Kimball Wiles Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 808 students

Posted September 13, 2013

We have been at Wiles since March of Kindergarten year and are starting the 5th grade year. We have had GREAT teachers; however, the Principal is horrible. The teachers, PTA and staff are afraid of her and to say anything even if they know the students best interest is at stake. She cares about the numbers and they will move students around to satisfy this regardless. We have experience of them moving our son into a class without communicating to us and appearing they knew best in 3rd grade. The extra class was not needed! It was the WORST year and affected his self-confidence the whole year and other subjects. We knew at that point the Principal does NOT know what is best and this would NOT happen again. We will be starting the 5th week of school and just now will be getting a designated teacher...poor planning. We just want to get this year done! I have heard much better things about our sister school and they have more gifted classes offered. Wish I had known that in 2009!

Posted July 8, 2013

I think Kimball Wiles is a great school . If you are a parent looking for a great school, got to wiles . I have read some negative comments on this website from wiles. Don't believe what they say . Most likely , the had a bad expieriance with a teacher , or wants to get back at someone . Please remember it you are good you life at Kimball Wiles Elementary will be good .

Posted April 18, 2013

Both my children currently attend Wiles Elementary. I am very pleased with the effort the teachers make to help children do their best each day. I noticed some negative comments about Wiles spending too much time getting ready for the FCAT. This has nothing to do with the teachers or the principal. This occurs in ALL the public elementary schools in our state. Please blame our state government for the FCAT, and for grading the schools. I know a lot of teachers...and have yet to meet one who likes the FCAT.

Posted November 6, 2012

I was a student at wiles from kindergarden to 5th grade, and after 6 years, looking back I recall the teachers to be horrid and they dont give a bloody squat about the students. All this school cares about is FCAT. It prepared me for FCAT, but not for my middle school years. If you would like to be prepared for FCAT but not for life, than go to this school. It would be 5 stars for you. I regret deeply not transffering to another school when I had the chance. All of my friends at wiles mostly aggreed that wiles was a distasteful school.

Posted June 12, 2012

The school teachers are not trained to deal with students that have any type of learning disability, and do not have any other staff to support children with learning disabilities. Homework and responsibility of learning are constantly being shoved to the parent because the teachers are busy teaching "the FCAT" so that they all can pass and the school can get a good score. There is not real care about the children well being and future by any of the staff, including the principal. When presented with the challenge of a student that cant "run with the pack", the teachers will label your child as lazy, depressed, among other names. They will offer you no testing of any sort or any kind of help to try to determine if your child has a disability or is actually not wanting to do the work. They just assume from the get go the child just does not want to do the work. My child's experience with this school was nothing short of a nightmare. I would recommend to not wait too long if you think your child might have a disability to seek for an alternate school. I guarantee that you will not receive any support from anyone at the school to actually help with your child's learning.

Posted March 8, 2012

It's a school to teach the parents how to home-school their children. I have never seen a school with such poor teaching abilities. True teachers that care for the student are not found here at all. They have no tact or care when it comes to a child with learning issues. I am completely disappointing. When my child went there I had no idea of zoning exemptions at the time or I would have filled out one immediately.

Posted February 27, 2011

I am extremely disappointed in this school. I find the teachers and principal to be lacking in knowledge about disorders such as ADHD and dyslexia and unwilling to voluntarily help my son get the IEP he so desperately needs, which I have been requesting for the past 2 years. They are slow to respond to the needs of children who are scoring below average and thus my son continues to fall farther and farther behind. Getting in touch with my son's teacher is difficult since she rarely answers my email and the daily progress sheet she is supposed to send home many times doesn't make it home. Much of the time she neglects to collect my son's folder and thus his homework doesn't get turned in and none comes home. This is despite the fact that she has been informed more than once that she needs to directly gather it from him because his disability can cause him to need reminding. It disheartens me greatly that I've had to endure this for 3 years. I am currently looking into a charter school to send my son to instead.

Posted August 28, 2010

My 3rd grader attends Wiles and has since Kindergarten and he LOVES it there. The Principal, Barbara Buys is exceptional. The staff is super friendly. PTA participation is very strong. The after school program ran by Mrs. Norris is great. I don't really agree wuth thesecurity issues mentioned in other reviews. I walk my son to his building in the morning where they wait in the hall (supervised) for the bell to ring. The traffic in the morning can be overwhelming the first few weeks of school but after that everything flows alot better. My son is excited and happy to school. I give it 5 stars on everything :)

Posted November 18, 2009

I have 2 children at Wiles and love it, so do my children who have amazing teachers and they love school, The school has a lot of events for the children, and they have a wonderful PTA. The only issue i have with the school is the security, They need to have more of it, Anyone as any time can walk onto campus without anyone knowing they do not have patrol or any type of hallway officers which I'm sad to say these days all schools need. they also need to step up there pick up line security, it seems they would let a kid go into anyone's car..which is sad... Beside those issues it is an excellent school and i am so happy my kids can go there.

Posted October 12, 2009

We currently have one child at this school and are admittedly underwhelmed. The biggest concern is the safety issue. Anyone can wander through the halls through 7:45 p.m. Worse is the traffic situation, which school officials make no effort to regulate. Third problem is the lack of incentive programs for reading and math. Admittedly we were spoiled by the public school we attended before this one, but the air of disorganization in everything from transportation to curriculum is unsettling.

Posted September 17, 2009

Both of my grandchildren went to th same private pre-school and kindergarten..Wles made the transition to public school a very good experience for them. These boys love to go to school. The family participates in activities that are planned for the school after hours.

Posted September 17, 2009

I love everything about Wiles! The principal Dr. Buys, the teachers and other staff, the parents, we have a great PTA and we do so many fun things and the kids seem so happy and eager to learn.

Posted September 26, 2008

When I moved to Gainesville with my family last year, we picked a house in the Wiles district because we had heard such remarkable things about the school, and they consistently rank in the top 3 of schools in the district. If all you're interested in is FCAT scores, I guess you would rank this school in the top 3. There are very few great teachers (one teacher in the primary grades is truly remarkable), and the communication between the school and the parents is laughable. School leadership is poor and nepotism is RAMPANT. The principal couldn't care less about the well-being and education of your child, all she is concerned about is the school's FCAT score. The school is riding on the coattails of outstanding school awards from 7 years ago, prior to redistricting and the building of Lawton Chiles, where most of the UF faculty send their children now.

Posted September 4, 2008

I have heard for years what a wonderful school Wiles is and was very exited for my child to start school. Now in our second year I continue to be disappointed. They seem to care about nothing but the FCATS, and not about the over all development and true education of the children. Communication is difficult as problems and concerns (unless it is something that may affect an fcat score) are not addressed respectfully by administration. Over all I am disappointed with the school and the administration. The teachers that I have met I think are doing the best with the rules they have to follow.

Posted January 30, 2008

I have had my child at Wiles for 3 years now. If your goal is to see your child do well on the FCAT boy this is the school for you! They do not teach cursive writting, do not have any social studies during second and third grade, have cut back their science to laughable proportions. No language is offered. The entire cirriculum consists of reading and math. The administration shows little if any interest in providing a well rounded education. The PTA which had been very active is now having problems finding parents interested in continuing to serve.

Posted July 23, 2007

I have been a proud Wiles parent for several years now. Both of my children have done relatively well at the school until last year when we had a bad experience with one teacher. However, all of the teachers prior have been exceptional and open to communication. Although Wiles have been a 'A' school and seems to excel academically in one sense, I feel that there is room for improvement to push academic excellence for all children. The Wiles PTA also is very active with the school and is always looking for new parents to get involved in the PTA. The Principal is great and is involved with everything,including the PTA. She shows up to all school activities (even clean up days)! I would like to see more extracurricular activities offered at the school. The school does lack in keeping an updated website and does not utilize this source for parent

Posted July 11, 2006

The extracurricular activities include art and Spanish language after school for a fee. Parent involvement is probably what make it as good as it is. The communication between teacher and parent is lacking and is probably its biggest weakness. The teacher we had was certainly afraid to use the parental help available to her for her class which certainly hurt the class after the class load grew. School work that they were working on did not get reviewed with the parent so that we could help our child unless we sat in on a class to see where our child was with his studies and where the average child was so that we could make sure our child was caught up. We also did look at the work coming home and made sure he understood what was coming home. The curriculum is very good, but keeping up was very difficult.

Posted September 19, 2005

Both of my children attend Kimball Wiles Elementary School. When we first moved to this area of town, I was concerned about the level of parental involvement and commitment to the school. But I have found in my older child's four years at Wiles that this school has the best PTA in Alachua County, an awesome principal who is committed to high moral standards and values, as well as high academic achievement. The teachers are equally committed to every child and his or her educational and personal development. Art, music, p.e., computer lab, and media are each offered once a week. There are many extracurricular activities, some supported by the school and others outside the school. The parental involvement is high, especially when compared to other public elementary schools in the county. It's a really good school.

Posted September 14, 2005

The parent involvement at this school can't be beat! The school has a lot of spirit and a wonderful PTA. It is an inviting school. The academic program, however, leaves something to be desired. The classes are large (32 kids) even at the primary level. Reading teachers teach whole group instruction and not based on students' individual reading levels. Gifted program is only tied to math, weak program. Below level students, however, receive most of the school's resources and have experienced much success.

Posted July 12, 2005

My daughter attended Wiles for her fourth and fifth grade years. It is an excellent school. She really enjoyed it and felt comfortable there. The teachers communicate with the parents consistently. The PTA is very active. Their are many fundraisers and just alot of friendly people. They do have an excellent gifted program, of which my daughter was not in, but I do know some parents who haved specifically placed their children at Wiles because of it. They do have many extracurricular activities such as an art club, chess club, orfan club (musical instruments) which meet Wednesdays, the short day after school. I definitely am glad my child attended Wiles, she had a great school experience and gained confidence in her learning skills.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

130 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

129 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

125 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

78 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• DR. BARBARA N BUYS
Fax number
  • (352) 955-7124

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now