2,023 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Disagree

No way. Kids are bullied via social media and on campus. Jones is head of campus security and cares less. He waits for physical confrontation. Nothing is truly anoymous and the student is made out to be the instigator while staff is protected. Not all students are treated equal..will not make this mistake again. One kid went here the others will not. However, there are a small handful of genuine well educated teachers here.

this school is great, the only thing that is not too good is the food but the rest is fine :)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

My daughter is a right brain learner so has difficulty learning when everything is lecture. I wish there were more opportunities for hands on learning. In the classes where there is hands on, she excels.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My daughter stays up most nights till 12mn doing her work. She does not have time to engage in more after school activities.

Like you are doing now, I reviewed about 5 schools that my daughter was considering both private and public. She chose SBHS because of the OCEAN STEM and Cambridge programs. She also wanted to be 5 min from home and not take the bus for hours. I was leery and said we would take it week by week. She came from Beachside, a Montessori school, that is all peace and love so I was concerned about her safety and her ability to integrate into a large multicultural school. She was in GEM and I was concerned about the academic environment. I was also concerned about the level of communication with teachers and administration because communication and support at BMV was a 10. I have been pleasantly surprised. She reports never feeling unsafe. I feel safe whenever I go to the school. The Cambridge program has been very challenging and she struggles to keep up, but does, doing hw till 12mn. She takes advantage of free tutoring 2x/wk. She cannot say enough good words about the Ocean STEM program. She loves the teacher finding him so interesting and competent in his ability to integrate so much of the world in his teaching. He gets his students fired up about anything marine. Mr. Davis, the program administrator has been the best! Besides being kind and nurturing, he gets grants for the students to attend summer marine camps and take trips around the world to learn about the ocean. Communication has been great with teachers and staff. Before my daughter even committed to SBHS, the principal, Ms. A, talked to me on the phone for 1 hr. We receive texts from her. She is very accessible and returns my emails promptly. Teachers have returned emails promptly and some have even called and talked for 30 min. Overall, so far, we have had a great experience with SBHS.

I am truly miserable at this school. This is my first year of ninth grade. This is also sure to be my last year at this school. If you are a student who's intelligent, proper, and has high standards please do not go here. They disguise the school with programs like Cambridge and Magnet and disregard the actual reality. Please listen to my comment while you still can.

The principal is involved and present at most school events. My son had an encounter with her that could have gone either way; however, due to her kind approach, he conformed immediately and respectfully complied with her request to conform with the District's rules. My only issue is that in general, teachers are not responsive to phone calls. Teachers should be held accountable for responding to parents. If you miss their calls, forget it. They are not responding to the second request to return the parent's call. The school has an excellent band program. Mr. Scott is tough on the students yet motivational. I have watched and listened to him from the sidelines and he is really great with them. I wished all teachers could be that way. That is, view teaching as a profession and not as a job, although it can be unrewarding with low pay. Over all good school. It has now added the Cambridge Program to its list of magnet programs (it already had a marine science program).

Both of my sons graduated from South Broward High school, one as recently as 2011. They have many outstanding teachers who care greatly for the students. I still volunteer there on a weekly basis and I see incredible efforts made to help students at all levels learn and grow. They have a brand new aquatic facility that is Olympic quality, a Marine magnet program which is unique to all of South Florida, an amazing art teacher who inspires students and a new Cambridge program to focus on academics and college credits. I never feel worried or in danger and have great interactions with the students. My older son has gone on to graduate a top notch college out-of-state and is now employed for a prestigious consulting firm thanks to the education he received at South Broward.

Since Owafadeju A.K.A Ms. A has been our principle great things have happened from teachers to staff to all extracurriculars across the board. She dresses as if she was running a prep school & cares about all her students & they're parents. There is a state of the art new pool,new track,new competitive cheer team,band is fantastic,new IB program,tons of tutoring. Staff and guidance that actually guides you. Absolutely zero tolerance on any sort of misbehaving. I am very proud of this school and extremely proud of our principle. South Broward will be something to be reckoned with. I see the vision and better yet see things happening that gets us closer to greatness. Parent involvement is on the rise and helps. Be involved and you and your kid will be happy. GO BULLDOGS

This school has made many changes since the new principal has came on board in her second year now. SBHS will be notes as the top school in the entire Broward County as having the highest improved score by passing the second school with an additional 20 points. Have your child involved in activities, Band is a great option. Be involved with your child no matter what school and you will be fine.

Last modified South Broward High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.