634 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The school has no communication with the parents, or when there is, it comes home weeks late or the day before. --- There is little to no Montessori actually being used, and common core is still being pushed, including homework, even in Kindergarten and 1st grade. We pulled our daughter out & put her in another school that is similar to Montessori and she is thriving.

Mrs Williams in registration was very welcoming , and made the transition process go well last year ! I also liked the way the principal handled my son & another student that had been in a fight with one another... He had them playing chess and put together puzzles together , until I arrived ! The most touching thing was today on my sons 1st day back to school... My son attended summer school and we were under the impression he was promoted to the 4 th grade... This morning upon learning he was held back, he was heart broke & very upset , when Mr okay the janitor noticed...he came up to my son and embraced him with a hug and reassured him that it would be ok & gave him courage and helped ease his pain!!! It was truly sincere and I'm very thankful he noticed and approached us this am !!! All schools need more men like Mr okay!!! He is definitely a kind father/grandfather role model!!!

This school is awful. The front office staff is rude, disorganized and extremely unprofessional. Ms. Hale hides patronozing comments and a condecending tone behind "southern hospitality". My child's teacher was changed 4 times within the first 3 months of school and it seemed that they all were just reiterating the things that he had learned in previous years instead of teaching something new. I will definitely be withdrawing my child at the end of the year.

I am disappointed with our experience at this school. There is 0 communication with parents, Montessori is not used, recess is taken away, very poorly behaved children, etc. I have had conferences with teachers, principal and the program coordinator; they say what you want to hear to appease you but no real changes are made. Highly disappointed at the experience my kindergartner is having and my children will definitely NOT be attending here next year.

It's a great school! It has everything an elementary school has to offer! Great teachers that really care about the kids! A principal who is fantastic! My child is getting a well rounded education there.

We have had a wonderful experience with the Montessori program. My child just completed 5th grade and went K - 5 in the Montessori program. It is great that children can learn at their own pace, use materials that give them a bigger understanding than just rote memorization, and with 2 teachers in a class (one assistant with each teacher) it makes for a 1:9 ratio until 4th grade and then 1:11. Great! My suggestion for those who have heard not so positive things in the past, or who are wondering about the program is to "get involved". If you are active in getting to know your teacher, going to the PTA and school events, and seeking information, you will resolve any concerns you have. While my initial concern in entering kindergarten was the school within a school portion, the Montessori classes go to music, art, etc with their own classes. PE is typically all Montessori on the field at once, but can be combined some years where schedules don't permit. There is a great music and art program. Lots of extra activities through the years - yoga, soccer, football, etc. Try it for yourself, get involved, and you will love the personal connection both you and your child experience.

We liked the Montessori program, the teachers were nice and our kids did well. Unfortunately the atmosphere in the cafeteria is pretty tense, just like at many other public schools that we have seen. The kids are not able to eat in a nice, relaxing atmosphere.

My children attend Gulfport Montessori and I couldn't be happier. Another commenter complained about the Kindergarten program. In the past, this may have been true, but this year there are different teachers in the Kindergarten classroom. Yeah! These are not new teachers - they are Montessori teachers who have moved from other grade levels to teach Kindergarten. It is a new day for the Kindergarten program at Gulfport Montessori! If you have a child entering Kindergarten, you should DEFINITELY check out Gulfport. Your child will have a 1:9 teacher/student ratio for K-5...something that you will NOT find at any other school (public or private). And the Montessori method allows your child to learn new concepts without ever finding them too hard, or feeling defeated that they "can't do it". The Montessori teachers work with your child to teach new concepts in a way that makes even harder tasks something that your child will not be overwhelmed by. I highly recommend this school! Also, the Montessori method teaches respect, grace and courtesy in many small ways...something we all need more of these days.

great teachers and staff my son is doing very well there will be staying there thru 5th grade

Very disappointing for kindergarten. Thought it was supposed to be an exciting time for your child and it was derogatory, sad, and no positive reinforcement. Children are 'fired' from tasksand made to feel like they failed. I would not recommend this school to new little children who need a positive experience for their first years in school.

Last modified Gulfport Montessouri Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.