541 students|Alachua

Bad
Good

W. A. Metcalfe Elementary School 1

Posted June 26, 2012
This is the worst school I have ever sent my children too. Had an issue with the school back in 1999 and had to have my son tranfered to another school. Then my youngest daughter had a horrid teacher and the principal would do nothing about it, not even return my phone calls. I ended up having to take my daughter out and put her in a private school so she could be treated fairly. The principle is not able to do her job, she does not return phone calls, you must call her back. I will give one example of how my daughter was treated (she was 7), a little girl that did not like my daughter walked up to my daughter while she was playing with a friend and slapped her in the face. My daughter told the teacher who in turn put my daughter in time out saying that she (my daughter) must have done something to make the other girl slap her. When my daughter's friend told the teacher my daughter did nothing, she (the friend) too got time out. The little girl that slapped my daughter, she was "talked" to about how hitting is wrong, but was not given time out.

Posted July 13, 2010
My daughter has attended Metcalfe for the last 3 years. Metcalfe is a great elementary school and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It is a small school and everyone seems to know all of the kids. The teachers are incredibly patient with the kids and everyone is very caring and vested in the kid's educations. I am a little sad the Mrs. Moss, the principal retired, but am looking forward to the new principal.

Posted April 28, 2010
My experience at metcalfe has been terrible. I have a dissabled son also and I have had a hard time getting the school to actually follow my childs IEP. They are good at making it look like they are. When you try and bring it to the principle attention she brushed it off like it was nothing. I also have had a hard time adding things to his IEP I am always told they dont have the resources and the safety!!! Is horrific kids are not supervised and they get hurt alot at the school and if your not a parent who is able to be at the school you wouldnt know it. They dont write inccident report. My child got seriously hurt and it took 3 days for me to get a response from the school regarding it and they didnt even seen it over to the risk managment dep.

Posted October 03, 2009
Metcalfe is wonderful with children! Three generations of this family have attended elementary school there.

Posted October 05, 2008
One of the finest staffs I have ever had the privelege of working with. Metcalfe is truly an A+ school.

Posted December 10, 2005
I am so glad fo Metcalfe. I got a zoning exemption for my son to attend this school. My son has a disability, and his teachers have all been very patient and compassionate. The prinicipal has shown very straight-forward leadershp in Matcalfe. the teachers and staff are very caring and professional. My son's teachers nave been and are willing to arrend in-service training in order to help my child succed. I feel very supported at Metcalfe Elementary.

W. A. Metcalfe Elementary School 1

Posted March 05, 2005
The teachers here are very educated and work hard with each student. I encourage you to visit during school hours, meet with staff and students and ask many questions. The students who attend are very excited about learning. We have, however, had 5 classroom break-ins within the last two months; vcr's, globes, microwaves, radios, and lots more were stolen. Profanity and other unkind words litter the brick hallways. Parent involvement is also very minimum. As a teacher, I had each of my 20 families choose their own conference time and only 3 parents came. The teachers are working together to make the school a better place and look forward to your help.

1250 Northeast 18th Avenue, Gainesville, FL  32609
Last modified W. A. Metcalfe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.