Posted May 14, 2015
My family and I moved to Florida from Iowa mid school year 2013 I enrolled my daughter at HLA and have nothing but praise for the teachers, principal and parents of HLA. The teachers have gone above and beyond to help my daughter and the strides she has made in the last year and a half have been just amazing! I am certain that my daughter would not be as far along in her education if I would have enrolled her elsewhere. We have had many struggles and this school has been so supportive.

Posted March 06, 2015
I have been driving my two daughters an hr and a half each way to attend this great school for 4 years. The teachers are excellent and the principle is extremely helpful and involved. If you want the best education and you do not mind participating a little bit, there is no question that Healthy Learning Academy is the best opportunity for your children to become healthier, smarter and positive. After two years attending a well-rated public school, the difference in their education and development has been polarizing with Healthy Learning Academy.

Posted June 04, 2014
Healthy Learning Academy is an excellent school for learning and development. I have twins who started kindergarten this year (2013-14). I can't imagine that any school could have been a better place for my kids to be. Every day they are given messages by the principal, Ms. Egan, that they unique, beautiful, wonderful, and loved by her and her staff. What a great was to start the day. The kindergarten teacher, Ms. Sydney, is one of the loveliest and patient people I have ever met. She and her assistant have helped the kindergartners to become good learners. During the day, the students focus on mind and body development through instructional lessons as well as yoga and PE. They also receive art and music throughout the week. As a charter school parent, involvement is a requirement but doesn't feel that way. As a parent you want to be present. There is only one class per grade so you get to know all the students and want to help them succeed by listening to them read or sharing a new skill with them. Ms. Egan knows all the students personally and goes above and beyond to make sure their needs are met. We are truly lucky to be at HLA.

Posted June 01, 2014
Healthy Learning Academy is an exceptional school . The teachers and principal treat children like family and they go the extra mile to assure that every child's need is met. We came to this school when my child was failing in another public school . My child's grades improved significantly and her attitude and confidence improved as well. I love their healthy body and mind approach. They walk their walk and every staff member serves as an example of kindness and exceptional role model. This is the school I would recommend for family and friends if your child struggles at school or if you are looking for a smaller setting. They pay attention to detail and their hands on approach is impressive. Mrs Egan is an excellent principal. I can't thank them enough for taking such great care of my child. Their after school program is excellent as well. They have very creative and engaging staff from morning until the end of the day.

Posted March 02, 2014
Our daughter attended HLA from K-5th grade. She was one of the first graduates who attended the school from the beginning until the end. During the entire experience, I knew HLA was wonderful. Our daughter loved going to school and had a genuine interest in learning. The skills and habits she was really harnessing there, however, weren't truly apparent until she entered the sixth grade. We were concerned about her going from such a small school where she knew everyone to a huge school that was a little more mainstream. She's in the Cambridge program which is for advanced students and has really thrived there. She has the most amazing work habits and she is intrinsically motivated. In addition, she is organized, respectful, and interested. Aside from that, she continues to choose healthy friends and healthy foods. We are now sending our middle child there with confidence. We love this place:)

Posted June 19, 2013
We love Healthy Learning Academy!!! This school has it all. Small class sizes; wonderful principal and staff; monthly family nights and parent involvement; teaching the curriculum and not to the test (and yet the students all pass usually well above the state average); daily yoga, p.e., and recess!!! They have morning meetings where they sing and focus on character development. They teach children healthy living, they work in the garden and cook in the kitchen, and drink from their water bottles. It is an AMAZING school and we feel so blessed to have found it.

Posted May 25, 2013
This is a small school. My children get a lot of individualized attention. The principal is very proactive, and stays on top of what goes on. I have been so impressed with the teachers, they truly seem to have a passion for what they do. We feel so grateful to have found this little gem.

Healthy Learning Academy Charter School 1

Posted March 21, 2013
I know some people who have had a good experience with this school. But we did not. I did appreciate the good intentions and the welcoming of parent involvement in the classrooms. But we didn't stay because there was an odd atmosphere of staff against the students. For us, the discipline outside of the classroom (at yoga, recess and lunch) was too negative. When I observed from afar one day at lunch, none of the teachers out there were smiling, everyone seemed angry, the kids were in trouble for trivial reasons. I didn't feel good about leaving my child here while I was away. I know some people really love this school, but I need to know that my child is being cared for with more respect that what I saw happening.

Posted June 22, 2011
My deepest sympathy truly goes to the challenges your family faces with your sick little one. I would like to share my experience at HLA with my child's retention. My 1st grader had been struggling with math throughout the year; was at grade level but struggled and was insecure, despite receiving extra help from Mrs. Little (the teacher's asst). One evening I received a call from the principal who suggested, in an utmost courteous manner, retaining my child. She left the decision in our hands and our hands only since he was testing at grade level, although barely. Because I knew how he struggled, felt ashamed and imcompetent, I was on board with no questions asked. It was my thought and still is that it would be better to go ahead and address the issue while he was still young, rather than down the road when it would likely be more distrupting to his self esteem. He repeated the 1st grade the following year with great success and confidence. He took the FCAT this year and received 3 and 4s but more importantly, feels good about himself. I never felt pressured to retain him by the principal and in fact was made to feel very supported even if my decision had been to not retain him.

Healthy Learning Academy Charter School 1

Posted June 06, 2011
The principal of this school wanted to retain my kindergartner, she showed me my sons writing journal & a drawing. I was shown NO test scores, or work in any other subjects. She then told me my son was developmentally delayed, which she is not qualified to do, and had little to support her statement. Not to mention if that were the case she should have ordered testing on him during the school year. She then used my 4 yr old son that has leukemia as an excuse to retain my son, citing that if we put my son in to 1st grade & something were to happen to my 4yr old, we wouldn't be able to meet my older sons educational needs. She has not complied with our requests to see proof of testing done on my son to suggest a delay...because there was none done. Since this has happened to us, I have learned from other parents of ways that this school is ran, and had I known what I know now, I NEVER would have sent my child there.

Healthy Learning Academy Charter School
13505 West Newberry Rd, Gainesville, FL  32669
Last modified Healthy Learning Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Healthy Learning Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top