Keys Gate Charter High School

Charter | 9-12 | 1125 students

Our school is best known for the Cambridge Program.

Posted July 1, 2014

This is a great school I highly recommend it especially since it's so small it's like one big family.

Posted April 18, 2014

Too many fights, administration is bad at timing events, has a lack of intellectually challenging classes and doesn't have FLVS. I'm in the Cambridge/Aice program and it is too easy(straight A's), so I'm changing to another school. Leave the ship before it sinks...

Posted April 10, 2014

Keys Gate Charter High School is the BEST!!! I am a proud and lucky parent to be part of this great school. The teachers, counselor, and staff provide a friendly and welcome place to parents and students. I know my kids are accomplishing beyond their educational needs. Thank you Keys Gate for going beyond your call of duty for our children and future pioneers!

Posted April 5, 2014

I've been going to kgcs for 9 years, and over this period of time the school constantly got worse. Violence, bullying, drugs, have dramaticly gotten worse. The lunch they serve is from a cheap company, becuase the school(funded by csusa) only cares about money. The lunch can be so bad(once i found myself drinking rotten milk) that some students throw out most if not entire school lunches, which in turn decreases mental stanima. Alot of the staff can be rude all the time and treat students as if we were lesser beings. The teacher can be kind and caring, and some times goods teachers but can be very limited to materials in class room. The orginization is horrible with 7th and 8th grade students mixed in with 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. The only program they have is cambridge and all i have to say is that is a JOKE! Do not watse time with keys gate, you are better off living in homestead and send your child to attend a school in miami.

Posted February 21, 2014

I used to work at this school. It has its hiccups. discipline could be more evenly spread but it's a good school. teachers are under a microscope but they care a lot about the students and do their best. I witnessed the administration deal with a victim of bullying with much care. Later, the bully was dealt with immediately. The VP knows EVERY kid by name. However, I have also seen "certain" students in the hall without ever getting in trouble and heard of things that students would be suspended or expelled for getting only a minor consequence. I've seen some kids get called out of class and be given take out or delivery food from a STAFF MEMBER and eat it in class. I do know the teachers have definitely been trained in Cambridge. It is a young program and is developing. There is no "Cambridge Certificate". Honestly, it is probably the best, if not one of the best schools in homestead. that means its average at best compared to other better FL schools. It could be more academically rigorous but teachers have to accept late work whenever the student want to turn it in and they are discouraged from failing students so grades are inflated and they're not pushed very hard.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 20, 2014

Keys Gate Charter High School is a joke!!!!! As a parent I see and hear about Bullying, bullying, bullying it's SO sad 75% of students are coming from schools where they have been kicked out for drugs or discipline issues .....faculty does not protect the good students at all. A lot of faculty have their children attending and they don't have rules like the other students they get away with everything!!!!! The disrespect to adults is horrible do not put your children here the Cambridge program is a joke most teachers aren't even certified!!!! Good luck..... Stick with Public Schools where it's not a business!!!

Posted December 6, 2013

I have been going to this school for 6 years. Now the first two years were okay (started to get bullied seriously for the first time). In six grade all of the kids were ruthless, horrible, unfriendly. Thank god I'm in high school now. I still get bullied but very little now. Those kids that did those horrible things to me ended up making me go to a therapist. These students don't care for their future, smoking, drugs, drunk, high, sexual references. This is all I listen to all day long. These faculty don't care for us, they just want money. They have all the money for apple computers and technology but they can't get a real auditorium, gym, SCHOOL FOOD. They are very very strict on uniforms. Get caught with a jacket, taken away. No i.d. badge, detention. Faculty cursing, called me a retard before and deaf. They treat us like babies. I have work to do on a computer but I can't do it because they have to block every website there is. In all, hostile kids, cheap, don't care for us, dope head kids, faculty. Magnet school? No. If you want to go to a school better than this then go to Coral Reef.

Posted November 30, 2013

Horrible leadership within this school. Poor communication between teachers, leaders, and parents. Selectively enforced policies, rules, and guidelines. Teaches the wrong life lessons to children from examples set. On the other hand, you can rest assured that it reinforces that life isn't fair, some people just aren't nice, and not all role models should be considered, well, role models. Stay away from this place. Very disappointing. Only gave them a 1 star because you couldn't give zero stars, 2 star items should be viewed as "in comparison to" the one star items, and considered relative, not an indication of being truly 2 star worthy. We currently attend this school.

Posted November 16, 2013

Im currently going to Keys Gate charter high right now and let me tell you for my first year being here I think this school is horrible. all the staff care about is having perfect kids and perfect grades and perfect scores , they don't care about anything else but that , they want us to be their shiny student , it's ridiculous , but I must say that the teacher are very nice and caring & if parents want to attend their kids in this school I thi k you should think about it wisely if you don't want your child to have sucky high school years

Posted July 28, 2013

I've been going to keys fare for about 5 years now & I'm starting high school this year. The high school is a pure joke. As said before, the school only cares for its perfection, which it is not at all. A real high school has lockers, auditorium, football field, and easier uniform. They want us to be shiny and perfect students, and because of that all the students rebel against the principal & faculty. The are only about a dozen teachers there that are actually real and genuine and nice. If I could change schools, I'd do it in a heart beat. If this school could give us a choice to let us eat outside for lunch and put in lockers and give better opportunities to the students, I'd recommend it to everyone.

Posted July 9, 2013

Who ever did the first two reviews as student's saying they love the school, are clearly lying and must be someone whole works for the school trying to keep the rating up. I've been here for years and I can tell you not a single student is "proud" to go to this school. They care too much of the look of the school rather than the actual students. They want the kids to look nice and shiny and have good test scores and thats about it. I am in class of 2014 and they have barely offered anything to my graduating class, they're even taking away AP classes. Also they don't have enough freedoms for us, we're in high school and we're REQUIRED to stay in the cafeteria for lunch? What is that? The school also lacks a library and auditorium. The only thing I can say I enjoy about this school is the teachers, they're genuine and truly care about the students and I feel like they put in their full effort.

Posted June 1, 2013

For students, this school may not be your best option for your children. My daughter was picked on repeatedly and whenever she reached out to other students to step in and help her when she was being bullied, nobody helped her. The teachers failed to respond to my daughter's requests for them to scold the bullies. Administration is inadequate with solving bullying issues. Before you allow your child to attend this school, think about it carefully.

Posted March 6, 2013

As a teacher retired from 45 years teaching in a Public school, I wanted to experience the "Charter" strategy....so I sought a position with KeysGate. I just resigned from them in January 2013. I was disappointed with their obsession for test score prep and their willingness to drop a teacher from employment on a days' notice. I witnessed two teachers in the science department alone dropped the few months I was there; I also found out that their pay scale is lower than other charter schools...they get primarily very young, very enthusiastic teachers. I hear that their employee turnover rate is huge. The administration was caring, professional, and concerned; it seemed like the corporate leaders have a firm hold on them. I wasn't impressed that parents must serve 20 hours volunteer time or pay $10 per hour to supplement the school budget. And finally, I wasn't impressed with the room and class scheduling for me. I had to prepare for two different lessons, and different labs. I had to migrate to a lab room to do labs. The lesson I take away from this is that if you want your money's worth, stay with the public schools. KeysGate is a good school..but....

Posted March 2, 2013

I really love this school! The whole focus is college readiness. Next year we have our first graduating class. Our scores continue to show why we were an "A" school last year. There is a wide array of athletics and they offer the Cambridge Program for Advanced Studies. I am thankful this school is in Homestead and available for me!

Posted April 25, 2012

This school is unlike any other.I feel very proud to go to a school where the teachers actually care for their students education.there is the fact that it can be challenging at the same time for example with Cambridge. I must say I really have enjoyed coming to this school.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

358 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

299 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

301 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

201 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2010-2011.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

283 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

254 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

329 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

225 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Attendance and completion

Dropout rate 1%N/A2%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Homestead Senior High School
South Dade Senior HS
Colleges most students attend after graduation First 12th Grade Class
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher education levels

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 35%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Spanish
Haitian Creole
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State of Florida "A" School (2012)
  • Nova Writing Award (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Blood Drive Award (2013)
  • Digital Learning Challenge (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • SADD

• 7:30 am
School end time
  • 2:30 am
  • MR. DAVID MCKNIGHT
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
Foreign languages taught
  • French
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • Criminal Justice

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Homestead Hospital

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Submit your application by

February 15, 2014

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
250
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
1000
Students typically come from these schools
Homestead Senior High School
South Dade Senior HS

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Keys Gate Charter High School
Coral Glades Senior High School
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

2000 Southeast 28th Avenue