Gray Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1019 students

Posted April 6, 2014

Gray Middle School is great! So glad we transferred our son from a charter school. Now my child is receiving a real education, has great teachers, various electives that are interesting and educational, and great leadership. The brand new building is clean and has everything the students and staff need. There is a police officer there daily. Well run, great teachers, admin, guidance and principals.

Posted January 6, 2014

My school is overall a great school. Im in all honors classes and I love all my classes & teachers! even if your in the lower classes as long as you try hard you will do fine! The only thing I do not like is that we have assigned seating arrangments and once we seat there we cant leave unless we have a very good reason! And the other thing is I don't think they offer enough electives. but other then that great school!

Posted October 28, 2013

My Grandson entered Gray from Groveland Elem. he was not interested in school at all. I have seen so much of improvement in his attitude and his knowledge of wanting to learn. He is A-B honor roll and the teachers have alot to do with that, I have never seen him this interested-please know that I want to thank all of you for keeping his attention and getting him ready for high school 2014.

Posted May 26, 2011

My child had a great experience at Gray Middle School. She received a great education from wonderful teachers. The administration & support staff are top notch.

Posted May 24, 2011

Love this school! I have great respect for the teachers and administration. I really like the way they keep the different grade levels separated throughout the day. They really make an effort to keep the kids on track!

Posted October 12, 2010

Great place to work. Caring teachers & administrators

Posted May 25, 2010

I am very unhappy with this school and its' leadership. This has been one of the worst years yet of my child's education. The experiences that I have had are "driving" me to go back to school. I will be getting my bachelors so that I can seek employment with in the district to try to help the children in the area. Highly unsatisfactory.

Posted May 6, 2010

I wish they would fix the new school up because this is crazy having our children in portables.

Posted April 29, 2010

I have a granddaughter that has LD and the ESE counselor office staff, and teachers have been so supportive of her! Great teachers because they have an awesome principal.

Posted April 28, 2010

Gray really has some wonderful teachers, and it is a real shame that Lake County leadership continues to keep the same inept administration at this school. The principal is absolutely rude to parents and students, and never leaves her office. The Assistant Principals are also rude to parents and have absolutely no control of the students. A new building will certainly help next year, but until there is a huge shake up in administration, nothing will change. Finally, there is high percentage of Hispanic students, and literally 2 staff members who speak Spanish. The staff/faculty do not reflect the demographics of the school. There is also high teacher turn over, which is a huge concern of mine.

Posted April 13, 2010

Most wonderful school with amazing programs, great teachers, and the best principal!! We are ready to show off Gray Middle power!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 29, 2010

My Daughter went here for her 8th gade year. We pulled her out and switched to Windy Hill. I attended a parents day at this school I could not belive how run down it was and the staff could care less what the students did. Groveland/Mascotte is a low income area and it shows in the quality of this school and its staff. I cant see how this school has a A rating, it must be on a very low sliding scale.

Posted October 30, 2008

This is by far one of the worse schools I have ever had to deal with. We relocated here over a year ago where my daughter was a gifted student. A year and a half later we are still waiting for them to 'test' her. The administrative staff leave much to be desired and the school as a whole do not make new families feel welcome at all! I am so glad that this is her last year there!

Posted May 7, 2008

The administration of this school needs to be reviewed, they do not respect the students or the parents. They seem to only have two forms of discipline in-school and out of school suspension, which with the behaviour problems in this school, neither punishment seems to work. This is my child's third year at this school and I am so glad it is finally over. This is by far the worst school my child has ever attended.

Posted December 21, 2007

This is my daughters 2nd year here and, so far this is so far a good school to her... she loves her teachers, and she says that if she has a problem she can just ask ,and they will explain it... i do not worry about the violence atnthis school, this is a better school about that. they do need to rebuild, but i've heard that they are going to rebuild either this summer or next. this school is just run down a bit...some teachers are just grouchy, and some are really nice... this is overall a good school

Posted November 26, 2007

This is the 3rd and last year for my daughter at Grey. Yes , the school is very old and rundown. I can say for the most part the teacher are good. I believe most come from outside of the state, possibly to start there then find there real home. Most teacher are young and very attractive, almost fresh out of school. I have never had any problem with any of the teachers there. But! There is this one woman who is the rudist person I have ever dealt with that works in the main office. I have complained about her for the past 2 years and still she contiunes to be rude, almost down talking to the students. besides that the school is pretty good, my daughter loves all her teachers. Advise, Rebuild!

Posted September 14, 2007

My child has gone to Gray for 3 years and likes the school. I don't worry about violence. The programs I have been to I have noticed a great turnout by the parents. The school provides a few after school programs. The school is old but the classrooms that I have seen and been in are freshly painted with clean desks,clean carpet,and the grounds are well kept. The important part is they do provide a good academic program. When my child brought home a low grade on her progress report I emailed the teacher that night to see what the problem was and got a quick respone. Email is a very effective tool. I have always gotten a good response through email since my daugter started school. There is always room for improvement but I am satisfied with the school.

Posted August 28, 2007

I am very discouraged by Gray Middle School. When my foster son had problems in a particular class, the administration would do nothing to resolve it until there were extreme behavior problems-- from both the student and the teacher! Also, his FCAT scores declined tremendously although he attended intensive reading and math programs for a year at this school. And, although his FCAT scores were extremely low and his grades were failing (he is unable to read, write, or multiply), he was promoted to the next grade. -sn

Posted July 31, 2007

I am so happy that this is our last year at this school. It has been one horrible experience after another. Administration does not care about the students and neither do the teachers. I was very upset when I received misinformation about my child because the administrator did not take the time to look at the file. The teachers can't even take the time to write comments in the agendas when a child is not doing well in class. They claim that they have no time. That is something they are supposed to do on a daily basis. I only encountered one teacher who actually took the time to speak with me about my child's progress. With respect to academics programs they are very good. However, I would prefer that Spanish would be offered instead of an elective like dance or drama. The campus is also very run down.

Posted December 6, 2006

Well this will be my third year attending Gray. I have to say that it is a horrible school. The administration is not fair to the students. They don't show us with any resect. The campus is very shabby. I Don't recommend anyone to go to it. (Just my opinion)
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

320 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

320 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

343 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

345 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

184 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

327 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

328 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

325 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

321 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

145 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Gym

• MR. DEAN HAACK
Fax number
  • (352) 429-0133

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options