718 students|Alachua

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Lawton Chiles is a family school. we , the parents, at Lawton Chiles are so involve in the school that's make the school a great and better school in town. I have 2 children at chiles, the whole staff (teachers, principal, front desk people, nurse, people in the cafeteria, maintenance) are great. I enjoy going to the school every to see how people interact each other. Very good school.

I am not only a parent at LCES but also a substitute teacher in the county so I get the inside of many elementary school in our city and Chiles is the best school we have so far; as an employee of the county I could probably ask to place my children in any school, but it happens that Chiles is the school we are zoned for and it is the best school there is. From the principal all the way to the teachers and support staff we couldn't find any better! Someone wrote here about teachers passing candy to the kids, Chiles has a NO CANDY policy and I can atest to it because when I sub it is one of the rules. My child has been in this school since K and I hate to think that he will have to leave after 5th grade. If you knew what goes one in some of the schools I sub...WOW! Chiles has the best that is available in this area!

My daughter has attended LCES since 2006 in kindergarten. She'll be a 5th grader this year and she is making long strides! I'm very proud of her and the teachers that have been her backbone throughout her school career. My daughter has been an ESE student since 1st grade and I have to say that they gave her an ESE teacher and she has followed her since 1st grade. I think it's wonderful that the same teacher helps my daughter excel throughout ALL of her classes, every year. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LCES!! Keep up the dedication to the students!

My daughter just completed her 1st grade year and I have been extremely happy with our experience at LCES. My son is getting ready to start kindergarten and we are looking forward to having two children attending LCES. The teachers and staff are so nice and helpful and so many parents try to devote time to volunteering which is amazing. Coming from a family of teachers I can say this is a great school.

Both of my daughters have attended CES--one is now a 5th grader, and one is now at Kanapaha Middle School. They have had wonderful experiences, are learning a lot, have developed good friendships, and are well prepared for middle school. Can't believe a parent gave this school a two star rating because they gave out candy as a reward occasionally--silly!

Extremely disappointed! The school faculty mails information home about healthy eating, childhood diabetes, etc, but many of the teachers use candy on a daily basis to reward kids for good behavior, class participation, and good grades. I have extensively researched if using food or candy as a reward is a good idea. Everything I have found thus far clearly states that it is not a good idea to use food, especially candy, as a reward. Overweight child or not, it's just not healthy for their bodies in general (including teeth) and it is not creating good eating ideas and habits in their young minds. The principal does not see anything wrong with what her teachers are doing. I am not surprised because it would not go on if the principal was against the use of candy as a reward. Let me do say though, that there are many good teachers there who know what they are doing and don't take the lazy road. Too bad I can't say that about all of them. I really wish the school had a no-candy policy (my understanding is that it's up to the principal). There are numerous other ways to motivate and teach our beautiful children without causing irreparable damage.

Chiles is a great elementary school. I have been very happy with the teachers that my two kids have had. The principal and assistant principal are very involved and visible at events. There is good communication from the teachers, the administration and PTO to the parents. I have been happy with the after school program (EDEP) at this school too.

Wonderful school, absolutely great teachers. My children have grown so much the past couple years with these caring teachers. I would pay more taxes if it would actually go to the educators/schools and not the bureaucrats. About the only two things that hamper this school and its students are teacher pay and the Florida legislature. The exact student per classroom law is ridiculous. Hope to change that law in November voting.

Great school. Works to include all children who can succeed with some accommodations. High expectations for all students.

This shcool is really lacking in the area of Special education support. If your child has special needs don't go here. If the regular teacher can't do it, it won't get done. (Which is sad since they are so busy already.) Not recommended if your child is outside the norm.

Last modified Lawton M. Chiles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.