Fort Myers, FL

Posted July 28, 2015
Canterbury school deserves 0 stars but, I have to put at least 1. The kids and their families were great. We made lots of friends. My dad worked there for three years and made a huge improvements to sports. However, after he left my brother and I were denied re-enrollment by the head of school without a reason. Yet he let kids the kids that did Bad stuff stay. The whole school knows about it. This sickens me that I can't be with my friends whom I am very close with and I have to find a new school. I did NOTHING to deserve this!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 28, 2015
This school hurt our children. They would not let them return for no good reason. They base all their decisions on politics and not the kids. What a sad place that is suppose to be teaching our kids good common core values.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 28, 2015
This school hurt our children by kicking them out for no reason. The new headmaster considered their return and then caved into political pressures once again. This school will never change.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 17, 2015
The honor code is not follwed at this school, and you would think it would be students who are not following the "code", but no it's the administration. Your child will not be happy. It is very clique-like and the majority of the staff uses favoritism. This school favors the people that are very wealthy but the people who aren't as wealthy are kicked to the side of the road. For example, a student smoked illegal drugs on campus and had no penalty, and sadly the only reason why is because this kids parents have an enormous amont of money the school wants it hands on. This school doesn't care about the name they earn they just care about money. It is basically " a bussiness." And there aren't 600 people at this school, it's just another one of their dirty little lies, there are really only 200 students. Don't come to this school you are much better off in the public school system or CSN, ECS, Bisop Verot and Estero High.

Posted July 17, 2015
I was a student at this school and I was not "allowed" to come back. No one would give me and my family a reason why. We put our hearts and souls into this school, then poof we can't come back. As a young girl this breaks my heart, all my friends I will no longer see, the teachers I have built relationships with will no longer be there for me, and now I have to "move on" like this is no big deal. This is a big deal in my life, it's going to be very difficult for me starting all over again. I did nothing wrong and nor did my sibling yet they can tell us we can't enroll again? I LOVED it here, and I can no longer say I had a good expirence. What these people did to my family was so cold-hearted and rude. And knowing that it was more than one persons decision rips me apart. I DONT recommend going to this school. If you are new to the area and don't know where would be best, you are much better off in the public school system. I hope this is helpful!

Posted April 04, 2015
Canterbury school deserves 0 stars but, I have to put at least 1. The kids and their families were great. We made lots of friends. My dad worked there for three years and made a huge improvements to sports. However, after he left my brother and I were denied re-enrollment by the head of school without a reason. Yet he let kids the kids that did illegal things stay. The whole school knows about it. This sickens me that I can't be with my friends whom I am very close with and I have to find a new school. I did NOTHING to deserve this!

Canterbury School 4

Posted February 08, 2014
This school is private, and it is run like a business because it *is* a business. It's more expensive than other available options of similar caliber, but for that reason it may have room when the Fort Myers HS IB program and Edison Collegiate HS are just too full for your child. The physical plant is excellent, many of the teachers are, as well -- but some of them show odd signs of stress, which as a parent concerns me. Fort Myers/Cape Coral may be a city in many respects, but it is a small town when it comes to high-achievement schools, so it's unlikely a current Canterbury teacher will unload his or her burden here -- just saying, C-teachers, if you care to (or if you want to assure us all that the stresses displayed are personal and individual rather than systemic and having something to do with the management style or business model of the school), we are listening! Others have described 1) cliquishness and 2) being ignored by the administration. That's the "comfort zone" for the leading parents and administrators. If you want your C-child to go to an Ivy, make sure that s/he takes the SAT as well as the ACT, takes several AP exams, and has depth, breadth and passion!

Canterbury School 4

Posted November 08, 2013
I attended grades 9-12 as a merit scholarship student. Canterbury has long be known to the Ivies as a decent feeder school, and your chances of being admitted as a Canterbury student will be good if you're otherwise qualified. Valedictorians from the IB program with utterly perfect credentials are regularly rejected from the Ivies. Heartbreaking, really. I'm well aware that I would have never been admitted to an Ivy league school, never formed friendships with world-famous intellectuals, etc., if I hadn't been given the scholarship to Canterbury. It's a strange feeling. What if on test day I'd had the flu? Maybe I'd be living in Ft. Myers, wearing Lacoste, and watching Fox News. On to my experience at Canterbury's upper school: I had wonderfully small classes. For the most part I adored my teachers. Since Canterbury considers teachers who have only a master's in their subject, many teachers really are much more intelligent and qualified than the average education degree holder. Yes, among administrators there's terrible favoritism towards big donors' kids, who are largely given a behavioral "pass." Off-putting, but things are far worse at prep schools in NYC, LA, etc.

Posted June 15, 2013
Don't go to this school. I have been here for many many years and it is just not worth the money (or any amount of money in my opinion). I am a straight A student and am completely and utterly bored here. Others, on the other hand, have weekly breakdowns because of all the stress. Either way, it's a caustic environment. The students are self-centered and horribly competitive, on top of being very 'clique-y' and all-around mean. The teachers, especially those hired in the last 2 or 3 years have no idea how to teach and there is a crazy amount of bias and favoritism as another reviewer stated. The administration is just as bad. They completely ignore any suggestions made by students and parents and continue to march along, screwing over the students in the process. This school is a factory that doesn't teach its students to be creative and doesn't individualise the learning process at all. Long story short: don't go to Canterbury (CSN, Fort Myers IB, or Bishop Verot are suggested)
8 people found this helpful

Posted March 03, 2013
This school is one of the worst I have seen in many years. It is corrupt, there is so much bias and favoritism between the faculty and students. The faculty is unprofessional and inept. Most of the teachers do not know how to teach. The education there is not so much better than any public school, in fact you would be better off putting your child into the IB program at Fort Myers High School. The only thing on the school's mind is the money they get out of your pocket. Its like a business deal when enrolling your child. Put your money into better use.
5 people found this helpful