No rating

Brentwood School

Private | PK-5

Living in Gainesville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted March 21, 2013

The first thing I noticed about Brentwood was that the teachers and the students seemed to be on the same team. I had noticed at other schools that the teachers sometimes seemed to be against the children, but at Brentwood there is no yelling, there is a level of respect for the students there that is nothing short of awe-inspring. It is a very calm atmosphere and a high level of accountability. The faculty are kind when they speak to the kids, are usually smiling and it is just a really good energy. Kids there seem confident and we joke that it is like a little safe place and how scary when they have to leave and go out into the big wide world for middle school. My daughter is in the 4th grade there and the few times that I have had a concern, the assistant Principal, Jennifer, has immediately addressed it and solved the problem with ideas that I hadn't even thought of. They are open minded and concerned and caring. The factually and staff is also respectful of the parents. There is no reprimanding when it comes to tardiness or absences. I don't have to get a doctors note when my daughter is sick. There is a level of trust and respect there that you will not find anywhere else.

Posted July 23, 2012

My daughter just finished first grade and she love the school. Teachers are very dedicated and know how to stimulate the creativity and motivation of every kid. I like that the school also offers a very good after-school program with different on-site classes (yoga, cooking, computers, ceramic..). It is a wonderful family friendly school!.

Posted May 22, 2012

We have 3 children at Brentwood ranging from preschool to upper elementary age. We left public school because it was only focused on the FCAT testing. Brentwood meets the different needs of each of our unique children. They get the perfect mix of being individuals and treated as siblings. The focus is very individualized and the learning pace is geared to each individual child with emphasis on play. They still have real recess and plenty of play time. The academic standards are high with many graduates moving up gifted magnet school programs and other private prep schools. However, the environment is completely relaxed and noncompetitive. Children learn at their own pace, not by arbitrary standards set by the state of Florida or other entities. We couldn't be happier at Brentwood where success is measured by individual growth not only in academics, but in each child's social and emotional growth. My kids especially love the art, music, iMac lab, the big shady playgrounds and the many field trips.

Posted April 27, 2012

I was not impressed with this school. I loved the atmosphere that Brentwood provided. All the staff were really nice, but I feel the education provided was subpar. If you are looking to pay a lot for a public school level of education, this school is perfect! It was waste of my child's time and my money. They did nothing to challange my child academically. When I moved to another state, I was told my child was not able to start school at his new location because of his lack of education. I was told to either consider public school, or to homeschool! I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 26, 2011

I have a child in preschool and a child entering first grade. They have both had a great experience so far at Brentwood. The teachers are caring and interested in the kids; they are creative and make learning fun for the kids. At least in kindergarten, children are not stuck to their chairs all day but have plenty of opportunity to play and have fun while also doing academic work. It really is a nice introduction to formal schooling. I don't think they push students academically as hard as the public schools here do, but my kids love going to school and to me at this age that is the most important thing. When my kindergartner would come home last year he would want to continue doing things he had been doing at school. and now he can't wait for first grade to start. Also he learned to read without having to do five billion reading tests and worksheets so they must be doing something right.

Posted June 29, 2011

I simply can't imagine my son having a better Kindergarten experience anywhere. He learned to read and has a great foundation in Math all the while learning through exploring geography, nature and other cultures. The teachers did a great job of truly building a communtiy of learners in their class. They not only taught facts and skills but fostered problem solving and cooperation among the students. My son was also encouraged to use his imagination. What a great educational start he received at Brentwood!

Posted June 14, 2011

I love Brentwood! Both of my girls attend and I have been happy since day one. The teachers and administration are wonderful and you cannot imagine the wonderful art that these kids produce. I am constantly impressed with the hands-on approach of the teachers and my girls are better for it!

Posted December 7, 2010

Brentwood has been a wonderful educational and social experience for my children who have attended since pre-K. The teachers are very experienced and thoughtful. I haven't noticed any significant behavior problems among the students as the teachers adeptly manage issues that arise and facilitate positive social skills and interactions. It's truly amazing how advanced my child is academically for being in the first grade. My kids love going to school.

Posted June 30, 2010

Brentwood's teacher's are simply excellent. They really seem to enjoy their job and love the children. This reflects well on the administration, as the teachers obviously feel supported. I am so impressed by the in-depth units prepared and taught by the teachers. My son has learned so much this year in such an encouraging and nuturing invironment. He simply loves school and can't wait to go back next year!

Posted February 22, 2010

My son is in the upper grades at Brentwood, having attended since pre-K. He loves the school, his teachers, and his friends, and is learning well. I do not understand the review stating that the older kids misbehave. My observation has been that any behavior which is disruptive, disrespectful, or dangerous is quickly called down-- and the kids listen. Even my elderly parents, who observed a class for a morning, were impressed by how attentive and respectful the children were. One reason I'm glad I have my son in this school is the absence of 'Lord of the Flies' attitude on the part of the other students. The teachers are respectful and kind, and teach the kids by both words and example.

Posted February 11, 2010

Great school for 2, 3 and 4 years old, but older kids misbehave constantly. 2 teachers per class and you cannot imagine the lack of discipline surrounding these kids.

Posted January 14, 2010

It's a good school for the first year. No more than Pre-K. The teachers are great and loving. Finally they have a Spanish teacher that really speaks Spanish. My daughter will be in kindergarten next year and we will taking her to public school. Again, good Pre-k and early years.

Posted November 3, 2009

My children have attended Brentwood for four years now. The teachers are experienced, thoughtful and caring. They have benefitted in many positive ways from their education at Brentwood.

Posted October 29, 2009

The kids love to learn and the whole environment is very friendly - it's a great place to be and you can see the kids love it.

Posted October 28, 2009

Brentwood School provides, a warm, safe, nurturing environment for children to learn and grow academically and socially. The staff is like a family and provides an amazing support system for employees as well as students. The kids are loved, accepted, and appreciated for their unique gifts and hard work.

Posted June 9, 2009

I love this school! All the teachers are so kind.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 2, 2009

We love the environment at Brentwood and the dedication and experience of the teachers

Posted October 8, 2008

Both of my sons attendestarting next year. My experience was wonderful. Parents were always welcome & every time I dropped by they were doing d Brentwood for Pre-school & I look forward to my daughter something developmentally appropriate. My boys were happy to go to school & happy when I picked them up. The administration was quick to address the needs of parents & responsive to suggestions. The teachers are loyal & dedicated, many of them have worked at the the school for 10+ years! It's a GREAT Pre-School!

Posted August 8, 2008

My son attended Brentwood for K-2. We have chosen to enroll our son in a public school. Teachers are a wonderful and kind, but the learning environment is not as great as I had expected for private school.

Posted May 26, 2008

I am a parent of a 6 year old and 10 year old. They both have attended Brentwood for several years. Brentwood is a great school. The teachers and administrators are very helpful and make the learning environment fun and stimulating. It is a very comfortable school and my children really enjoy learning and attending the school. We have been very blessed with the teachers they have had. Mr. and Mrs. Schakow are caring and wonderful educators who not only want to educate our children but encourage them (and parents) to be the best that they can be!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Fax number
  • (352) 378-7848

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1111 Northwest 55th Street