Gulfside Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 549 students

Posted November 13, 2012

My son has attended this school for nearly 3 years. And ALL 3 years he has suffered bullying,as so did my daughter in 5th grade year. I am VERY active in BOTH of my kids schooling,I make sure Im a presence there bacause of the bullying problems in that school. Yes,the teachers are VERY stressed,but after today I feel "some" might make excuses for the bullies there. Some kids (like my son) dont want to "tattle" or see some one punished out of fear. But if the bullying goes unreported~its not bullying when your child reports it the 20th time and has bruises. It's an "isolated incident". I have e-mailed my sons teacher on numerous ocassions,with no response back. But she cant utilize the same e-mail to notify me that all his work isnt being turned in,or of a problem in the class. Some teachers will slide on the dress code,I would'nt,which caused my daughter to be bullied. That incident was nearly 2 years ago when i brought it to administrations attention. Im still waiting for the promised call. My kids have reported OTHER children being bullied aswell. But if the parent isnt aware,the school WONT tell you. I virtual school my 7 grader,now maybe my 4th? Girls grades have improved ALOT!

Posted October 3, 2012

My daughter has been a student at Gulfside for most of her school education. Her teachers have been top-notch and very caring. The Principal is very engaged with both the students and the kids. As a parent, his door is always open. Any issues are handled with promptness and kindness. The staff is also very friendly and professional. Thank you, Gulfside teachers, and staff!

Posted October 3, 2012

My children have attended Gulfside since preschool and I have felt , as a parent, a welcomed part of the school community for over 6 years as my youngest continues to grow and prosper while having fun! It may not be the best school money can buy, but Im a realist who lives in Holiday Lake Estates.. I cant afford to send my kids to a private school or to send them across town. I chose to embrace the school and become involved to see how I could help make a difference! I have been involved by volunteering. We have felt how the school has grown and prospered under the current leadership! I know how diligent they worked to keep and maintain quality teachers and gain parent involvement! GSES leadership works very hard to focus on whats important for this community! As I read comments, I feel they are unfair. Halloween comment: it has been a holiday in schools for years, GSES didnt invent it, they just go along with it. Just keep your kids home that day. As for fcats, GSES tries to best prepare our kids, tests are required. Dropoff line: what school that has a great , no wait line? GSES strives for the best they can achieve with talent, empathy,TItle 1 funds for the good of the kids!

Posted August 13, 2012

Bad. I pulled my kids out. Please stop thinking the world revolves around the FCAT tests. It doesn't.

Posted August 13, 2012

There were a few nice teachers, but overall most are stressed out, run by the powers that be & controlled by the FCAT tests. The place is outdated & has TERRIBLE drop off/pick up policies for kids who are driven to school. I wiated in line for an HOUR or more every day to pick my kids up and even LONGER when it rained. Waste of my time. My kids got lice several times from other kids. Lots of hassle & expense. We were told all kids who were sent home with lice would be inspected before being allowed to return, but that never happened & the lice spread like wildfire. Lots of kids came to school very sick & that spreads quickly too. Lots of poor kids stuck in PLACE before & after school who are there for 12 hours a day - sick or not! Lots of trouble makers who are not diciplined or corrected too. We noticed bad treatment of Christian kids who wanted to ignore Halloween and mention Christ during Christmas & Easter but were told not to mention that & to call it Winter & Spring Break instead. Unfair rules about missing recess for OTHER kid's bad choices. Bad company DOES corrupt good character. My kids suffered lots of hurt feelins, tears & unfair treatment. Now I home school.

Posted August 13, 2012

My kindergarten boy was a sweet, innocent, nice, sensative kid until he attended this school. He was bullied and harassed relentlessly because he liked the color pink (he has 3 older sisters!). He was scarred for life from the mean kids who were never corrected. I've been home schooling him ever since. Now he's a wonderful 13 year old who is already taking college classes! He's a happy, healthy child. Too bad public school doesn't produce more like him! Behind every great kid is a great parent (or two!). Public school teachers should be able to plug their title in to finish that sentence as well, because not everyone can home school!

Posted June 5, 2011

I myself went to this school growing up its wonderful. my kids make excellent grades and they go far beyond to help kids out. .when my kids started their they was behind in speech now they are up and beyond thanks to the help with prek and speech theropy ... GO GULFSIDE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted July 26, 2009

We love the new writing program that the principal has gotten for the school. They have been working with USF to help teachers teach writing better and it shows. Thank you Mr. Clayton for all you do for our kids.

Posted April 14, 2009

This school is fabulous and the support given by the teachers and the principle is second to none.

Posted November 5, 2008

The school truly goes way above and beyond to try to reach out to parents. I've been on the SAC for two terms and I can say that the teachers and principal really care about making this school a place where kids can really get excited about learning. Their new writing program is awesome.

Posted November 6, 2007

This school goes way above and beyond to reach students. They have implemented many programs to help their many at risk kids become successful. The school makes numerous attempts to try to get parents involved.

Posted August 23, 2007

After reading the positive reviews...I was shocked! The school is outdated, over crowded the pod method is really behind the times. Parent's really don't get involved and are clueless about what is going on at the school. They have a C for the 3rd year in a row. Teacher turnover in very high! We are looking into new schools for our kids. They really need to wake up there!

Posted June 6, 2007

I like the school. It's clean and well kept. The teachers are very interactive. I went to talent show night and really enjoyed the participation. The music teacher was very enthusiastic and knew all the kids by name. I was very impressed. Teachers that enjoy teaching and interacting with their students. What a concept!!

Posted April 24, 2007

I have been a Gulfside parent for 4 years and my children and I love the family like atmosphere of the school. All my children have had wonderful educational experiences. The teachers and the administration are all very concerned about meeting child and parent needs and always make themselves available when I have had questions. The All Pro Dad's events this year were a great way to get Dad's involved.

Posted November 5, 2006

The teachers are very good and concerned about individual needs of children. The school has alot of handicapped kids who have to take the same FCAT test as others which effects school grade. There are alot of opportunties for parents to learn and be involved in the school which I like.

Posted September 9, 2006

My family loves Gulfside. I feel that the teachers and principal are always willing to go the extra mile to make sure the kids feel special. The prinicpal makes phones the parents when the kids are caught doing something good in school. I always feel welcome when I come in.

Posted July 14, 2006

Overall I am very pleased with the school. It would be nice if they were to update it some. I am concerned about our school score of a C. When my daughter first started the school it was rated an A.

Posted June 1, 2006

This school still utilizes the 'pod' method. Meaning there are big rooms with small partitions separating the classrooms. Very unorganized and very distracting and also very 1980. Also, the school was an A school just two years ago and now is a C.

Posted May 12, 2006

very overcrowed and not well organized classrooms, children are not getting along or working will together. Lots of clicks that do not play well with others. Was truly unhappy.

Posted December 26, 2005

Good academic program and good comunication with children
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

94 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

91 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 14%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • MR. CHRIS S CLAYTON
Fax number
  • (727) 774-6091

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Apply now