John I. Leonard High School

Public | 9-12 | 2985 students

Posted February 27, 2014

My child attends John I Leonard, she was in private schools all her life till 10th grade. She enjoys the school, the majority of the teachers care very much about the students. I was surprised to have a chemistry teacher call me just to let me know who well my child is doing in her chemistry class. My child is a cheerleader since the age of 5. She joined the cheer squad at JOHN I LEONARD however the coaching needs to be better organized, better communication with the squads and most of all they need to be consistent with applying rules the same for all cheerleaders not just the ones they prefer! The competition squad was a joke, 5 of the girls picked couldn't even do a simple stunt.

Posted May 16, 2013

Our son had a great experience at John I Leonard. The arts programs like jazz and marching bands. As well as the sports programs. You will always get out of it what you put into it. Go Lancers ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Posted March 15, 2011

GREAT SCHOOL! "A" SCHOOL! I am so happy that the school achieved the "A" I, as a parent, always thought they deserved! That grading formula only accounted for 10th Grade FCAT scores. Now it encompasses the entire high school experience. It now includes the high achieving juniors and seniors who are taking AP and DE!

Posted June 29, 2010

John I. Leonard offers an average high school education, but does employ a few educators who excel at their craft. The facilities are a bit outdated, and could use an overhaul.

Posted April 21, 2010

John I Leonard has been really great! We switched from a private school here and it has been a fantastic experience. I was worried about the switch, but the Academy Coordinator and Guidance Councelor have been so helpful, patient and attentive the transition was easy. Teachers and Guidance respond quickly to e-mail questions and seem always welcome to help. There are so many opportunities to succeed here with the Academies, the on-campus DE, the Saturday Success Academy, community service, sports and clubs. The Academy Awards for the kids and parents was great! Appreciated all the decorations, and little touches that went into it! Made me proud as a parent to see my child get rewarded for their effort and accomplishments! Made some friends there myself this year! Been a great year!

Posted September 10, 2009

The principal could not take 30 seconds out of her day when i tried to speak to her about an extremely important situation, she offered nothing, didn't offer a time that was good for her she didn't request a phone number to call me she left the poor woman at the desk to deal with me while she gave orders of what i should do to resolve the problem even when she went down the line and found out i tried all her suggestions, she still wouldn't come out of her office and speak to me person to person. I took the time to type her a letter and made copies she passed her copy to someone else and to the best of my knowledge didn't even read it! terrible leadership ms costa! at least the school has great deans and ms balilcki to help.

Posted June 18, 2009

I have been a teacher at John I. Leonard for 35 years. There are many teachers who have been at the school for many years. The reason is because we are a dedicated staff. For example, the Dwyer Award is a prestigious award because it is the award for the most outstanding teacher in the elementary, middle and high schools in Palm Beach County. We had three teachers win the high school category THREE YEARS IN A ROW. That is an accomplishment that no other school in any of the three categories has accomplished. But there is one requirement any teacher has to have in front of him/her. You must have a student. Not a body. And a parent that is willing to get involved with the school such as going to parent/teacher open house (for 5 years I had not one parent show up after I cancelled my college classes.)

Posted June 3, 2009

I am a student at John I. Leonard High school, one that is actively involved with sports, clubs, and well pretty much everything. John I. has came a long way; my brother graduated in 07' and in comparison with then and now, it's truly a makeover (not just the building either). I love going to John I. If you want to succeed, all our teachers are willing and ready in any way to help anyone, as long as the student is as well. Don't judge our school on it's past reputation, come see for yourself what were really all about. Go Lancers, all day everyday!

Posted January 23, 2009

I'm a 9th grade student at John I. Leonard. The teachers are dedicated and help us out with our school work and help us deal with our problems. I like my Science class the most. We do fun experiments and my teacher is fun and he helps us become better students and tells us that we have to go to college :)

Posted January 23, 2009

Three of my kids have attended JILHS. They all attended college and are doing well. I am thankful to the staff at JILHS for giving them an adequate and equitable education.

Posted January 23, 2009

I have taught at John I. Leonard High School for three years. The climate of the school is spirited and with a strong academic focus. At our school, we treat everyone equally, regardless of disability or gender/ethic differences. Students, parents and teachers cooperate in decision-making and it is such a pleasure to make a difference in the lives of our future global leaders. Go Lancers!!!

Posted October 29, 2008

JILHS has been a big disappointment all around. I already have pulled one child and put in private school and I am preparing to pull my second child out next week. I feel the teachers and staff do not care about the kids and everytime I go in the school it is madness and there is absolutly no order.

Posted May 19, 2008

JILHS has a professional staff that encourages collegial planning with an emphasis on encouraging students to reach higher and expand beyond their perceived limits. JIL students are respectful and cooperative and a joy to teach every day. There is a spirit here at JILHS that is awesome and provides a terrific high school experience for one and all.

Posted September 17, 2007

JIL rocks! The teachers might not put in as much enfasis on the kids as much, but it's high school, not pre-k, we need to learn to be independent!

Posted June 29, 2007

i am a current student @ john i and its not the best most of the teachers are hardly working and the students are more about having eachothers back than getting an education it's no wonder we keep getting straight d's

Posted September 4, 2005

John I Leonard is a school that if you want to learn and get good grades all you have to do is try the teachers arte wonderful, along with the staff. Their data proccessor is one of the best in the county and the staff works well together. I feel the school gets a bad rap and so do the teachers. They can only work with what they are given to work with.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 7, 2005

I do not feel the environment is as positive as it could be. I find the staff (especially ESE) friendly, helpful & supportive with my student.

Posted August 10, 2003

My daughter Kristina was the 2003 class valedictorian, I thought this school provided an excellent education and that the teachers in the magnet program and AP classes were college level. She was accepted into her first college choice on early decision and both her and myself feel she is more then prepared for college. Honestly after her schedule the senior year, college should be like a vacation. The school may not look the greatest, but it is getting remodeled and the education is worth going there.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

841 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

694 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

698 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

644 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

660 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

717 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

701 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

647 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

• MR. EDWARD TIERNEY
Fax number
  • (561) 491-8350

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now