Gainesville, FL
Students enrolled: 2,015

Posted September 11, 2014
Buchholz is one of the realest schools you will find in gianesville, every school has its down-sides when it comes to the environment of which the students are in. The learning environment is great, students are challenged in all courses from intensive courses to the AP College Courses, about 97% of teachers truly want students to succeed and do everything in their power to make sure they do. As for the social environment, I appreciate, SO much that this is a racially diverse community with different religions, races and ethnicity's. This is a great way for people to better understand what the real world is going to be like, a place of unfamiliar worlds. I loved that this school wasn't segregated like the previous high school I was in for half the year. This school encourages races and groups of kids to get involved in clubs and activities and to interact with one another instead of avoid each other. The Principal & Deans Faculty is great for helping out with situations, the school could improve a bit when it comes to Guidance Counselors but otherwise I truly love and appreciate this school and all it has to offer me & my friends & family.

Posted September 09, 2014
Attended Buchholz and had an amazing education and an amazing experience. The teachers are caring and take the time to know their students. Their theater department is amazing and the language offerings are wonderful.

F. W. Buchholz High School 1

Posted January 16, 2013
Not too impressed with this school. We never spoke to our child's guidance counselor 1 time in the 4 yrs that our child attended Buchholz. They seemed disinterested in him as he was not a 'top' student, nor was he in the bottom, nor was he a discipline problem. So he was just shuffled through the system. This school is horribly overcrowded. The quality of the finance and entrepreneurship magnet programs there has gone way down hill over the years. It used to be selective. A lot of kids, uninterested in finance, apply for the program so they can attend Buchholz because some of their sports teams are quite good. So pretending to be interested in entrepreneurship and finance is a way to get into the school. BHS has the reputation of being the 'rich kid' school but it also draws from some impoverished areas as well. We are zoned for Buchholz but our other kids chose to attend academic magnet programs at the other high schools, and they had much better experiences at the other schools than our 1 son had at Buchholz.

F. W. Buchholz High School 4

Posted December 07, 2011
My daughter attends Buchholz and is challenged by the honor and AP courses available. Most of the teachers are pretty good..a few however have been lazy and shown to be illequipped to handle the level of knowlege required of an ap teacher..especically the AP.Biology teacher!!!! My staight A student had to go outside the school for help in order to understand the material enough to pass the test. (over half the class received extra tutoring). Buchholz, assess your teachers!!!! If only 40% of the class passes the AP test, there is a big problem!!!

Posted December 06, 2011
My child has attended BHS for two years and it has been a wonderful experience. Mr. Welker teaches Honors English and I could not be happier with the amazing job he did with the kids. A great mentor who challenges the intellect with creative, engaging assignments. Honestly, all the teachers are very good. And the principle is authoritative without being overbearing. It took a long time for me to be able to say this, but "I love high school!"

Posted August 08, 2010
Both of my daughters graduated from Buchholz, and, although completely different in their interests, extra-curricular and academic focus, both excelled the BHS environment. Considered the "AP School" in our county, the AP test pass of students committing to loading up with AP classes is extraordinary. The teachers are engaged, smart, witty and driven to see every student be the best (s)he can be. My youngest daughter just graduated in June, and was involved with BHS' nationally recognized band all four years. The memories, friendships and team-building skills she learned in this program will stay with her forever. Regarding the administration, well, let's just say that Mr. Perez is AMAZING. His team of assistant principals and guidance counselors assured that both of my girls received all of the support and advice they needed to commence the journey beyond high school. Finally, the parent organizations at Buchholz are the strongest I've ever encountered!

F. W. Buchholz High School 4

Posted November 24, 2009
My freshman daughter was new to Gainesville but managed to make friends relatively easy at Buchholz. They have a great athletic program and varied extracurriclar activites. There is some student 'snobbiness' but there always is! The teachers seem to respond with enthusiasm and dedication when their students show a desire to learn. My only complaint is the lack of communication between parents and school. They need to get with 2009 and send out an electronic newsletter at least monthly!

Posted November 13, 2009
I used to attend this school and I love it. The school offer many extra curricular activites and was a very family enviroment. Now I attend a school in DC and its nothing like Buchholz. I can truly say that this is the best school ever.

Posted August 11, 2009
Great school! The teachers are very engaging and awesome!

F. W. Buchholz High School 3

Posted July 23, 2009

F. W. Buchholz High School
5510 Northwest 27 Avenue, Gainesville, FL  32606
Last modified F. W. Buchholz High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
F. W. Buchholz High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top