Posted June 04, 2014
Healthy Learning Academy is an excellent school for learning and development. I have twins who started kindergarten this year (2013-14). I can't imagine that any school could have been a better place for my kids to be. Every day they are given messages by the principal, Ms. Egan, that they unique, beautiful, wonderful, and loved by her and her staff. What a great was to start the day. The kindergarten teacher, Ms. Sydney, is one of the loveliest and patient people I have ever met. She and her assistant have helped the kindergartners to become good learners. During the day, the students focus on mind and body development through instructional lessons as well as yoga and PE. They also receive art and music throughout the week. As a charter school parent, involvement is a requirement but doesn't feel that way. As a parent you want to be present. There is only one class per grade so you get to know all the students and want to help them succeed by listening to them read or sharing a new skill with them. Ms. Egan knows all the students personally and goes above and beyond to make sure their needs are met. We are truly lucky to be at HLA.

Posted June 01, 2014
Healthy Learning Academy is an exceptional school . The teachers and principal treat children like family and they go the extra mile to assure that every child's need is met. We came to this school when my child was failing in another public school . My child's grades improved significantly and her attitude and confidence improved as well. I love their healthy body and mind approach. They walk their walk and every staff member serves as an example of kindness and exceptional role model. This is the school I would recommend for family and friends if your child struggles at school or if you are looking for a smaller setting. They pay attention to detail and their hands on approach is impressive. Mrs Egan is an excellent principal. I can't thank them enough for taking such great care of my child. Their after school program is excellent as well. They have very creative and engaging staff from morning until the end of the day.

Posted March 02, 2014
Our daughter attended HLA from K-5th grade. She was one of the first graduates who attended the school from the beginning until the end. During the entire experience, I knew HLA was wonderful. Our daughter loved going to school and had a genuine interest in learning. The skills and habits she was really harnessing there, however, weren't truly apparent until she entered the sixth grade. We were concerned about her going from such a small school where she knew everyone to a huge school that was a little more mainstream. She's in the Cambridge program which is for advanced students and has really thrived there. She has the most amazing work habits and she is intrinsically motivated. In addition, she is organized, respectful, and interested. Aside from that, she continues to choose healthy friends and healthy foods. We are now sending our middle child there with confidence. We love this place:)

Posted June 19, 2013
We love Healthy Learning Academy!!! This school has it all. Small class sizes; wonderful principal and staff; monthly family nights and parent involvement; teaching the curriculum and not to the test (and yet the students all pass usually well above the state average); daily yoga, p.e., and recess!!! They have morning meetings where they sing and focus on character development. They teach children healthy living, they work in the garden and cook in the kitchen, and drink from their water bottles. It is an AMAZING school and we feel so blessed to have found it.

Posted May 25, 2013
This is a small school. My children get a lot of individualized attention. The principal is very proactive, and stays on top of what goes on. I have been so impressed with the teachers, they truly seem to have a passion for what they do. We feel so grateful to have found this little gem.

Posted June 22, 2011
My deepest sympathy truly goes to the challenges your family faces with your sick little one. I would like to share my experience at HLA with my child's retention. My 1st grader had been struggling with math throughout the year; was at grade level but struggled and was insecure, despite receiving extra help from Mrs. Little (the teacher's asst). One evening I received a call from the principal who suggested, in an utmost courteous manner, retaining my child. She left the decision in our hands and our hands only since he was testing at grade level, although barely. Because I knew how he struggled, felt ashamed and imcompetent, I was on board with no questions asked. It was my thought and still is that it would be better to go ahead and address the issue while he was still young, rather than down the road when it would likely be more distrupting to his self esteem. He repeated the 1st grade the following year with great success and confidence. He took the FCAT this year and received 3 and 4s but more importantly, feels good about himself. I never felt pressured to retain him by the principal and in fact was made to feel very supported even if my decision had been to not retain him.

Healthy Learning Academy Charter School 1

Posted June 06, 2011
The principal of this school wanted to retain my kindergartner, she showed me my sons writing journal & a drawing. I was shown NO test scores, or work in any other subjects. She then told me my son was developmentally delayed, which she is not qualified to do, and had little to support her statement. Not to mention if that were the case she should have ordered testing on him during the school year. She then used my 4 yr old son that has leukemia as an excuse to retain my son, citing that if we put my son in to 1st grade & something were to happen to my 4yr old, we wouldn't be able to meet my older sons educational needs. She has not complied with our requests to see proof of testing done on my son to suggest a delay...because there was none done. Since this has happened to us, I have learned from other parents of ways that this school is ran, and had I known what I know now, I NEVER would have sent my child there.

Posted June 04, 2011
We love HLA. I was so afraid to send my child to school. I was concerned about my sweet little child getting exposed to children that have grown up in less than perfect family environments and picking up bad behavior, or being subject to bad behavior. The families at HLA are so involved and caring and have similar child rearing practices as my wife and I do. As a selfish parent, I am grateful when I see the discipline problem children pulled out by their parents. Who needs them in our peaceful school?

Posted June 02, 2011
We LOVE HLA!! We love the teachers, the curriculum, & the families who send their children to school here. It is mandatory that each family volunteer a certain number of hours each year, but that just goes to show that your child will be in school with children who's families actually care about their education. HLA communicates with parents regularly via email & letters home, so you always know what's going on & what the kids are learning. Their philosophy is much more holistic - they look at your child as a whole, as opposed to diagnosing every problem as ADHD. I will say that HLA isn't for everyone... if you make demands that they should change the way they do things - then you're probably not HLA material. The way they teach / run the school is fantastic & works for so many, they're not going to change everything for one person. Don t get me wrong, they are very accommodating & have an excellent resource teacher that gives students extra help when needed. But I have seen situations where either the parents or child did not fit the mold, or started making demands that strayed from HLA s mission statement. We have been extremely happy & look forward another year at HLA!

Posted April 16, 2011
The staff and Principal at this school are the most dedicated group of educatiors I have seen at a school. They have every child's best interest at heart and will do everything within their powers to ensure that each child is receiving the maximum benefit from their education at HLA. The curriculum is top-notch, covering all Sunshine State Standards, while intergrating movement, music and hands-on activities throughout the day. Parent involvement is high and students love actually look forward to attending school each and every day!

Healthy Learning Academy Charter School
13505 West Newberry Rd, Gainesville, FL  32605
Last modified Healthy Learning Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Healthy Learning Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top