No rating

Saint Francis Xavier

Private | PK-8 | 570 students

Living in Fort Myers

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $73,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted June 21, 2011

Our family could not be happier with the environment at Saint Francis! We have twins in VPK and another child in kindergarten and to say we were worried when the kids started this year would be an understatement. Being from up North, the environment seemed so different and we just weren't sure we would be happy but boy were we WRONG! Saint Francis does an incredible job of creating a "family" and the way the children are cared for is above and beyond. We were endlessly surprised by just how many staff members knew our children, their names, and made it a point to interact with them. They also integrate the older children with the younger ones at every opportunity which gives the little ones confidence because they have "big friends" at school and it teaches the older children kindness and patience. All of this is done with The Faith being the primary theme that runs throughout everything. Couple the wonderful environment with strong academics and you have an amazing school that will create for your children a strong foundation for all their future endeavors.

Posted June 17, 2011

This was our first year at St. Francis Xavier and we couldn't be happier! We were new to the area and were so disappointed at our school options until we found this school. Our twins were in Kindergarten and I am still amazed at how much they learned. They read so well, more than I was expecting, and they love school. Their teacher and aide were so great. I was the nervous mom leaving them for a full day of school and they were fantastic to our family. There is a feeling of community, from the administration, from the students, and from the parents. It strengthens our faith within our family, the kids teach us new prayers and they really enjoy what they learn. If we didn't find this school, I don't believe we would still be living in Florida, we would be back in New England. I am happy to say, I think we will be here for a long time.

Posted August 28, 2010

We have a daughter in 8th grade this year. I asked her the second week of school while she was getting ready (6:45a) "Do you like school?" without hesitation she answered, "Yep!" Knowing not only that she is getting an excellent education, her faith is nurtured and grows daily at St. Francis, her happiness as well as ours as parents is more than we expected when enrolling her all those years ago. We're on our last year at St. Francis, I've been teared up already knowing this wonderful blessing is coming to an end. The last day of school will be the close of a beautiful chapter for us, we are forever grateful to God for leading us here and for the teachers and staff at St. Francis. :)

Posted May 19, 2010

We could not be more pleased with the overall experience at St. Francis Xavier School. Our son is in the VPK program and has received outstanding care and compassion from his teachers, administration and volunteers. I have been invited to participate in the classroom on a weekly basis and have personally witnessed the individualized attention and guidance that each child receives, as the teachers recognize their different development needs. It is reassuring to me as a parent to know that my son is being treated with such concern and dignity. It is refreshing to me as a mental health professional to know that children are being groomed to become empathic, loving and responsible young adults.

Posted May 7, 2010

All five of our children and now grandchildren have attended St. Francis School and we are happy with the decision. The faith-based curriculum reinforced our teachings at home. An average St Francis pupil can be distinguished readily from that of other schools by their decorum. It also has helped them to compete very well academically in all subjects in the higher school years. Our grandchildren are now attending St Francis. We are very confident that they will receive the discipline, the faith and the academic lessons and the care that we have witnessed.

Posted March 3, 2010

We are blessed to be part of St. Francis Xavier. We have children in 2nd grade and in the VPK program, and they both love school, love their teachers, and the administrators. They are developing a love of learning and of school at a young age. Recently, there have been a few days when I thought my younger child might want to stay home and rest, just because she didn't seem like she was feeling 100%...and as soon as I would ask her if she wanted to stay home, she immediately perked up and wanted to go to school! And then a few days ago, my two children spent over an hour sitting together, reading and pretending to be their teachers! My oldest did most of the reading, but there were a few books that my 4 year old tried to read. One was a Dr. Seuss book and she was doing so well with it! We could not be happier with this school we are so thankful!

Posted January 22, 2010

We have two children attending Saint Francis. Our daughter is in first grade and our son is in the VPK program. From our daughter's first pre-k interviews we were welcomed with open arms. She had amazing kindergarten teachers who were perfect for an introduction into school. As a first grader she loves to read and is greatly motivated by the Accelerated Reader program. Our son is in the VPK program and absolutely loves it! He has learned so much from his wonderful teachers. He even asks to go to school on the weekends! As a 4-year old he is spelling phonetically and sounding out words. We love that they are learning daily about our faith and they are encouraged to live the school motto to 'Be Like Christ'. The extra curricular activities are top-notch. It is like a big extended family and we love being so involved with the school!

Posted October 26, 2009

The main priority for our children is to get the best Catholic education alongside stellar academics, and St. Francis has fulfilled this need indeed! The moment you enter the doors of this school, whether you are a student or a parent, you are made to feel welcome. Our two children who are in grades 5 and 7, have always felt happiest in this school ever since they first walked in as kindergarteners. As parents, we want our children to be in a safe, learning and faith-filled environment and this is the place for them to grow, be academically challenged without a doubt, and be reminded of the school motto and live it: 'Be Like Christ.' Thank you to all the wonderful staff and teachers that we have entrusted our children to. Thank you for your dedication and support!

Posted September 20, 2009

Great school! We are blessed that we were able to send our children. They attended from Kindergarten through 8th grade. It's not perfect, but what is? Our children received strong academics in every grade. Religious instruction that made it easy to carry forward at home. The administration cares for the children and a strong sense of family and dedication is evident when you walk through the door. The extracurricular activities are abundant and their is pride in the work done by children and teachers. If you're contemplating a private school education your child will be well prepared by attending St. Francis

Posted August 23, 2009

Seeing grandchildren grow in knowledge and faith thanks to the teachers at St. Francis is a true blessing. Those associated with Catholic Education understand the unique personal grace it can bring to a willing student. To know that your grandchildren have that opportunity in our St. Francis community is special indeed.

Posted August 23, 2009

I am a very involved parent and I always knew that my three children were happy and receiving an excellent academic education at St. Francis. I really came to more fully realize the impact when my daughter began high school and she shared with me how well prepared she felt she was to meet the academic, moral, and social pressures of high school because of her experience at St. Francis. I will always be grateful for the positive impact that St. Francis has had on the lives of my three children.

Posted August 18, 2009

Our children were enrolled in St. Francis this past year, and I have to say, we were not happy at all. It's a very old building with small rooms and dark, dreary hallways. The small classrooms are over crowded with children. For the price of tuition, class sizes should be much smaller. The teachers are not nuturing and are very stern, even for the smaller children. No idividualism....the classes are punished as a whole for something one child does, over and over again. No classroom management in the classes my children were in. The administration is lacking.....not aware of what is going on in the school or with the children. I feel that if I am going to pay tuition for school, that I should at least get what I pay for......we are trying a different private school this year.

Posted August 14, 2009

We have been a part of the St. Francis family for five years and currently have four children enrolled in the school. All of our children have had a very positive school experience. The faculty and staff have created a wonderful, faith-filled environment. We have such a sense of safety and peace sending our children there. Our children enjoy learning and love their teachers. Thank you to everyone who makes the school so special!

Posted July 19, 2009

My family's association with St. Francis Xavier School spans sixty-five years and three generations. We have all been strengthened both academically and spiritually by our education at St. Francis School. Though the physical layout of the school has changed over the years to keep up with the school's growth, the dedication and commitment of the administration, faculty and staff remain steadfast. Students continue to receive a faith-based education in an atmosphere that promotes leadership, responsibility and service. Our children were challenged academically by caring teachers who were always supportive and helpful, and left St. Francis feeling confident that they could compete academically at whichever school they chose to attend. I would like to thank everyone at St. Francis for giving our children a solid start, and congratulate Mrs. Betty Anderson for her dedication and loyalty to the school, its faculty, staff and students.

Posted July 15, 2009

Now that our sons have graduated from St. Francis Xavier School, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the administration, teachers and staff for their loving dedication to the spiritual and educational mission of the school. The academic environment at St. Francis is impressive on every level, and the school's mission, 'Be Like Christ', is woven throughout all aspects of each school day. First Grade gave our sons a strong foundation and an insatiable love of reading. We credit their academic success to the love of learning developed early in First Grade. Each grade level at St. Francis is nurturing in its own way. In Fourth Grade our sons found confidence through solid classroom instruction and entertaining activities including class plays. Middle School prepared them well for their transition to high school, and encouraged responsibility and service to others. No school could have prepared our sons better! Thank you!

Posted June 27, 2009

My son has attended St. Francis Xavier School for kindergarten - third grade. I can tell you without reservation that enrolling my son at St. Francis was one of the best decisions my husband and I have made concerning his education. All of the teachers have been wonderful, but I am especially grateful to his kindergarten and first grade teachers for the great start they gave him in reading. It does my heart good when I catch my son reading a book or when we pass a Barnes & Noble and he begs me to buy him just one more book. Aside from the academics, religious values are intertwined throughout the day. I know we are saying good-bye to one amazing principal who is retiring, but I trust the new administration will be just as wonderful. St. Francis receives a five star recommendation from me.

Posted June 8, 2009

Now that this school year has ended, I would like to write a thank you to the administration and teachers at St. Francis Xavier School. I currently have one child attending St. Francis and next year will have another in the new VPK program. We are looking so forward to having both our children enrolled at such a great, faith-filled school. We also want to thank our principal for all the wonderful work she has done. She has been an inspiration and a wonderful mentor and role model for our child and our family.

Posted May 28, 2009

I have one child currently attending St. Francis and another one that will be attending in the fall. I feel they are receiving the best quality faith education that Lee county has to offer. No other school comes close.

Posted May 20, 2009

I not only have three children attending St. Francis, I also attended St. Francis for 4th through 8th grade. My children are getting the same great education I received, as well as a good theological base to guide them throughout their lives. In fact, my middle child has one of the very teachers I had when I attended St. Francis. I can not think of a single former classmate of mine that did not go on to college and many went on to graduate school. As for me, I went on to obtain my bachelors degree and two post graduate degrees. I also have served as an elected offical for over a decade. I highly reccomend St. Francis.

Posted May 20, 2009

My three children currently attend St. Francis. As a former teacher, I have been more than satisfied with their curriculum. What I like the most, is that they really help reinforce a sense of community based on a religous foundation. I can not imagine my children going anywhere else.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Polish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Jan Ortenzo
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (239) 334-8605

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Venice

• Choir / Chorus
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
McKay, Step-Up, Parish

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Bishop Verot HS