Gulf Breeze, FL
Students enrolled: 1,521

Gulf Breeze High School 1

Posted February 07, 2015
Moving to Gulf Breeze for this high school is the biggest disappointment ever. This is a "good old boys" school that has been doing business the same way for way too long. They cater to upper class smart kids and direct them to good colleges. They completely dismiss the other half of the student population-the average kids, minorities (although there are very few), and students with special needs. Athletics here are embarrassing. There are a few good varsity teams with winning records and believe me, those are the ones you will hear about. The majority of the sports, especially boys varsity, are horrible. We just don't win games. And our athletes don't go on to play at the college level from GBHS at the rate they do from surrounding schools. Don't let the test scores fool you! And don't underestimate the importance of diversity, in the students, the classes and the teachers.

Posted November 23, 2014
Very good teaching staff and programs geared to help the students succeed. My daughter is proud to go to school here.

Gulf Breeze High School 3

Posted March 04, 2014
I would rate this school below average. The administration places more emphasis on the faculty than to the student body. Also, a majority of students in each class period do not bring a book to class, which causes a major class disruption. If the administration would place just as much emphasis on the student and have teachers make students bring books to class every day, whether or not they will need them, then more teachers may want to teach there.

Gulf Breeze High School 3

Posted August 14, 2013
Gulf Breeze High school has really fallen apart these last few years. The athletics departments are a joke. Moreover, the school spends all of its time focusing on FCAT as opposed to actual skills and knowledge students will need in their later years. Its a shame that smart kids from Gulf Breeze have to seek higher learning in the IB program at PHS.

Gulf Breeze High School 2

Posted September 07, 2011
I'm a former student of Gulf Breeze, and I'm now a junior in UF's engineering program. Personally, I felt that the academic programs at Gulf Breeze were not adequate to prepare me for a good school, especially in the areas of math and science. Intelligent students are not really challenged. This was especially evident when I got to UF, and realized what classes other high schools around Florida were offering. I had several great teachers, however I also had a few very bad ones, even in core subjects and supposedly "challenging" classes (AP, etc). Overall there's nothing terrible about the education provided by GBHS--but there's nothing great, either.

Posted April 13, 2009
I'm a former student of GBHS, and I feel that it fully prepared me academically for my coursework at FSU. It has a great small town environment, and the whole school system was very nurturing for me from kindergarten to graduation. The only thing that Gulf Breeze lacks is diversity, which is a big problem, but that is typical of a small-town school system.

Posted January 28, 2009
As a recent graduate I can honestly say that GBHS more than adequately prepared me for college academics; I am now a student at UF. To any claims of poor academic quality, you get out of your education what you put into it. As a student who took all honors and AP classes, I had excellent teachers and I learned a great deal. The students who don't push themselves and take regular classes aren't going to have the same high quality experience. There are many great extracurricular activities besides sports. Being a non-athletic person myself, I was in multiple honor societies, service clubs, and fun activities during my four years. Gulf Breeze can be very cliquey, especially if you enter after freshman year. Not a show stopper, though, just something to be prepared for.

Posted November 27, 2008
I am alumni at this school and I absolutely loved going to school there! The work was challenging and all of the teachers were highly qualifed and extra helpful!

Posted May 01, 2008
Very amazing school that I would highly recommend to any incoming families with children.

Gulf Breeze High School 2

Posted January 08, 2008
GBHS is extremely cliquey and not very welcoming of newcomers. Also, I have not been impressed with the academic rigor (or lack thereof) at this school. My daughter rarely has homework and frequently watches movies (such as Aladdin) in the classroom!

Gulf Breeze High School
675 Gulf Breeze Parkway, Gulf Breeze, FL  32561
Last modified Gulf Breeze High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gulf Breeze High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top