1,759 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted April 25, 2016
THERE IS SO MUCH HOMEWORK. The teachers here don't teach they send homework whether it's IXLs, or book notes, or random questions from a book. IT'S JUST TOO MUCH!

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted April 25, 2016
If anything this school rips our persistence to shreds and destroys our will to continue getting good grades and graduating

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 23, 2015
The administration has a hard time balancing everyone's needs and desires. While it is a charter school, there is a lot of money to be spent on things. Some things are out dated (like textbooks), but no money goes into anyone's pockets. I am most grateful for their leadership and the ability for students and teachers alike to be able to go talk to any of them at any time about our most pressing issues and getting them resolved. Mater has its problems, but all schools do. We're a team and trying to make everyone's education tomorrow better than it was today.

Mater Academy Charter High 2

Posted October 01, 2015
I'm an 8th grader at Mater Academy, I have been there since 6th grade and I have to admit; I used to love Mater, I thought it was an excellent school but now that I'm in 8th, I have to say that Mater is a bad school, DONT SEND YOUR KIDS THERE. The teachers and the administration staff only cares about your grades and the money; they don't care about your education. The counselors will scream at you and get on the teacher's side even if he/she is wrong. I had to go see my counselor because one of my teachers was embarrassing me and treating me bad in front of the class and she just said "talk to him after school"; they don't even try to help you. Even if you have anxiety or some other disorder they wont pay attention to you. I cant even get lunch sometimes, and when I do, I have to throw it away because it is disgusting. I would like to go to another school but my mom doesn't believe me when I say Mate Academy is becoming a terrible school.

Posted May 11, 2015
This school is horrible.it dosnet help kids at all and says they only except smart kids when it's all stupid the teachers are horrible and curse in ur face .the school doesn't give a rats but if ur okay .they don't help bullying .it stresses kids I go here and I completely do not recommend it

Posted December 15, 2014
This is a fair warning. Do NOT take your children here. I graduated 3 years ago and I hated it and still hate it. The teachers think they are the best and even yell and scream profanities at the students. Never in my life have I ever seen a teacher yell at a student that way. Whats more, the principal only cares about the money and doesn't help the parents when they are concerned with their children. My brother now goes here and he is always telling me how horrible it is. Because of this school, my brother no longer feels the same inspiration that he has before to continue studying and continue his education. Because of this school, he no longer wants to go to college. Please, please, please DO NOT send you children here. Send them somewhere much more caring and passionate.

Posted August 19, 2014
I graduated from this school about 5 years ago, and remember what horrible experiences I encountered at this place. Now I have my sister in this school and she is suffering from panic attacks because of how much work is given to her. This school is horrible...has no good qualitites. Please do not send your children here. The principal and administration are rude and do not care for your child. All they care about is the money. My poor sister doesn't even have time to eat at school because of how crowded it is. This is ridiculous. This school should be closed or put under new administration.

Posted April 17, 2014
Warning: Do not send your kids to this school. The administration is comprised of bullies who would rather scream at and insult concerned parents instead of answering their questions and addressing their concerns. What's more, my son went from being a top student at his elementary school to being completely unmotivated and apathetic in regards to education and school. If you are thinking of sending your child here and would like to hear how they treat a parent with legitimate concerns I would be more than happy to provide you with a recording of experience with the principle of the school and it's administrators.

Mater Academy Charter High 3

Posted September 30, 2013
Mater has like every other school it's bad qualities, like over population, pointless discipline (at times), and favoritism. But people should stop moaning about how horrible it is, because its as good as it gets in this town. And in all honesty it's certainly not the best school in the world or the U.S. but it's the best school in the city, seriously have you seen some of the other schools? What I like about Mater is that a lot of people have one common goal: getting into a good school and there is a competitive edge about everything which makes you want to try to be a better. Being top ten percent is an honor and people don't go around calling you a nerd or whatnot, they congratulate you. All in all it's a decent school, it gets the job done. Nobody should expect them to be perfect.

Posted August 30, 2013
This is a for-profit school, meaning the money the get from the district they keep it in their pockets and they do not buy textbooks for students and place 45-50 students per teacher. THIS SCHOOL IS HORRIBLE.

7901 Northwest 103rd Street, Hialeah, FL  33016
Last modified Mater Academy Charter High is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.