2,023 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 03, 2016
Mr. Hagerty and Mr. Davis, thank you so much for getting my daughter fired up about Marine Science. Ms. Kelly, thank you for all your interesting current event discussions. I love when my daughter comes home and tells me all she has learned from you. Ms. Giczy, thank you for being a great role model for my daughter in Chinese class. You make learning a difficult subject easy.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 03, 2016
My daughter is a right brain learner so has difficulty learning when everything is lecture. I wish there were more opportunities for hands on learning. In the classes where there is hands on, she excels.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted January 03, 2016
My daughter stays up most nights till 12mn doing her work. She does not have time to engage in more after school activities.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted January 03, 2016
The Cambridge and Ocean STEM programs definitely encourage these qualities. I love how her AICE writing teacher allows them to correct the work till they get it right. I think that is what learning is all about.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted January 03, 2016
Her AICE thinking skills class requires a current event evaluation every week. The teacher discusses current events and helps her have respect for multiple issues and people around the world. Participating in cheerleading has increased her sense of respect for self and her team.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted January 03, 2016
She is offered volunteering opportunities almost weekly. She was invited to be a member of the International Club to help non-English speaking students practice their English.

South Broward High School 5

Posted January 03, 2016
Like you are doing now, I reviewed about 5 schools that my daughter was considering both private and public. She chose SBHS because of the OCEAN STEM and Cambridge programs. She also wanted to be 5 min from home and not take the bus for hours. I was leery and said we would take it week by week. She came from Beachside, a Montessori school, that is all peace and love so I was concerned about her safety and her ability to integrate into a large multicultural school. She was in GEM and I was concerned about the academic environment. I was also concerned about the level of communication with teachers and administration because communication and support at BMV was a 10. I have been pleasantly surprised. She reports never feeling unsafe. I feel safe whenever I go to the school. The Cambridge program has been very challenging and she struggles to keep up, but does, doing hw till 12mn. She takes advantage of free tutoring 2x/wk. She cannot say enough good words about the Ocean STEM program. She loves the teacher finding him so interesting and competent in his ability to integrate so much of the world in his teaching. He gets his students fired up about anything marine. Mr. Davis, the program administrator has been the best! Besides being kind and nurturing, he gets grants for the students to attend summer marine camps and take trips around the world to learn about the ocean. Communication has been great with teachers and staff. Before my daughter even committed to SBHS, the principal, Ms. A, talked to me on the phone for 1 hr. We receive texts from her. She is very accessible and returns my emails promptly. Teachers have returned emails promptly and some have even called and talked for 30 min. Overall, so far, we have had a great experience with SBHS.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 23, 2015
I am so extremely grateful and so very happy with Ms. Sanderson from South Broward High School. She is a blessing and has helped my daughter so much this Senior year. She found out that my daughter has been struggling with math and was even missing or struggling with basic foundations and has taken her own time to tutor our daughter and help her to understand concepts. I am proud that she finally passed and has everything she needs to walk the stage. THANK YOU MS. SANDERSON!!! You are teacher of the year to us..

South Broward High School 1

Posted February 18, 2015
I am truly miserable at this school. This is my first year of ninth grade. This is also sure to be my last year at this school. If you are a student who's intelligent, proper, and has high standards please do not go here. They disguise the school with programs like Cambridge and Magnet and disregard the actual reality. Please listen to my comment while you still can.

South Broward High School 3

Posted September 27, 2014
The principal is involved and present at most school events. My son had an encounter with her that could have gone either way; however, due to her kind approach, he conformed immediately and respectfully complied with her request to conform with the District's rules. My only issue is that in general, teachers are not responsive to phone calls. Teachers should be held accountable for responding to parents. If you miss their calls, forget it. They are not responding to the second request to return the parent's call. The school has an excellent band program. Mr. Scott is tough on the students yet motivational. I have watched and listened to him from the sidelines and he is really great with them. I wished all teachers could be that way. That is, view teaching as a profession and not as a job, although it can be unrewarding with low pay. Over all good school. It has now added the Cambridge Program to its list of magnet programs (it already had a marine science program).

1901 North Federal Highway, Hollywood, FL  33020
Last modified South Broward High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.