Public charter
Homestead, FL

Posted May 16, 2014
Wow! This school was well beyond expectations! Our child really learned so much. We are honored and most proud. The POWER of a POSTMODERN EDUCATION!!! Breezy Leeza truly lives up to her name because she makes learning Kool, just like a breath of fresh air on a sunny subtropical afternoon.

Posted November 05, 2013
I am very disappointed with Summerville. They do not follow MDCPS standards of communication with parents. Their curriculum lacks rigor and purpose. It seems like everything is a secret and if you ask for a parent conference you might get one, maybe. The principal lacks personal communication skills and likes to boast that she likes to confront parents. She is very aggressive and lacks warmth of any type. Her poor leadership style has affected her staff and their teaching . The school went down to a C. She does not demonstrate pedagogy; children are blamed for all shortcomings. Parents are shut out , unless it has to do with acquiring money for events. The good teachers are either gone or need to keep their job and just stay quiet. The principals favorite frequently screams and humiliates the children. Theirs another who has poor class management and spends her day blowing a whistle. Even though you may send a child to school with the requested supplies they will be given to everyone else; then they'll penalize your child for not bringing a red pen.This facility is a true disaster. Classes are overcrowded and they don't deliver , lots of smoke and mirrors.

Posted September 29, 2013
Are you headed their way? TURN AROUND!!!! The administration is poor. The principal Ms. Leza is not parent friendly. She would rather ignore you and doesn't allow parent participation. Her attempts to run a tight ship should include a dress code for herself. See through, sleeveless on a principal?!?!? Oh and don't forget the leopard skin stiletto shoes the women wear. Really? Can you protect my child if you had to run? I give her a little credit, most students seem to like her. The PTSO is lacking, leadership and know how. They need a course on how to run a parent board. Most of the teachers are pretty good. The discipline techniques are a bit too tough though. Children are not allowed to go to the restroom yet sent home if a child sneezes. If the answer another child's question, they are disciplined. I once had a concern and wanted to talk to someone of authority and was hung up on instead of given a phone number. So sad.

Posted February 12, 2013
I am seriously concerned about my kids attending this school and will pull them out immediately. The teachers at the school seem dedicated but there is a complete lack of morale at the school. The new administration (Breezy Liza is the new principal) is disgraceful and their attempts at running a tight ship borders on the ridiculous. Case in point, the police was called on a 3rd grade student with special needs because 'he couldn't be controlled' (no weapons of any kind were found in the child's possession; no threats were made). Children are never allowed to offer any explanation if a misbehavior arises; they are expected to 'be quiet' and comply with the orders given. My kids are complaining of not being allowed to talk in class (understandable), or breaks (?), or even in the cafeteria; seriously?! Apparently there are no bathroom passes after 2:00pm eventhough school is in session until 3:30pm! The new 5th grade teacher has taken to asking the kids to copy lines like 'I must not talk in class' for pages on end! After being a customer of this school since their opening I mourn for the wonderful school it once was. Our kids deserve better and so they are leaving.

Posted June 10, 2012
MY KIDS ARE GOING TO START GOING TO THIS SCHOOL FOR THE 2012-2013 SCHOOL YEAR. I HOPE TO HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH TEACHERS AND STAFF ALIKE. READ ALL THE REVIEWS; SOME GOOD, SOME BAD... HOPEFULLY THE NEXT REVIEW I WRITE FOR THIS SCHOOL WILL BE VERY POSITIVE.

Posted May 27, 2012
THIS SCHOOL IS A WASTE OF TIME! DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL!! WHY DO I SAY THAT?!?! WELL I HAVE EXPERIENCE BECAUSE I WAS A STUDENT THERE! BUT I LEFT BECAUSE THAT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! THE TEACHERS THERE DO NOT MOTIVATE THE KIDS AT ALL! ADMINISTRATION IS HORRIBLE! THEY DON'T CARE AT ALL! IF A KID GOES MISSING I BET THEY WON'T EVEN CARE! I BEG OF ALL OF YOU PARENTS DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE! THEY ONLY WANT YOUR MONEY! MY PARENTS WASTED MORE THAN $300 ON THIS TERRIBLE SCHOOL!! DON'T I SAY THIS AGAIN DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE!!! Sincerely, a used to go to this school girl! who now goes to a better school aka Centennial Middle School which is turning to a high school...Centennial is a great and awesome school to go to! send your children to Centennial because its awesome there! now those are people who cares!!

Posted May 15, 2012
My daughter started Kindergarten 2011-2012, I am very pleased with the school staff, very reliable, very responsible, and in terms in communication great!! Ms. Ramirez and Ms. Fyffe are great teachers. They have an awesome reading program after school, and dance club. Keep it up Summerville!!!

Posted March 29, 2012
Excellent teachers. Both children attend and are doing great. Very happy with the school all around. I travel far each day to take my children to school but it is well worth the drive. Thanks

Posted October 11, 2011
Our child's 1st year was great. We liked the fact that it was a small setting. But the 2nd year we ve ran into serious problems with the teacher she does not motivate our child, she doesn t post the assignments on Edline, as a matter of fact Edline is BLANK. When we tried to talk to the teacher, we hit a brick wall, literally. She did not return our calls/emails and when we went by the school to talk to her she had a blank look on her face that showed total lack of care. We contacted the principal but it just seemed that everywhere we turned no one could help us. This school needs MAJOR IMPROVEMENT. Teachers and faculty need to stop concentrating on just test scores so that thy can have an A school and dedicate sometime to actually teaching and connecting with students and parents. Needless to say, our child did not return to this school for a third year.

Posted May 17, 2011
The communication at this school is horrible. In the Parent/Student Handbook, it states that assignments are posted on the school's Edline site. This is not true. In fact, there are no assignments posted, only grades. How are parents supposed to keep up with their child's assignments if they aren't posted? Agendas are a waste of time/money as well because there is never anything written in them. Edline/Agenda are no assistance to assignments whether they are homework and/or classroom assignments. I can't speak for the principal but the AP never responds or provides feedback to anything. Parent/Teacher conferences are a waste of time. There's not enough time and most of the time the teachers are either late, or they don't show up claiming they forgot or the parent didn't respond back to them. Teachers need to abide by their own school's handbook. It clearly states in the Parent Handbook to 'be prompt' for conferences....teachers are never prompt! I am very disappointed with this school and my child WILL NOT be attending there for the 2011-2012 school year!

Summerville Advantage Academy
11575 Southwest 243 Street, Homestead, FL  33032
Last modified Summerville Advantage Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summerville Advantage Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top