Miami Lakes K-8 Center

Public | PK-8 | 1393 students

Sweep tile

Posted today

Miami Lakes K- 8 Center is such an amazing school, in my opinion and personal experience, love the teachers, staff , i have three kids one that already left k-8 and is in 9th grade, 7th and 5th, my girls. I highly recommend place your child in our school.

Posted April 2, 2014

Miami Lakes K-8 has a great learning environment. They have many wonderful teachers who care about the children and make sure they are learning. It is a safe place to send our children.

Posted February 4, 2014

ML-K-8 center is a great school. Teachers are knowledgable and caring. My children love this school. PTSA is great and offer many extra activities for the students. Stay involved in your child's education!

Posted September 23, 2013

4 kids...youngest just started K, oldest did K-8 at this school. Great school, teachers, and principal. Bad teachers are the exception. For the critics, look at yourselves in the mirror...and get involved. MLK-8 greatly encourages parental involvement and it makes a huge difference.

Posted September 14, 2013

Great environment, great Teachers, Administration and all personnel. Good relationship between parents and administration. Very good School.

Posted September 12, 2013

Miami lakes k8 has been an A+ school for 14 years. We have a wonderful team of administrators, teachers, and staff. As a parent of 3, all 3 of my children have been there since kindergarten. I now have a 10th grader. 8th and 6th grader. The parent involvement in our school is welcomed by our amazing principal Rosy Calvo. We have an awesome PTSA which I have been involved in for several years now. Our PTSA has won many awards throughout the years. We support out school and already have over 800 members thus far that have joined the PTSA and it hasn't even been a month yet. We would really like to renovate a small stage we have with a curtain paint and flooring. The $5000 would really help us accomplish this. Thank you. Lisa Rodriguez

Posted April 21, 2013

The teachers at this school are very personable. So is the immediate staf you deal with at the school. The only thing I would critique is that the school staff at the office is not very outgoing. You have to do all your leg work because asking a question there is useless. The School however has lots of activities for the kids. take advantage of all of it!

Posted August 30, 2012

This is my daughter's 2nd year at this school and she loves it. I think the education is good and they really push reading, which is a good thing. My complaint is the administrative staff. They're extremely rude! I walked into the office and it was full of parents and kids. the office staff looked extremely annoyed and basically ignored me when I asked a question. They looked like they were in complete misery and it was only 8:30 in the morning! I dont get it, if your not happy in your job then look for something else, I know plenty of people who will take their place and do a much better job! Anyone should be happy and grateful they have a job during these hard times. My other complaint is they don't keep parents in the know.. You get a day or two at most, notice of an awards ceremony or an open house, and they make the awards in the middle of the day so I have to miss a work day. I work as do alot of other parents and I need to tell my boss well in advance if I need to leave early or miss a day from work. I feel they have no consideration for working parents. I wish I didnt have to work and be more involved in the school and be part of the PTA, but I cant, I have bills to pay!

Posted October 15, 2011

MLK-8 is the what I call "organized chaos". Every school event is disorganized with not sense of a beginning or end. I've noticed on many occasions that the disorganization is intentional to keep those of us who are not Spanish speaking off-balance. Parking is non-existent at the school grounds. The child who is not Spanish-speaking is shoved into Spanish for native speakers with all instructions given in Spanish. The teacher was very slow to believe that my child is not a Spanish speaker. My child is constantly verbally bullied by the older children in the hallways. She is called "ugly". If she retaliates, she gets in trouble. When she was struck in the eye by another student; the school did not bother to notify me. Instead, they isolated her from the other children but kept the offending child in with the others. No notes come home when your child is hurt at this school. The Principal and Assistance Principals do not have time for grievances and I worry for my child's safety. The quality of teaching varies from excellent to very poor. There is extensive parent involvement; however, be prepared to be isolated if you are not Spanish speaking.

Posted October 11, 2011

Excellent school, excellent teachers, involved parents, I talked with approximately 15 parents with kids in MLE for more than 5 years and 2 teachers as well before transferring my kid to MLE, the answers were positive 100%, "with your eyes close" . I have the same opinion, my son is happy again and he is glad we changed him.

Posted July 14, 2011

I have my kids attending this school since 2008 , I feel they need to improve with the teacher they have very poor teaching habits. they do very little work in school and send class work to complete at home sometimes adding up to 4 to 5 assigments in one school night . They send complaints on a daily basis but the dont advise when my kids get hurt or bullied. I feel it is unfair I should be notified. they school office is very disorganized and the staff as well. They dont have school shows for holidays, no aduitorium, award ceremonies are kaos.....need improvement they want to fit so much in no space at all.

Posted June 14, 2011

I am sorry, but for my own experience, it is wrong, to think that it is a good education school. First the all, the school needs to improve etic and conduct from the teacher and staff to the students and parents, in my opinion, some students have preferences, others have complaint constantly, without really reason. As parents and family is very important that our childrens not only learn across the academic course, is very, very important that the children feel accepted and loved to teacher and staff.

Posted April 25, 2011

We have had our child at this school for years and are disappointed at its low quality teaching staff and office. See for yourself. Call the school and ask to speak to the assistant principle. You will be transferred and the phone will ring endlessly. You can't leave a message. I was there to speak with the office and a parent came in with a child with a blood scar on his head from the day before. He was upset that the attending teachers didn't help his son nor did they report that other kids abused him. After waiting for nearly an hour, he left in a huff. During that time, there was no one at the front office desk to take down his information. The teachers often send home work with misspellings and fragmented sentences. It is embarrassing to read what they have to say. One of them wrote down their number and it was a wrong number. I don't get what goes on there. Lots of homework but when they come back they don't seem to be graded. A check-mark, a comment or in most cases nothing at all. I attended many schools from my time moving with my dad who was in the military and each school had its good and bad teachers. I have met only bad ones at Miami Lakes K - 8 Center.

Posted January 27, 2011

this is the best school ever, my three children attend and i have a long way until they reach 8th grade but i feel so happy, grateful and lucky to have my children there, the teachers are A+, and the staff take things and any issue very seriously and they take action.

Posted September 21, 2010

Great teachers. Principal overall good leader but ignores most pressing problems. School has no parking for parents and nothing is being done to alleviate problem. Town of Miami Lakes is benefiting with unjust parking tickets.

Posted August 27, 2010

Great School! Great Teachers! Great Admin! Great Office! = Great Students! The school is beautiful with Smart Boards and Computers in every classroom. My son attended the school from K-8th grade and has now moved to high school with a wonderful education. Not sure why there are so many negative reviews..Everyone speaks English (I know this because I don't speak Spanish!) Can't ask for a better school! VERY challenging academics...always kept my son thinking and challenged.

Posted July 1, 2010

This school is unsafe for children. There is inadequate supervision. I have seen students leaving school grounds to skip school. Not even the crossing guards ask students why they are leaving. I have tried for many years to make the principal aware of this problem; however, the principal repeatedly neglects to return parents' phone calls. I finally gave up trying to reach the principal. If it's imperative that you speak with the principal regarding anything, I advise calling the school board and asking them to call the principal and request that she returns your call. This is what I will do the next time I need to speak with the principal. It may be the only way to get her to call you back. I think it's really sad that most parents, including myself, will have their children at this school for nine years without having one conversation with the principal.

Posted June 27, 2010

Protect your child send them elsewhere a Zoo would be better The school's adminstors run their principal. my child's K class had 34 students which they justified by putting 2 teachers in a class.1 spoke very bad english. My child has ADHD & ASPERGERS by Jan. he was on track due to medication & my efforts. After I was able to get my child to focus in an overcrowed class we asked "please correct his cirriculum he is way off level since he came into the school reading and writing." They never did it. he scored in the 98 percentile of the SAT's. They were teaching him to write letters & spell site words. my son was reading Harry Potter at home. The adminstrators will do WHATEVER they have to get your special needs child out of their school NOTHING IS OFF LIMITS several other parents have told us the same.

Posted April 26, 2010

My child has been here for many years, and I have never had one conversation with the principal. I have tried many times to contact the principal, especially when there has been an issue that I felt she should be made aware of. I've sent emails and left messages with office staff and assistant principals requesting that the principal return my calls. They assure me that they spoke with the principal and that she will soon be returning my calls, but she never does. I was also told that it is not possible to schedule an appointment to speak with the principal in person or over the phone and that the principal would not be able to meet with me in person if I came up to the school. I've spoken to many paremts, and they have all said that the principal has never returned their phone calls either. Very unprofessional.

Posted October 8, 2009

Miami Lakes K-8 Center is a great school. It has received and A+ grade for the last 10 years. My child has attended for the last 6 years and she is very happy, which is very important in her learning process. The teachers are caring, the school is kept clean, there is little or no behavioral problems, and it is a safe environment for the children. The new buildings and renovations recently made to the school have also beautified and improved it. I would recommend this school to any looking to offer their child a great learning experience.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

155 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

159 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 9%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

14250 NW 67th Ave