No rating

Bishop Verot Catholic High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Fort Myers

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $91,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted April 26, 2014

I am a student at Verot and I just want to say please, if you care about enjoying high school, do not go here. I moved here from out of state and was excited about this school because I thought it would have a family vibe (it's very small) and they made it sound like so much fun and a positive experience. I have hated it so much. The people here are very judgemental towards everyone and everyone creates drama and knows everyone's business. If you have any personal information that you tell anyone, it doesn't matter how trustworthy you think your friends are, the whole school will know immediately. The discipline here is ridiculous. You get detentions if your shirt isn't tucked in or if you don't have a belt. I got 5 detentions one time because (and I am dead serious) a teacher said my sweater wasn't ugly enough on Ugly Sweater Day. Another student got a demerit (3 detentions and a Saturday detention) for accidently cutting off a teacher while driving outside of school. They also take every opportunity to take your money. You have to pay for detentions and are required to buy shirts and stuff. And there are no freedoms at all. No freedom of speech, nothing. Please do not go here.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 28, 2014

Bishop Verot stands head and shoulders above any school in this area - and most schools in general. Here is what you won't find a Verot: Bullying, dope, political correctness, diversity politics, secular material worship, an empty curriculum. What you will find: positive supporte in ALL endeavors, American values, collge core curriculum that focuses on traditional studies, faculty that are strong in their discipl;ines and actually care, extracurricular activies above par, a "community" of parents, teachers, students and alumni that want your child to succeed and will do all they can to help in every way. If this sounds impossible - go vist Verot and be ready to be shocked that any school can still hold the values you grew up with in today's sex, dope and PC craven world.

Posted August 15, 2013

Verot is an excellent school with a positive learning environment and very caring teachers and administration. During my son's freshman year, I recall him telling his public school friends (who were comparing the number of fights at school) that there had not been any fights at Verot because "the kids are just happy there." What a nice thing to hear as a parent. My son ran into a few challenges during the year, and the staff and administration went out of their way to help and encourage him (and me). I felt that the school really cared about my son. This year, moving into my son's sophomore year, I appreciate that the school placed my son in classes and with teachers based on what they felt would be the best "match" for him, taking into account his abilities and personality. I love this school. I'm looking forward to a great sophomore year for my son.

Posted September 13, 2012

My daughter is a Freshman at Verot this year and without a doubt loves school. As parents, we struggled with how we were going to pay for it after paying for private tuition since Kindergarten and another child in private school.We knew in our hearts it was the right choice so we were were willing to make the sacrifice. It has been worth every penny. The staff is friendly, eager to assist, and the teachers dedicated to their students. Their mandatory tutorial for teachers 230 to 3pm has been such a help for my child. The school has a wide variety of clubs and ways for all students to get involved. At the first home Varsity football game, I was amazed at the Viking Spirit from the staff, students, and parents. The education is great but it is all the faith formation each student is given that impresses me everyday. I thought it was wonderful that the Seniors did not harass the incoming freshman but welcomed them with open arms including decorating their lockers before school started. The Freshman Retreat weekend with the Seniors was an amazing experience. Our family could not be happier with our choice and excited for another Viking student to start in 3 years.

Posted September 11, 2012

As an alum, parent, and volunteer, I've experienced Bishop Verot from several different perspectives. My personal experience as a student in the 80s helped set me up for success in college and in my profession, not to mention providing a positive, faith-based environment for learning. The tradition continues today - stronger than ever. You just get a positive feeling when you walk through the campus, see the students and faculty interacting, or attend a sports, theater or fundraising event. My daughter is a recent graduate who received many scholarship offers and is now doing well in college, and my son is a current student. We are all proud to say we are Vikings!

Posted September 8, 2012

We moved from the east coast to Fort Myers. We didn't know anybody in this area. I did all my research about schools online. In BVHS we found a great school and wonderful friends. My son had a wonderful high school experience, graduated was honors and is attending a great college. While he was there, BVHS was chosen among the top 50 Catholic High Schools in America. No matter he already graduated he will always be a Viking and proud of it And so are we!!!

Posted September 7, 2012

Upon learning that were were going to be moving to SW FL, we brought our children down to see the schools. Once seeing Bishop Verot, our daughter immediately decided this was the school she wanted to attend. The staff, teachers & students were very helpful, friendly & made her feel welcome instantly. My husband & I toured the school with our children & were impressed with the small class sizes & the curriculum offered at Bishop Verot as well as the athletics & clubs available for the students. We especially like the commitment of the teachers & staff to the students success. I don't know of any other school where the teachers stay 30 mins after the final bell for tutorial. Our daughter was nervous on her 1st day of her freshman year in HS, especially being brand new to the area & knowing no one, but came home very happy. She told us she was SO glad that she chose BV because she absolutely LOVES being there. She made a ton of new friends, both freshman & upperclassmen, & felt like she really belongs. She has adjusted quickly to the amount of work given & is doing great in school. We couldn't be happier with our decision & look forward to our son attending BV in 2 years.

Posted September 7, 2012

Bishop Verot was the best experience my two kids had in their life. We are so proud to be part of the school family !!

Posted September 7, 2012

A year ago we began our search for a high school. I couldnt be happier that we chose Bishop Verot. Only 1 month into the school year and we are very pleased. There is a strong sense of community and belonging that its atmosphere provides. Parents who have already been apart of Bishop Verot are welcoming to the new families and the students are friendly and respectful.

Posted September 6, 2012

My son is a freshman this year and he loves Bishop Verot. He feels like he belongs to a community because there is true spirit throughout the school. His teachers are great and he is eager to get to school early everyday to have breakfast with friends. He struggled in middle school and was not motivated to do well. At Verot, he is challenged to do his best and good grades are encouraged. I love the discipline and high standards that are expected. I wanted a school that was small enough to give him individual attention yet have all the benefits of a "real" high school with sports, activities..etc. Bishop Verot has all this and plenty more.

Posted September 5, 2012

Have had two children at this school. Very happy with the quality of education and high level of challenge. Also a great caring atmosphere among educators and administration. Had another child at local IB school which did not come close in educational quality or caring and had none of the additional teaching on growing to be an ethical, unselfish contributor to society.

Posted September 4, 2012

I'm so pleased to have made the decision to send my Daughter to Bishop Verot, two years after her Brother graduated. I'm very excited about the vision of our new principal...and relieved to still have the feeling of family when we walk through the doors. My Daughter and I were talking about challenges that her friends are facing acclimating to high school......she said "mom, there is no bullying there". When a friend told us about teachers yelling and swearing in the local high school, my Daughter said she couldn't imagine such disrespect in the classrooms of Bishop Verot. I love the new communication systems and integration of technology and I respect the values that are being taught in conjunction with a superior education. The group of friends who graduated with my Son two years ago are all now excelling in their Jr. Years in College. They continue to support each other whenever they are back in town and can always count on somebody from the BV family to help with advise, networking, summer jobs or just about anything else that comes up. It's a community as well as an education and I am proud to be part of both.

Posted May 15, 2012

Speaking as an alumni, this school was horrible. Parents, if you want your children to be continually hazed or bullied by teachers and students alike, send your child here. If you are not a Catholic, you will be treated differently. The school claims to emphasize observance over participation in mass, yet teachers penalize a student for standing quietly and not singing during mass while paying no attention to people fooling around or making paper airplanes. The only redeeming quality of this school was a superior education to public school. (However, the average Lee County Public School education is not too hard to beat) The school thinks by being over-bearing and mega Catholic that they're creating better children. From a student's perspective, it only caused students to become better at hiding their cell phones, drugs, and alcohol.

Posted March 25, 2012

This school is excellent. Dedicated teachers that come in early and stay late to help students. The parents who gave low scores must have never had the public school experience in Lee County high schools. My son came there from a lee County public high school of his own accord because of the lack of discipline and dress code enforcement in public school. Fights every day and kids dressed very inappropriately.

Posted November 5, 2010

The core curriculum of honors courses for freshmen is excellent and provides a high standard for the students to reach. My child could not have found a better fit for her high school experience.

Posted February 17, 2010

My son graduated from Bishop Verot. In his years there, I found the faculty and administration caring and competent with very few exceptions. This is an excellent school where students have a chance to succeed and participate in a variety of extracurricular activities. I did not feel that religion or Catholicism was over emphasized, however the spirit of the Christian life was truly lived out there

Posted September 22, 2008

My daughter just started at Verot and is so happy to be in a high school where everybody cares for each other.

Posted August 21, 2007

I am extremely impressed with the administration and staff at Verot. I have a freshman student and the lengths at which the administration (and students) have gone to welcome and acclimate the incoming students is outstanding. Being a Catholic School, (proudly emphasized,) of course religion and teachings of Catholicism are prevalent in the school day and activities. While all denominations are welcome at Verot, students are attending a Catholic institution and Fr.Baretta emphasizes the rituals,and practices, etc. at school reflect the religion. The changes in dress code reduce the focus on trends, encourage modesty (again, part of Catholic teachings and beliefs)and encourage the student to focus on their studies, This is a welcome break from the bombardment our children recieve in the media, which has a strong emphasis on sexuality and self indulgence. Reputation brought us here.

Posted August 8, 2007

Bishop Verot provides a great education, but the EXTREME emphasis on religion is a con. This year the spring break was shortened in order to make the students attend mass during the school day almost every two weeks. Patch pockets, skirts, shorts (except bermuda shorts), and high heels were banned this year. The school only notified us of the change in July. The principal, is also planning on banning purses, backpacks, and bags even though female students need purses to carry feminine protection products in them.

Posted June 13, 2007

I have recently transferred due to the fact verot can be forceful of religion and overbearing on rules! students have to take a religion class and lose a opportunity to attend a class that could be more beneficial to them. overall the sports is amazing is I have played both football and basketball. BV is becoming more strict and the classes are difficult
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (239) 274-6798

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Venice

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5598 Sunrise Drive