679 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Posted January 26, 2016
They only choose kids with a specific grade levels in able to make it in the school so of course you will find great behaved kids and no fights. However, the school has no clue on half of what they are doing. It seems as if the administration is still trying to figure things out. The gifted science department is run by a couple that overwhelms kids with busy work and time consuming homework that doesn't teach kids just bores them and takes away their desire to learn. At some point they just do things to do it, but their brain doesn't have the interest nor desire for learning with so much busy work. My son had homework till 2-3 am at times. My son was also always tired with the overwhelming huge load of homework. At first I liked the idea since I like him to learn and study a lot, but the problem was that he wasn't learning anything. Though he is typically an A student. I would constantly ask him what he learned and his response was always nothing. I also noticed the score of the test taken for his science class before the course and at the end of the course and there was no improvement. Maybe I wouldn't have cared if he wasn't having so much sleepless nights doing HW, but I was expecting better with that load of HW... It was crucial for him to leave the school. Therefore, I applied to several schools. However, he didn't make it in the lottery for any of the schools I applied. Seeing that I didn't have another option my desperation left me to do homeschool as the only option at that moment. Thank God I did. It has being the best thing that happened to my son! He is more interested in learning and loves school. Yes, even his enthusiasm for school has changed. By November my son will be elegible to start a dual enrollment program, taking both high school level and college credits thanks to his hard work and dedication by advancing and learning without busy work. He couldn't reach that far in his potential as a 7th grader had he remained there wasting his time. God truly works in mysterious ways and I can honestly say that he is investing his time right and his learning capacity is reaching to its peak without the stress and on his own pace.... Personally for me, my son's education is too important to be wasted somewhere that doesn't teach him. His time is also an essence in able for him to accomplish his goals so for me this wasn't the place to see him grow.

Posted September 18, 2015
My son is currently attending Jose Marti-Mast (6th grade) and the academic level is outstanding . During the 3rd day of school there was an incident with a kid pulling my son's chair so I wrote an e-mail, the principal answer it the same day and the next day I received a phone call from him and the incident was resolved immediately. I am very happy with the school, the administration, teachers and the academic level, making me happy to drive every day 19 miles from home to school. I highly recommend the school.

Posted May 31, 2015
Negative work environment, both AP administration are completely unprofessional and everyone is aware of it. They do not have a problem creating conflicts bad mouthing teacher, against parents and worst, student. I will conclude the behavior will continue since the Principal don't come out of his office to care. He has to backpedal his decisions and he is clueless. He sits in his desk and sends articles to teachers all day and that is pretty much it, if your looking for an active principal he is not it. He is definitely the tail and not the head to his teachers and students. As per teachers there is a hand full of incredible teachers that are there for talent and not brown nosesing the AP. high school kids should RUN to a real HS zero electives and no extra accreditation. School is old but clean kids are very nice, no fights. Revamp administration and the school could have a chance plus make many hard working teacher very happy.

Posted May 31, 2015
My son has been at this school since 6th grade and the first year it changed to Mast. He is now gling into 10th. I must say it has been GREAT and it getting better every year.. Very challenging. LOVE IT!!!!!

Posted July 30, 2014
I love Jose Marti it is an awesome school if you have a problem the asst principals are also available to help you. I am so glad I made the choice to have my son attend this school

Posted April 18, 2014
Hello I currently attend Jose Marti Mast Academy as a student and I have to say that when you first start taking courses here you think it's really hard but after a while you get adjusted to the way they teach. I think this is because teachers here are great and make teaching fun and interesting. The only thing that is bad about this school is that we don't have an indoor gym which they say is because of the lack of students.

Posted April 07, 2014
This is awesome This is awesome This is awesome This is awesome This is awesome This is awesome This is awesome This is awesome v

Posted November 06, 2013
Even though our family lives aprox 12 miles south of this school ,in the city of Doral,Fl. And the fact that since this kind of magnet school does not offer school bus service , I can assure you that I do not regret having taking the desicion of taking my son to this school , the quality and level of education is at a very high scale, kids will learn and the best part is that is a school designed to get your kids ready to go to a top University ( any of the top US 50) , we as parent are very happy and proud to have our son going to this school, no doubt that he is getting ready to be sucessfull and prepareed for later in life .....

Jose Marti Mast 6-12 Academy 4

Posted August 15, 2013
As a parent if I can give 1 recommendation, if your child is strong in Math and Science this is the place to be. I recommend you do not send your child to fail if he or she doesn't like these subjects. Another Positive aspect is the open door policy of the administrators and office staff, they will address your concerns immediately however; the principle is best contacted my email and has little to NO interaction with students. I would like to see him bond more with high school students which, would inspire his respect and not just sit behind his computer all day. (Note: parents and studnts get told he is a shy man?!?). I see him every day at dismissal and he never said hi to parents or his students. Regarding teachers the math department is INCREDIBLE. Best of all kids at this school are great.. BTW the yearbook at this school needs serious improvement its like an elementary. It was not worth my grandsons money. also,sometimes Science dept goes HW crazy.

Posted August 03, 2013
The school was recently converted from a regular middle school to a MAST academy 6-12. The majority of the teachers are not qualified to teach high school. The administration is still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I don't like that 6 and 7 graders are mixed with high school students during different times of the school day. Ex: breakfast. Since the number of students in the upper grades are so small, they do not have choices regarding class options. The administration is not very teacher friendly and many teachers left before the 2013-2014 school year. One of their biggest departments lost almost half of their teachers, all very experienced and good teachers. The teachers do not get the support needed from the administration. Many students also left because the school does not provide your typical high school experience. The school building itself, is old and there are hardly any windows...looks more like a prison than a school. I recommend putting your child in another school. A review below stated that their child was taking Algebra in 7th grade, but most schools are doing that if your child is in advance classes. It really depends on the child.

Jose Marti Mast 6-12 Academy
5701 West 24th Avenue, Hialeah, FL  33016
Last modified Jose Marti Mast 6-12 Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.