Youth Co-Op Charter School

Charter | PK-8 | 744 students

We are best known for student academic success.

Posted April 30, 2014

It is a great school.The parents should be very happy if your son/daughter are studying in that school.All the educator team and staff in general are examples of dedication and responsibility each day.

Posted April 29, 2014

I very happy with youth co op it a very school and was very pleased of how much my little girl has learned. I think this is a very good school.

Posted March 17, 2014

My daughter has been in this school for two years now. She began in the preparatory section in Hialeah Gardens. Last year the staff and teachers were amazing and cared for their students had different activities for them to do. This year since both schools were combined into the new building the school is horrible. The entire staff from the preparatory section was fired. I have never seen such a horrible staff. The immediate front office staff lacks customer service big times. They are rude and treat parents as if we were children ourselves. They embarrass the students in front of everyone but, yet they are putting ads everywhere around the schools about being against bullying. When they are the main bully's. My youngest daughter says her teacher spends the whole yelling at her. If she tells the teacher her stomach hurts she doesn't call me she tells her that's because she's hungry to just wait till lunch time. I expect to get a call and I be the one to decide if to believe her not. Then, my oldest daughter tells me her two teachers chit chat all the day long whole drinking Starbucks and yell at the students. There are way better charter schools.

Posted February 26, 2014

Last year the environment was much more dedicated to our children. This year the teachers assigned to my son's class lack that commitment. Suffice to say that his math teacher announced her departure on a Friday to the children. Come Monday they had cafeteria teachers overseeing the class. Instead of engaging these teachers expect the children to be quiet and actually punish the entire class if several of the students misbehave by NOT allowing them recreational time outdoors. When asked I was told the older children - jr high kids- have priority. My son has also told me the teachers label kids in his class "lazy" and I've personally witnessed the schools principal yelling at kids for being late. These children can not control traffic or the departure time their parents plan when driving them to school. Is this better than public school? Barely, but yes. Just be involved in your child's day to day activities and keep applying to other charter schools. We as parents are not there to bake friends but to safeguard or kids. By being visible and letting the administrators and teachers know these children have a vouce, your voice, the school will eventually improve.

Posted February 25, 2014

The School is great but my kids say that the teachers sometimes yell a lot I know the teachers they say but i dont wanna point out names or anything. But they also give a lot of homework! I mean my kids never get to do anything at home except for homework!

Posted September 29, 2013

All I have to say is that this is a great school with great teachers and administrators. Thank you all for all you do for our children.

Posted September 28, 2013

I m a new parent and after what I witnessed on Friday, I started conducting some research on this school and came about this website. I m very concerned with the example my child and other students are receiving at this school. I visited the school on Friday, when this woman was yelling out at the top of her lungs to all the front office staff for switching something without her authorization. When I asked who she was, they told me that she was the Principal. How embarrassing!!! I felt horrible for those poor employees. No one, I mean no one, should be receiving that kind of treatment. I told one of the ladies that they should not be allowing that kind of treatment because not even do I allow my mother to treat or speak to me in that tone. I m very disappointment at this time because it s not only about the academics but also showing our children good moral, manners, and ensuring that our students are in a healthy environment.

Posted September 26, 2013

I just got back from the school open house. It was very informative. The school is well equipped with computers, smart boards, and the teachers are fabulous! The principal is very accessible and helpful. I am lucky to have found this great school for my child.

Posted September 25, 2013

Its funny because the post below talk about technology but the school doesn't even have the capacity to give the high school students their laptops because of too much traffic. Whoever is writing the post must be part of administration because they are full of it again call charter school operation if you have a complaint or email/call the board members. Parents speak out and don't let these people use your children. I remember a couple of years back Aragon made an announcement that everyone had to post good comments and I see that it is still being done because you write a negative comment and you get a couple positive so that the negative is not seen.

Posted September 24, 2013

YCCS is a school which stands out for its commitment to student excellence. Congratulations for earning an A in both the Elementary/Middle and High School. The administrators, teachers and staff are dedicated to the well-being of the students. The teachers' use of technology in introducing concepts which would otherwise be difficult to understand, shows their dedication in inspiring the students' learning experience. The teachers are always accessible to students for additional assistance. I am very grateful for the way the school places the students as their number one priority.

Posted September 24, 2013

YCCS is an amazing school. I love the new location. Last school year, the Principal told us to be ready for great things, and she was right. Wonderful teachers, great ambiance for children to learn.

Posted September 19, 2013

I went to the first EESAC meeting on Tuesday and what a mess. Mrs. Aragon is disrespectful and was constantly cutting people off. My son is unhappy since he is stuck in a class with 40+ kids while the teacher is teaching two subjects seriously!!!! I don't understand how the school board allows this to happen. I seriously think that the merge with the two schools has been a mess and the ones suffering are our children. I will be writing to the board members and I will be call MDCPS Charter School department at 305-995-1403.

Posted August 14, 2013

My two kids will be attending this school for the first time. I had a very hard time getting any information from the office. What I was able to get was that parents will not be allowed on the first day of school.Sorry but I have two small elementary students. Parents need to be allowed access to the school.I personally like to be informed on my child's behavior and academics performance on a daily basis. Pick up and drop off is great as an option but we should also be given the option of walking my child to class. I want to be informed off what happens behind those closed doors. I have no problem being fingerprinted, backgrounds checks or any other form of security. I received no answers when I asked and who will be helping these kids with school supplies and reaching there classrooms.There will be monitors was my answer. I understand we don't want to interrupt school time. But I would really appreciate some access to the building and the teachers. Before school or after school. Either let us drop off in the morning before school. Or let us pick up at the classroom. Children thrive on parent involvement so far I don't see this here at all.

Posted August 5, 2013

My school is awesome! We are currently in the process of preparing for the opening of school on August 19th. So far, things are coming together nicely. I anticipate another better-than-average school year.

Posted July 18, 2013

I have been working at YCCS for a couple of years and I can honestly say that I have grown to deeply love this school. I enjoy working with my colleagues and students. Our school is safe and all of our teachers are highly qualified and provide a demanding and rigorous curriculum to all students. Our teachers care about each student and strive to deliver quality lessons daily. I am thankful to YCCS because it has made me a strong professional and it has helped me grow in this career. I recommend this school to parents who want a great education for their child, small class sizes and individualized attention for their child. P

Posted July 16, 2013

I am a parent of 4 kids that attend YCCS and This is an amazing school they have amazing teachers that care, teach and tutor the students and they also have great staff that also care I love this school and would recommend it to any parent for their child they go beyond their means to help your child get to where he or she needs to be in order to pass to the next grade GREAT SCHOOL

Posted July 15, 2013

The principalis a Hiaeah "CHUSMA"for whoever doesn't know what that mean it means a really ghetto person. Aragon is loud, obnoxious and rude. I walked in the school not that long ago and she was screaming and cursing at one of the secretary's I was applaud to see that kind of behavior coming from the head of the school. I have also seen that not many students are ESOL students like I went to school with. In the end YCCS may be an "A' school but I don't feel like my daughter is getting challenged enough and with leadership like Aragon I am afraid to see what my daughter turns out like.

Posted July 8, 2013

The principle I am honestly appauled with. I agree with the parent below , let the dancers compete! The principle shows a lack of respect for the dancers and dance teacher. Coach Martinez helped get my child into shape and made her love fitness, but the principle gives him such a hard time, she yelled at him infront of a whole p.e class! How disrespectful, he deserves to go somewhere where hes appreciated, not only by the students and teachers but by the principle. Ms.Aragon is the reason for so many children leaving, me as well as other parents cannot stand her. She yelled at my child for going to the restroom during testing and it was an emergency! My one request for you Ms.Aragon is to let the dancers show themselves. Thats it, maybe my daughter and plenty more children will not feel as if you favor the cheerleaders. If the principle was different this school would run so much smoother and better.

Posted May 24, 2013

Bad: This school has a horrible location, it is very old and it is not safe during a heavy storm. Under qualified teachers. They are moving now completly to YCPS. Eventhough they are remodeling the building, the structure is very old. Good: Very nice clerical staff. Very friendly, day by day. I wish some teachers were the same BUT they are not.

Posted May 15, 2013

I love my school!! Yccs is like family. All the teachers and staff know you and care about you. I used to go to HGMS and I hated that school its to big and over populated and the kids are into drugs and bullying but when I went to Yccs it all changed. Small classes, safe enviorment and all the teachers, staff and adminstration love their jobs. Mrs. Aragon, Mrs. Wright, Mrs.Liscano, Mrs. Jiemnez, Mr. Rodriguez, Mr.Portela and much much more have done so much for Yccs. Its honest the best and safest school in Miami Dade!!! ~8th Grade Student

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

65 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

65 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

74 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

44 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

91 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • MS. MARITZA ARAGON
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Virtual school
Foreign languages taught

Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Cafeteria

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook