No rating

Millhopper Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 227 students

Living in Gainesville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $147,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted Thursday, August 28, 2014

Millhopper Montessori is a wonderful school in which we have seen our daughter absolutely thrive. All the teachers have been warm, caring and talented. There is also a great sense of family and community among the teachers, parents, and students. We couldn't be happier with the quality of the education our daughter has received.

Posted May 12, 2014

My child attends the middle school at Millhopper Montessori. We are incredibly pleased with the curriculum and the teachers at Millhopper. The atmosphere of teamwork, friendship among the kids, and the ability of the teachers to attend to the needs of the children, in my opinion, is unparalleled with any other middle school in town. I've watched many of the middle school graduates transition into the IB program and Cambridge programs without any trouble and expect our child to do the same. It's been a pleasure attending Millhopper.

Posted April 22, 2014

This school is well worth my daily 50 minute commute to get here. I have taught for more than 20 years. Most of my experience has been in Montessori kindergarten and pre-k but I have also worked in the public school system and for Head Start . When I moved to this area in 2006, I looked at this school and all the other Montessori programs in the area. I knew right away that this was the school I wanted to work at. Unfortunately at the time they were not in need of a teacher so I left my name and resume and took a job teaching second grade at the public school less than a mile from my home. While I enjoyed very much working with the children there, I certainly missed the Montessori materials and methodology I love so much. When I was called and asked if I was still interested in a position here a year later I chose this school and this job, taking a pay cut and adding a long commute daily. I do not regret that decision one minute because of the quality of this school, and the people who work here. It is the best and I want to be a part of this superior team. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants the best learning experience for their child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 17, 2014

Although I was concerned with the negative reviews I read here, I have enrolled my two sons at Millhopper Montessori. After two tours and several interviews with other Millhopper Montessori parents, I am certain that I have made right choice. As an educator myself, I am impressed with the format and rigor of the curriculum. The teacher appear to be committed to providing relevant and engaging information to their students. The facility is bright and clean. The staff are friendly and inviting. I am excited about my decision to enroll my sons, and look forward to what Millhopper Montessori will bring to my children's education.

Posted April 17, 2014

My two children both attended this school from preschool to their elementary years. I loved the calm, peaceful, and beautiful environment for them as young children. They were allowed to progress at their own pace, utilizing their strengths or taking extra time when they needed to. The teachers showed a deep care and understanding of my children, who were always happy to go to school. Their was a strong community feel between the families and teachers. A Montessori education is not a fit for everyone, and of course, no one school can serve every child's individual needs. However, I am extremely happy with my children's experience.

Posted March 21, 2014

Being a fellow educator, my husband and I spent a great deal of time searching for the best learning environment for our five-year-old. We visited several schools in town, but Millhopper was the one school that met all of our needs (and has continued to do so for the past two years). If you are looking for a school that cares about your child, promotes self-confidence, is academically challenging, and very communicative, than Millhopper is a perfect choice. Our daughter has been with the same teachers and friends for two years, and she just adores them. Every day she tells me something new that she has learned. She is reading very well and has begun multiplication. Most importantly, she is a confident young person who enjoys learning and school very much. I highly recommend Millhopper Montessori.

Posted February 7, 2014

Terrible place for my kid. Some kids may succeed here but they struggled with even a moderately active boy. we ended up pulling him out and within two weeks, three more boys all left additionally, when they divided up class, they put all the white kids in one room and all the rest in the other. they sent home a letter saying that it was by chance, but it was pretty remarkable to see. kids are not little adults and shouldn't be treated that way

Posted October 16, 2013

Our son attended MMS for his first year of preschool (age 4), but unfortunately didn t enjoy it. We loved many things about the school: the teachers were friendly and professional, providing him with activities that matched his interests and letting him move at his own pace. The academic side was there, but the social guidance part was lacking. Most of all, we wanted him to grow in character, confidence, and social maturity. Instead of each day greeting the people he should have become comfortable with, he would hide behind me, begging to go home. At the time, we just thought it was his personality. But we are seeing such a dramatic difference at his new school that now in hindsight we can see he just didn t feel accepted and cared for the way a 4 year old spending his first year outside the home needs. For his first year, I wish he d had unlimited hugs, acceptance as a whole person, and a strong bond with his teachers and class fostered as a top priority. Thankfully we have found that in his new school. While he did grow and develop in many ways at MMS, and most of his classmates seemed to be thriving, it just wasn t the optimal environment for our son.

Posted January 18, 2013

The best quality school in Gainesville. This is our fourth year in MMS and totally satisafied with the teachers, their teaching philosophy, and curriculum itself. Everyone in school tries to provide a safe learning envionment for every child regardless of race, culture, and religion. This school is very acedemic but also humanistic as well.

Posted December 18, 2012

We love this school! When you walk through the door it has a peaceful atmosphere, the children are "children" and don't act or dress like 25 year olds. Yes there is a high standard of behavior, but we wanted that in a school. Children learn best in a structured, calm environment. Our daughter had a speech delay and began MMS at 21/2 this past year. She sings constantly (even in Spanish!) and is speaking non stop since her language explosion. This school has made all of the difference for our little girl and her confidence. The middle school children all know her name and say good morning to her and give her high fives. We know she loves school because she stands at the front door on Saturdays and asks to go to school.

Posted December 9, 2012

My daughter attended Millhopper Montessori School from Pre-K through 8th grade. We had an excellent experience and found the teachers and entire school community to be like family. Many of the staff members have been with the school for nearly 30 years which in my opinion speaks to the professional leadership of it's Owner and Director Christina Miller. Our family would highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a Montessori education for their child in the Gainesville area.

Posted October 13, 2012

This school does not embody the typical Montessori school principles of self-learning and creativity. The Gainesville Montessori in Millhopper is based on rules and conformity. If your child does not "fit in", then they will be put in time out frequently. On any given day, children in the elementary program will be in time out for frivolous reasons such as not crossing your legs during circle time or running backwards during recess. As far as learning, my child was told by his teacher that he wasn't very smart. This did wonders for his self esteem. Parents with two children in this system have even voiced their concerns that their children have been compared to each other. Look, do yourself a favor and ask other parents who have their children in this school. Ask parents who have removed their children from this school. Get a real objective opinion before sending your child here. I really wished I did. There are a lot of families in Gainesville who regret sending their children here. You will too, if you don't do your research. We are learning that there are a lot of great schools in Gainesville, this isn't one of them.

Posted April 11, 2012

My son began kindergarten at MMS this year. I was initially trepidatious about enrolling him as there were some unfavorable online reviews stating that the teachers were cold, too strict, and had no patience for normal "child" behavior--and my son is a child who can be, at times, silly, distracted, challenging, etc. I don't want to discredit the other reviewers, but this has not been our experience at all. While our son's teacher is not effusively affectionate, she is kind and patient, and you can tell from her dedication to the class and her excitement about the curriculum that she is passionate about teaching. As for the expectations of behavior--yes, they are high. But, isn't that what you want for your child? At my son's previous school, there was minimal discipline, and as a result, constant noise, chaos, and distraction in the classroom so that the kids barely had a quiet moment to focus. At MMS, the children are expected to behave in a polite/civilized manner in the classroom, respecting peers and teachers, and saving the silliness for the playground. Other pros: Ethnically diverse student population, challenging/diverse curriculum, shaded playground, polite staff.

Posted January 21, 2012

My 2 children have attended this school since Kindergarten. The oldest wishes MMS had a high school. Our entire family has the highest praise for this school and for the teachers and staff. Thank you MMS!!!

Posted November 28, 2011

My daughter had a horrible time there and begged us to pull her out. Her best friend's mother was told that her daughter was not a "Montessori Learner" whatever that means for a kindergartner. Needless to say both young ladies did very well elsewhere and love school. Perhaps it provided them a relative metric for distinguishing good from bad, so perhaps my child did learn something beneficial while she was there.

Posted November 10, 2010

MMS is my home, wheni first came here i loved it from the start. they made me feal like family. the school is tought using the Montessori way created by maria Montessori. the pricipal is a nice, young, smart, and reasonable lady. the school is not a waist of money or time. i would personally recomend this school to anyone. i should know because i am still going to this school.

Posted April 12, 2010

I am an MMS graduate and i loved the teachers and experience. The teachers are helpful and are very caring .They care about the students and are always willing to help. MMS is like a community and i loved the eight years i spent there.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 3, 2009

The Montessori philosophy is only a portion of the reason we chose Millhopper Montessori School. The school's founder is a hands on creator and visionary. Her training and intuition have been the driving force to bring together and retain a group of teachers and staff who have given the school a spirit and personality that is inviting, safe, stimulating and above all a true center of learning for children and families.

Posted May 2, 2009

The teachers at Millhopper Montessori School are well-prepared, creative, and kind. We find the curriculum to be challenging in the best possible way, as it is both advanced and stimulating, with plenty of hands on learning. Their is a focus on education as a life-long pursuit. . The methodologies used by the teachers encourage global awareness and personal responsibility. In the three years our daughter has been at Millhopper Montessori school she has received individualized education (small group learning), many experiential learning opportunities, and less busy work and computer testing than at her previous private school. We wish we had switched her to MMS sooner. Her abilities and her enthusiasm have increased threefold. .

Posted April 2, 2009

As a parent of a pre-schooler, I have been extremely pleased with my child's progress at this school. The atmosphere is just like I would provide at home - structured and organized. The teachers set rules and the children learn respect and boundaries. They learn to be kind to each other. Their confidence soars as they accomplish new tasks which most children wouldn't even be exposed to until much older in public schools! Our child is ecstatic knowing she can go to school everyday and be challenged and treated with respect. She is proud of what she learns. We would not get this from ANY other pre-school or public school around. Our family would highly recommend this school for any age!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Volleyball Championship Game (2011)
  • Thespian Excellent Award at the Disney Competition (2010)
  • First & Second Placements in the state of FL in the Regional Science Fair (2009)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Christina J. Miller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook