choice. Excellent staff, our son is challenged in both the regular and gifted programs, the facility is great and the learning environment is top notch. Ms Salko and her team have done a great job with this IB World School.

Posted July 10, 2013
Very good school, everyone nice and friendly. Mrs Salko she is the best ,she really know how to make work teachers and students . My son was from kindergarten, this year he finished 5th. As a parent I am very happy with school and staff . If you have any question one phone call or e-mail to school and you will get help immediately . My son was very happy to be at Heights . He loved every teacher he got.

Posted January 10, 2013
We are very happy with Heights Elementary. We moved to FL from a small town in MN and didn't know what to expect at such a large school & we were overwhelmed with the school choice situation. My daughter is in her 2nd year at Heights and is doing very well. I will be sending my other daughter next year for kindergarten.

Posted March 08, 2012
This school is one of the worst schools that my child has attended. My child has encountered bullying from the same group of girls since the beginning of the school year, and it continues to get worse. Per her teacher, Mrs. Wendland, she is unaware of the bullying, but then she contradictorily admits that it happens mostly at lunchtime. I have spoken to both Mrs. Wendland as well as the principal since my daughter first began telling me about the bullying and 6 months later it is still going on. Absolutely disgusting behavior from many of the students attending this school.

Posted January 27, 2012
Love,love,love Heights!! We have been a Heights family since 2008 and cannot be happier! I have had three of my kids at Heights so we have experienced everything this school has to offer. All the teachers are very involved as are parents. Heights is better than the private school my children attended prior to moving to Ft.Myers-They are THAT good. My younger two children are at Heights with one graduating next year and I am very sad to see him leave an excellent school like Heights (the middle schools & High Schools leave much to be desired here in Ft.Myers). If you can get your kids into Heights you will be very thankful!!

Heights Elementary School
15200 Alexandria Court, Fort Myers, FL  33908
Last modified Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Heights Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top