Posted April 17, 2014
Heard only good things about this school from teachers and students. My daughter starts this year and she is looking forward to meeting new friends and taking sign language as her foreign language. She has been a Sixmile Charter Academy student for 8 years and has enjoyed each one.

Posted November 21, 2013
This school is lucky I'm giving it a star. The school is absolutely absurd! Teaching- average. Everything else? Absolutely unsatisfactory. Where's the school spirit? The nice staff that smile instead of threatening you? Our current assistant principal for 2013 will threaten you for the smallest things, like hugging your friend, along with the rest of the disciplinary staff. I thought high school would be amazing. Not a complete disaster. (This school has probably fueled all the hatred I have just developed for people in general.)

Posted May 18, 2013
WOW! Do not send your child to this school. Students are misbehaving until teachers will get fired! My daughter had 4 Spanish Teachers and 3 Math teachers in one year! The last one to stay has not even been a teacher but just a long- term substitute teacher. Bullying is a huge issue and no one cares. My child had to talk to 3 different teachers until someone talked at least to the other student. Administration prefers not to report any violence, drugs or bullying issues and rather get rid of teachers who try to do the right thing. My daughter attends a regular HS now and noticed how much she missed out on general knowledge at Gateway. They just practice for the FCAT and state testing. Real learning does not take place! A School, yes with a lot of sacrifice for our kids.

Posted August 16, 2012
My daughter went to this school and I found this school to be great! She graduated with honors and is now a second year pre-med student and on the dean's list at her university. You as a parent can not just send your kids to school and leave it all to the teacher. You as a parent has to play your part from day one of your child lives and You the student have to take responsibility for your learning. It's up to you to want to learn! At the beginning of each school year I would email each of my daughters teachers with my phone number letting them know to feel free to contact me. As the school year goes on I would send another email asking if my daughter was being respectful to her teachers and other students. I attended every parent teacher conference and returned every teacher phone calls and emails. I let my daughter know that she don't have to like her teachers but she Must show Respect to her teachers. And yes you are my child but that does not means that I will just take your word over your teacher. Parents get involve and Students take responsibility if not then don't come on here bashing the school and the teachers because YOU failed to do what was needed to succeed!

Gateway Charter High School 3

Posted November 23, 2011
Gateway Charter High School is in no way a real high school. Considering the building is an old business building, it doesn't actually look like a real school. The hallways are narrow and short in height. The walls are so insanely thin, you can hear a cough from two classrooms over. The lighting and lack of windows makes it seem gloomy, dark, depressing, and prison-like. Unlike other schools, 0% of our daily lunch is made by real people. It's disgusting and disturbing, and the price and length of lines are absurd. Besides that, the education is great. If you dont mind listening to teachers complain and getting insulted by your teachers daily. None of the teachers are actually qualified to teach the subject they're teaching. We've got some great curriculum this year though. I'm enrolled in a Law class, my favorite. Our football team hasn't won since 2009, probably due to our lack of a field. Our campus is ridiculously small, plus we're cramped in with 6th, 7th, and 8th graders too. If you're looking for a high school you can brag about, don't come. If you want to make lifelong friends and have amazing experiences, come on in! You won't learn, but you'll have a good time.

Posted July 03, 2011
Better then people say it is, i'm proud to be a student of GCHS. Don't let ungreatful students give an opinion on our school

Posted April 21, 2011
Rung like a business not a school. Most teachers are not certified and are inferior to their public school counter-parts... Save your children a lot of trouble in the future educational endeavors and send them to public school...

Posted March 29, 2011
don't EVER consider putting your child into this school. Horrible teaching staff, the teachers play favorites by giving students who dont do their work A's, and students who actually do their work a lower grade. If you need bus transportation, Gateway is the wrong decision, they cancelled half of the buses. New principle took away most of the fun activities. The sports teams (such as football and basketball) dont win ANY games, the football team went the whole season without winning or scoring points at all. Mostly everyone i know is leaving or has already left due to the poor teaching/ feeling of a real high school. The uniforms cost way to much. the school lies constantly, and in bullying situations, they say the will help but NEVER DO! Most of the juniors have left even though they have been there for years because the school has gotten that bad to the point where no one can handle it anymore. Ii is small, cramped, and gloomy. WORST choice of school.

Gateway Charter High School 3

Posted July 17, 2010
This school, like most in SW Florida, has its problems. The parent corporation is a huge problem, as they are mostly concerned with money (as any self-respecting "for profit" corporation should be). In this case, the money received from the state doesn't filter down to the teachers (who are paid about $10K less per year than teachers working for Lee County), and it definitely doesn't filter down to the students. Classrooms lack technology, students don't have textbooks to take home, and the school is seriously overcrowded (with core class sizes of 28+). Now, if you're considering GCHS as an alternative to a Lehigh Acres or Fort Myers high school, this could be a step up. Keep in mind, however, that parents have to do their part when it comes to children's educations.

Posted June 06, 2010
Outstanding school and quality of education. Staff is very dedicated. School is modern, comfortable and well equipped. Son graduated from charter this year and was amazed by the numbers of honor students and students receiving full scholarships. Probably 60% of the entire graduating class of some 150 students, impressive. I would rate the entire Charter school system at or above most expensive private institutions and would most highly recommend without reservation to any parent.

Gateway Charter High School
12770 Gateway Boulevard, Fort Myers, FL  33913
Last modified Gateway Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gateway Charter High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top