1,759 students|Dade

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

First off this school is terrible because it's over crowded and in highschool students even eat in the bathroom because is ridiculous how much people are in mater. The mostly all teachers don't care and don't teach and just give you ALOTTT of homework ! And the security guards take away your headphones sweaters and phones and won't give it back .They rather give detentions and CSI just for wearing the wrong shoes or running in halls or boys haircuts which is ridiculous how the principle wants them bald .The principle waist money on clocks and don't even take that moment to buy new dissolving chairs in classrooms or desk or getting new tables for lunch for the students to sit in since there is no SPACE. For how much it is CROWDED.The amount of homework is ridiculous you won't even have Time for any other activities at home plus you don't even have time to study .This middle school is an A- school and it's 1 point away from a B .The highschool is trash and it's a B school.They should take some consideration and remove the elementary and put it as a highschool building BECAUSE since when is this school a MIDDLE/HIGHSCHOOL/elementary ... It is matermiddle high ...so give me a reason why I should stay because to prepare you to college you need dedication to learn not to do HOMEWORK 24/7

Supports LD students: Disagree

The teachers for gifted and honors treat you with respect but the teachers for regular can be really mean and sometimes just make you read from a textbook and answer some questions the teacher found online.

My experience at this school was amazing as it really helped me get ahead in life. This school truly helped me prepare for college, get good grades and get involved in the community.

Amount of homework: Disagree

THERE IS SO MUCH HOMEWORK. The teachers here don't teach they send homework whether it's IXLs, or book notes, or random questions from a book. IT'S JUST TOO MUCH!

I'm an 8th grader at Mater Academy, I have been there since 6th grade and I have to admit; I used to love Mater, I thought it was an excellent school but now that I'm in 8th, I have to say that Mater is a bad school, DONT SEND YOUR KIDS THERE. The teachers and the administration staff only cares about your grades and the money; they don't care about your education. The counselors will scream at you and get on the teacher's side even if he/she is wrong. I had to go see my counselor because one of my teachers was embarrassing me and treating me bad in front of the class and she just said "talk to him after school"; they don't even try to help you. Even if you have anxiety or some other disorder they wont pay attention to you. I cant even get lunch sometimes, and when I do, I have to throw it away because it is disgusting. I would like to go to another school but my mom doesn't believe me when I say Mate Academy is becoming a terrible school.

This school is horrible.it dosnet help kids at all and says they only except smart kids when it's all stupid the teachers are horrible and curse in ur face .the school doesn't give a rats but if ur okay .they don't help bullying .it stresses kids I go here and I completely do not recommend it

This is a fair warning. Do NOT take your children here. I graduated 3 years ago and I hated it and still hate it. The teachers think they are the best and even yell and scream profanities at the students. Never in my life have I ever seen a teacher yell at a student that way. Whats more, the principal only cares about the money and doesn't help the parents when they are concerned with their children. My brother now goes here and he is always telling me how horrible it is. Because of this school, my brother no longer feels the same inspiration that he has before to continue studying and continue his education. Because of this school, he no longer wants to go to college. Please, please, please DO NOT send you children here. Send them somewhere much more caring and passionate.

I graduated from this school about 5 years ago, and remember what horrible experiences I encountered at this place. Now I have my sister in this school and she is suffering from panic attacks because of how much work is given to her. This school is horrible...has no good qualitites. Please do not send your children here. The principal and administration are rude and do not care for your child. All they care about is the money. My poor sister doesn't even have time to eat at school because of how crowded it is. This is ridiculous. This school should be closed or put under new administration.

Warning: Do not send your kids to this school. The administration is comprised of bullies who would rather scream at and insult concerned parents instead of answering their questions and addressing their concerns. What's more, my son went from being a top student at his elementary school to being completely unmotivated and apathetic in regards to education and school. If you are thinking of sending your child here and would like to hear how they treat a parent with legitimate concerns I would be more than happy to provide you with a recording of experience with the principle of the school and it's administrators.

Mater has like every other school it's bad qualities, like over population, pointless discipline (at times), and favoritism. But people should stop moaning about how horrible it is, because its as good as it gets in this town. And in all honesty it's certainly not the best school in the world or the U.S. but it's the best school in the city, seriously have you seen some of the other schools? What I like about Mater is that a lot of people have one common goal: getting into a good school and there is a competitive edge about everything which makes you want to try to be a better. Being top ten percent is an honor and people don't go around calling you a nerd or whatnot, they congratulate you. All in all it's a decent school, it gets the job done. Nobody should expect them to be perfect.

Last modified Mater Academy Charter High is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.