219 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I switched my child's school to The Charter School of Excellnce at the end of the years last year, as his previous charter school was basically a daycare with no teaching involved. This school has a decent curriculum but a very harsh way of teaching it or treating children who they feel do not comprehend. My son suffer from ADHD so he is slightly more active than other children, this created a problem for his previous teacher as she had no experience or idea how to handle things. Not to mention the way the principal began treating us. I was told my child will fail and I'm lucky he can even read then came time for the FSA end of the year testing and he scored well above average in everything and this seemed to upset the teach and the principal as they both had plans on retaining him. I was told by his old teacher she recommends I medicate him and again I refused and this of course was upsetting for them. After being told to medicate my child by a school official and not doing so the issues began. My child was told by the principal at the end of the year with a smile on her face that he will not be returning and that was correct. As I went to orientation and sat through the whole thing with this principal watching me and my son the entire time, I was then informed by "the principal" my son is no longer enrolled here and went on to basically tell me the day before school without and prior notification that's he is not enrolled in a school I asked why she stated although he started at the very and of the year my 20 volunteer hours were not completed only five were and reguardless of the time the child starts school she needs 20 hours in full and she then refused to allow me to some how make them up (pay whatever the school finds reasonable). She then said call her the following day and she will tell me what to (buy). I then called and was advised there were no more seats left in 4th grade and good luck. I asked to verification or anything that advised me of my child not being able to return as "the principal" told me was sent, they had not proof or anything to send me however all summer the school called me with updates. I then had a friend call in and inquire if there were seats for the 4th grade as I figured I may be being a little harsh. She was then told by the "receptionist/ principals best friend) that there are.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My child was sent home with 3 hours of H.W a night in the 3rd grade.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I switched my child's school to The Charter School of Excellnce at the end of the years last year, as his previous charter school was basically a daycare with no teaching involved. This school has a decent curriculum but a very harsh way of teaching it or treating children who they feel do not comprehend. My son suffer from ADHD so he is slightly more active than other children, this created a problem for his previous teacher as she had no experience or idea how to handle things. Not to mention the way the principal began treating us. I was told my child will fail and I'm lucky he can even read then came time for the FSA end of the year testing and he scored well above average in everything and this seemed to upset the teach and the principal as they both had plans on retaining him. I was told by his old teacher she recommends I medicate him and again I refused and this of course was upsetting for them both. After being told to medicate my child by a school official and not doing so the issues began. My child was told by the principal at the end of the year with a smile on her face that he will not be returning and that was correct. As I went to orientation and sat through the whole thing with this principal watching me and my son the entire time, I was then informed by "the principal" my son is no longer enrolled here and went on to basically tell me the day before school without and prior notification that's he is not enrolled in a school I asked why she stated although he started at the very and of the year my 20 volunteer hours were not completed only five were and reguardless of the time the child starts school she needs 20 hours in full and she then refused to allow me to some how make them up (pay whatever the school finds reasonable). She then said call her the following day and she will tell me what to (buy). I then called and was advised there were no more seats left in 4th grade and good luck. I asked to verification or anything that advised me of my child not being able to return as "the principal" told me was sent, they had not proof or anything to send me however all summer the school called me with updates. I then had a friend call in and inquire if there were seats for the 4th grade as I figured I may be being a little harsh. She was then told by the "receptionist/ principals best friend) that there are.

I have two children that attend this school, I have a 4th grader and a K student. My 4th grader has attended this school since 1st grade. Both children are performing at or above level in all areas. I attribute that to the great curriculum at the Charter school of Excellence along with teachers, staff and principal. They provide field trips that are both fun and educational for both students and parents alike. I would recommend this school to all as well as my friends and family.

I love that there is only 300 students. The students get personal attention and the staff gets to know you . You're not just another face in the crowd . The principal is involved in all the activities and she will always make time for you and your child. Angie works the front office and is amazing!

Charter school of excellence is a terrible school. They only think of the teachers and not the students. Teacher there don't have the ability nor patients for kids with energy or emotional disabilities. They will pick on kids and make kids very unhappy. They treat parents very disrespectful and talk very rude. If you ever need them to call you, you have to wait 3 to 4 days before you get a call back. They suspend your kids for nothing. They have been the worse school so far I have ever dealt with. I had no choice but to put my son in a public school because of how bad they treated him.

My daughter attended the Charter School of Excellence Davie Campus for the 2013-2014 school year. I must say that this school is not what I thought it would be. Especially after the introduction we received at Orientation/Open House. This is school is very unorganized. Information is not received in a timely manner and all assemblies are in the middle of the day. No consideration for working parents. Every Honor Assembly invitation I've received was a day no more than 2 prior. Working parents are unable to participate in this case leaving the child feeling disappointed. My child's teacher advised her father and I to stop teaching our child at home because she (the teacher) cannot stimulate my daughter. Communication between parent and teacher had to be initiated by the parent or else you would not have a clue about the incline/decline of your child's learning. Way to go! This school is not ready to be considered school.

The school is unorganized and unprofessionally run. Although it has the highest Florida Dept of Education school grade of its family of schools, the grade itself is an unimpressive C (the others are D rated). There are no clubs or even a PTA/PTO. No specials. The administration consists of only a receptionist and clueless principal. There's not even a nurse. No counselers or departments to evaluate the students progress. Although the student body is small, the classes are filled to capacity with only 1 teacher per class. class size can be as high 28-30. The plumbing is often not in working condition and some of the classrooms get extremely hot because cooling units are broken. Before care starts at a very late 7:30 and it is very likely to not be open on time. In the past 3 years there have been 4 different principals assigned to this school. There's been a high turnover of teachers as well. The schools administering body has failed. None of the teachers or staff's children attend the school. If they won't send their own kids there why would anyone else? Don't waste your time with this trainwreck.

My twin daughters are attending this school for the first time this year. Both of their teachers, Mrs. Lanclos, and Mrs. Flores are caring, professional,dedicated, and communicate with parents regarding their child's progress. They truly care about your child's progress, which is greatly appreciated. The school is small, and family oriented.

Great school. Excellent teachers in 4th grade. Motivating and dedicated to your child's education. Small, person-centered school.

Last modified Charter School Of Excellence At Davie is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.