Gainesville, FL

Posted September 13, 2013
We have been at Wiles since March of Kindergarten year and are starting the 5th grade year. We have had GREAT teachers; however, the Principal is horrible. The teachers, PTA and staff are afraid of her and to say anything even if they know the students best interest is at stake. She cares about the numbers and they will move students around to satisfy this regardless. We have experience of them moving our son into a class without communicating to us and appearing they knew best in 3rd grade. The extra class was not needed! It was the WORST year and affected his self-confidence the whole year and other subjects. We knew at that point the Principal does NOT know what is best and this would NOT happen again. We will be starting the 5th week of school and just now will be getting a designated teacher...poor planning. We just want to get this year done! I have heard much better things about our sister school and they have more gifted classes offered. Wish I had known that in 2009!

Posted July 08, 2013
I think Kimball Wiles is a great school . If you are a parent looking for a great school, got to wiles . I have read some negative comments on this website from wiles. Don't believe what they say . Most likely , the had a bad expieriance with a teacher , or wants to get back at someone . Please remember it you are good you life at Kimball Wiles Elementary will be good .

Kimball Wiles Elementary School 4

Posted April 18, 2013
Both my children currently attend Wiles Elementary. I am very pleased with the effort the teachers make to help children do their best each day. I noticed some negative comments about Wiles spending too much time getting ready for the FCAT. This has nothing to do with the teachers or the principal. This occurs in ALL the public elementary schools in our state. Please blame our state government for the FCAT, and for grading the schools. I know a lot of teachers...and have yet to meet one who likes the FCAT.

Posted November 06, 2012
I was a student at wiles from kindergarden to 5th grade, and after 6 years, looking back I recall the teachers to be horrid and they dont give a bloody squat about the students. All this school cares about is FCAT. It prepared me for FCAT, but not for my middle school years. If you would like to be prepared for FCAT but not for life, than go to this school. It would be 5 stars for you. I regret deeply not transffering to another school when I had the chance. All of my friends at wiles mostly aggreed that wiles was a distasteful school.

Posted June 12, 2012
The school teachers are not trained to deal with students that have any type of learning disability, and do not have any other staff to support children with learning disabilities. Homework and responsibility of learning are constantly being shoved to the parent because the teachers are busy teaching "the FCAT" so that they all can pass and the school can get a good score. There is not real care about the children well being and future by any of the staff, including the principal. When presented with the challenge of a student that cant "run with the pack", the teachers will label your child as lazy, depressed, among other names. They will offer you no testing of any sort or any kind of help to try to determine if your child has a disability or is actually not wanting to do the work. They just assume from the get go the child just does not want to do the work. My child's experience with this school was nothing short of a nightmare. I would recommend to not wait too long if you think your child might have a disability to seek for an alternate school. I guarantee that you will not receive any support from anyone at the school to actually help with your child's learning.

Posted March 08, 2012
It's a school to teach the parents how to home-school their children. I have never seen a school with such poor teaching abilities. True teachers that care for the student are not found here at all. They have no tact or care when it comes to a child with learning issues. I am completely disappointing. When my child went there I had no idea of zoning exemptions at the time or I would have filled out one immediately.

Kimball Wiles Elementary School 2

Posted February 27, 2011
I am extremely disappointed in this school. I find the teachers and principal to be lacking in knowledge about disorders such as ADHD and dyslexia and unwilling to voluntarily help my son get the IEP he so desperately needs, which I have been requesting for the past 2 years. They are slow to respond to the needs of children who are scoring below average and thus my son continues to fall farther and farther behind. Getting in touch with my son's teacher is difficult since she rarely answers my email and the daily progress sheet she is supposed to send home many times doesn't make it home. Much of the time she neglects to collect my son's folder and thus his homework doesn't get turned in and none comes home. This is despite the fact that she has been informed more than once that she needs to directly gather it from him because his disability can cause him to need reminding. It disheartens me greatly that I've had to endure this for 3 years. I am currently looking into a charter school to send my son to instead.

Posted August 28, 2010
My 3rd grader attends Wiles and has since Kindergarten and he LOVES it there. The Principal, Barbara Buys is exceptional. The staff is super friendly. PTA participation is very strong. The after school program ran by Mrs. Norris is great. I don't really agree wuth thesecurity issues mentioned in other reviews. I walk my son to his building in the morning where they wait in the hall (supervised) for the bell to ring. The traffic in the morning can be overwhelming the first few weeks of school but after that everything flows alot better. My son is excited and happy to school. I give it 5 stars on everything :)

Posted November 18, 2009
I have 2 children at Wiles and love it, so do my children who have amazing teachers and they love school, The school has a lot of events for the children, and they have a wonderful PTA. The only issue i have with the school is the security, They need to have more of it, Anyone as any time can walk onto campus without anyone knowing they do not have patrol or any type of hallway officers which I'm sad to say these days all schools need. they also need to step up there pick up line security, it seems they would let a kid go into anyone's car..which is sad... Beside those issues it is an excellent school and i am so happy my kids can go there.

Kimball Wiles Elementary School 3

Posted October 12, 2009
We currently have one child at this school and are admittedly underwhelmed. The biggest concern is the safety issue. Anyone can wander through the halls through 7:45 p.m. Worse is the traffic situation, which school officials make no effort to regulate. Third problem is the lack of incentive programs for reading and math. Admittedly we were spoiled by the public school we attended before this one, but the air of disorganization in everything from transportation to curriculum is unsettling.

Kimball Wiles Elementary School
4601 Southwest 75th Street, Gainesville, FL  32608
Last modified Kimball Wiles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kimball Wiles Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top