1,172 students|Lee

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This will be my sons 3rd year at heights. His first grade year was an absolute nightmare. The teacher punished him the whole year because he couldn't keep up with her "high ability" class. The issue is, I called the principal who informed me THERE IS NO HIGH ABILITY CLASS! All the classes are supposed to be doing the same thing! She was giving out extra work, ridiculously high A.R. goals, and calling me every two weeks complaining that he was behind. I spoke to the principal who REFUSED to switch him to a different classroom. Then I called the principal AGAIN about an issue in the lunchroom, which was not resolved either. This year there is a new principal, and I have already called the superintendents office about him. The parent drop off/pickup is a DISASTER. We are backed up for 20 minutes on Gladiolous and A&W because traffic is so bad, and when I finally get on the property to drop my son off, THEY MARKED HIM AS TARDY! Maybe the kids wouldn't be tardy if the damn school would get someone out there to direct traffic and fix that mess! NO organization, NO communication between the teachers and the office staff, and NO resolutions. I cant wait to get my son out of there.

Heights is an awesome school! I love the IB program. I see there are other comments that are not so nice on here, teachers at Heights give their everything and its sad that some parents think teachers have to do it all, it first starts at home!!! Look at yourself before you bash an awesome school and staff, especially Mrs. Salko; she gives her all and it has shown...I applaud her.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

depends on the teacher you have! I believe the teacher that was teaching ESE K/1 Did not know how to work with children with disabilities.

I think the teachers and the principal do not know how to treat children and parents of children with disabilities

My Grand daughter came from a very small school, an I thought she might have trouble adjusting, HA! She did better than me! She is an A/B student an loves this school... Job well done Heights :)

I think last four reviews was from same parent :) . I think you are so wrong or you just mad at school and you don't really care what you are writing . My child was at Heights from kindergarten and finished 5th grade . My child was happy whith Heights and still happy. I don't think we are rich family , actually we came here from another side of the world . How many times I had ask for help from Diane Salko she always helped me . One time it was middle of the summer break and I had a call school to ask some paper that dr asked and she answered the phone and said yes I can pick up that paper tomorrow at 11:00am and I came to school next day at 11:00 and got my paper. I had a meeting with my child's teacher and Salko was there too and after that meeting I learned that Diane Salko will protect teacher at the meeting even teacher have a mistakes. She will not count or talk about teachers mistakes front of parent or student . Next thing is in fact I know that if Diane Salko have no meetings ( most of the time district ) then she does parent drop off every single morning no matter how hot or cold and rain or lightning ....same thing whit parent pick up .

Heights is run like a military environment and the principal punishes children on a mass scale, not for individual behavior. Our children were coming home crying everyday and hating school. We are one of many families that have chosen to remove our children from this horrible environment because we feel that we have no alternative. The principal will not even speak with the parents. She completely shuts them out and has basically allowed for very limited parental involvement in the school. She is very mean to the children, parents and teachers. It is a terrible environment to be in as a whole. Be forewarned that if you ever have an issue with your child at school, she will make it about you and your child and the fault will be in your lap. Salko will never investigate a situation or accept blame for anything. Many families who have left are now working on documentation to be submitted to the board so that it is at least on record for everyone to see. Children should be in an educational environment which fosters love of learning and happiness. She needs to be removed from Heights so that the children can have positive memories of their elementary years, not nightmares!

Not a top notch school at all! Our child was picked on and bullied all year and since the culprits mother was an OVER INVOLVED and over opinionated type with to much time and money on her hands the ongoing issues where never resolved. Diane Salco is terrible to talk to and try to approach with issues. She is uptight and rude and if she doesn't deem you to be a rich or wealthy family she will dismiss you like trash! Our daughter was light years ahead of others as mediocrity is the norm. School has misleading educational scores but that's because I believe they "teach to the test". Also had lunch at the school one time with my daughter and the lunch room was a free for all and I witnessed several teacher/staff yelling and raising their voices at students. Ok I guess for the average student just going through the motions of school being a part of life but in no way conducive to students with higher aspirations looking to challenge themselves.

(cont. from below) The parents are rarely invited in the school for events. I can understand why after going to "student led conferences." While there, I heard a lunchlady yelling her head off at a child. Also, forget having a standard parent-teacher conference- our conference consisted of reading self evaluations our children had written and then parents filling out the same sheet. The teacher provided no feedback or insight. It was just another one of their lazy shortcuts. Morning drop off is a nightmare. You have a 15 minute window and half of that time only half of their new "traffic pattern" is available, meaning many people have to make a dangerous U turn on Gladiolus, not to mention increased traffic at the children's crosswalk. The staff is rarely outside directing traffic, only 1-2 volunteers. My child has only had 4-5 science lessons all year. They have almost exclusively focused on math an reading. I can only assume they are "teaching to a test." I have already taken the steps to remove my child from Heights. I only regret that she has 2 more months to serve there.

Diane Salko has 0 people skills. She demoralizes her staff. I know several great teachers have left because of her. She cares about scores and attracting wealthy families, not children learning.

Last modified Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.