No rating

Canterbury School

Private | PK-12 | 670 students

Living in Fort Myers

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $91,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted February 8, 2014

This school is private, and it is run like a business because it *is* a business. It's more expensive than other available options of similar caliber, but for that reason it may have room when the Fort Myers HS IB program and Edison Collegiate HS are just too full for your child. The physical plant is excellent, many of the teachers are, as well -- but some of them show odd signs of stress, which as a parent concerns me. Fort Myers/Cape Coral may be a city in many respects, but it is a small town when it comes to high-achievement schools, so it's unlikely a current Canterbury teacher will unload his or her burden here -- just saying, C-teachers, if you care to (or if you want to assure us all that the stresses displayed are personal and individual rather than systemic and having something to do with the management style or business model of the school), we are listening! Others have described 1) cliquishness and 2) being ignored by the administration. That's the "comfort zone" for the leading parents and administrators. If you want your C-child to go to an Ivy, make sure that s/he takes the SAT as well as the ACT, takes several AP exams, and has depth, breadth and passion!

Posted November 8, 2013

I attended grades 9-12 as a merit scholarship student. Canterbury has long be known to the Ivies as a decent feeder school, and your chances of being admitted as a Canterbury student will be good if you're otherwise qualified. Valedictorians from the IB program with utterly perfect credentials are regularly rejected from the Ivies. Heartbreaking, really. I'm well aware that I would have never been admitted to an Ivy league school, never formed friendships with world-famous intellectuals, etc., if I hadn't been given the scholarship to Canterbury. It's a strange feeling. What if on test day I'd had the flu? Maybe I'd be living in Ft. Myers, wearing Lacoste, and watching Fox News. On to my experience at Canterbury's upper school: I had wonderfully small classes. For the most part I adored my teachers. Since Canterbury considers teachers who have only a master's in their subject, many teachers really are much more intelligent and qualified than the average education degree holder. Yes, among administrators there's terrible favoritism towards big donors' kids, who are largely given a behavioral "pass." Off-putting, but things are far worse at prep schools in NYC, LA, etc.

Posted June 15, 2013

Don't go to this school. I have been here for many many years and it is just not worth the money (or any amount of money in my opinion). I am a straight A student and am completely and utterly bored here. Others, on the other hand, have weekly breakdowns because of all the stress. Either way, it's a caustic environment. The students are self-centered and horribly competitive, on top of being very 'clique-y' and all-around mean. The teachers, especially those hired in the last 2 or 3 years have no idea how to teach and there is a crazy amount of bias and favoritism as another reviewer stated. The administration is just as bad. They completely ignore any suggestions made by students and parents and continue to march along, screwing over the students in the process. This school is a factory that doesn't teach its students to be creative and doesn't individualise the learning process at all. Long story short: don't go to Canterbury (CSN, Fort Myers IB, or Bishop Verot are suggested)

Posted March 3, 2013

This school is one of the worst I have seen in many years. It is corrupt, there is so much bias and favoritism between the faculty and students. The faculty is unprofessional and inept. Most of the teachers do not know how to teach. The education there is not so much better than any public school, in fact you would be better off putting your child into the IB program at Fort Myers High School. The only thing on the school's mind is the money they get out of your pocket. Its like a business deal when enrolling your child. Put your money into better use.

Posted December 30, 2012

My daughter has attended this institution for 8 years...if you know your child as an exceptional student, the return on investment is unparalleled. You may consider other options that present a more fiscally stable position in the immediate future but you will ultimately prevent them from obtaining the best oppotunity available to enable thier extrordinary attribute. The student body here has a 99% acceptance rate for the past 5 years to the most pretigious schools in this nation. They understand they are mentally elite students the minute they walk through those doors because they are among those like them. Dont let others sway your opinion when considering this school...we have heard it all and it is based off of jealousy and the inability of there child to academically fit. The student body has a sense of comaraderie unseen at this level and push each other to excel in all areas of academics. The pusuit of excelence is instilled by the teachers and staff whom are the most respected educators in this state of Florida.

Posted June 17, 2012

This coming school year will me my third attending Canterbury. Before C-bury, I was in public school. The thing about Canterbury that upsets me the most is that we take better classes then other schools, but it doesn't reflect in our GPA. Hindsight, I wouldn't allow my parents to make me go to this school. I will admit, my friends are amazing, and I would do almost anything for most of them, but right now I can't see myself going to the college of my dreams. Which is the only reason I wanted to go to this school. My parents don't complain about the high tuition, but I wish they would. I want more then anything to leave this school, before it officially screws me over, but I don't think my parents will let me. Bottom line: the academic challenges we overcome at this school doesn't reflect where it should. So it isn't worth it. Don't send your child here. Naples Community School is a way better school.

Posted April 27, 2011

I am a former Canterbury parent. We had a horrible experience with our three children at this school. Our daughter's math teacher was terrible! She would go over things once and would ignore the kids who needed a little review or reinforcement. When we met with her, the only suggestion was to get a tutor...on top of the $16,000 tuition! On the other end of the spectrum, our son was not challenged at all in his class. He was bored and would get in trouble for talking, since he had already completed his work! There was no effort to provide extra enrichment, even though they claim that they can tailor the experience to the child. Also, some teachers were unable to handle the kids. I got a call during work about how my son was talking in gym class. Nothing else, just talking! I told them to make him sit separate from the other kids for the rest of the class. But really, shouldn't a teacher be able to handle this? Long story short, not worth the ridiculous prices!

Posted October 21, 2010

I'm currently a seventh grader at Canterbury and I have been here since 4th grade. I love it here! What I love most is that Canterbury is doing school work a grade higher than what grade we are in. I am in seventh grade and I am in Algebra 1. But Canterbury has pre-algebra, pre-algebra enrichment and Algebra 1. So if you are very good at math you would be in Algebra 1 or if your not that good at math you could be in pre-algebra. What I also love about this school is that I know I will get into a great college. This school is also dedicated to leadership and community service once you enter seventh grade you are required to do 10 hours of Community Service. I'm very grateful my parents sent me to Canterbury because there is no place I'd rather be.

Posted January 17, 2010

In my opinion, the high school is a bit overrated. The school work is challenging for the students, therefore making the GPA's lower then those in public schools making it harder for students to get into the colleges of there choice. I know of many students in public schools who have gotten into just as good if not better colleges with their high GPA. By the time your student is done at Canterbury, the money spent could be used for college. I wish I didn't send my daughter to Canterbury.

Posted January 12, 2009

I just moved to fort myers . As soon as I got to Canterbury, it felt like I had been there my whole life. Everyone welcomed me, and its not 'clique-y'. the teachers are amzing and really work with you if you are struggling. The dining hall is fantastic. although the school costs a lot, you should DEFINITELY invest in it.

Posted November 3, 2008

As an alumni, this school prepared me endlessly for success in the future. Small class sizes and great teachers make this a great fit for every child.

Posted January 15, 2008

a great college prep school. Has an excellent learning environment.

Posted April 14, 2005

Wonderful School. Plenty of extra curricular activities. Strong push for community service. Wonderful staff, good education.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Fax number
  • (239) 481-8339

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8141 College Parkway