Public charter
Islamorada, FL
Before care: Yes

Treasure Village Montessori Charter School 2

Posted August 23, 2014
There have been some positive changes to TVM with the new leadership, however the honesty and integrity of this leadership is suspect. Many of the changes are window dressing: new picnic tables, new staff shirts, new lobby area. The negative changes are more academic: 5th grade math book does not meet FL common core, bad teachers are left in place and good ones are run off. When the leadership is questioned the tell you what you want to hear, not the truth. If your child is a good student they will be forgotten, when offered money to start a gifted program the current leadership 'declined.' They are focused on the 'exceptional child education' students. FCAT scores dropped in March 2014, and then there was a mass-exodus of the top students. Expect the decline to continue. Verify anything you are told.

Treasure Village Montessori Charter School 4

Posted July 10, 2014
I am sorry but I had to take time to write something after reading the last few reviews. I hope that someone interested in this program takes the time to tour and find out from other people about how positive this school is, the last few reviews do not do the school justice. New leadership means changes, however I do not agree that they have all been negative. I have noticed that the campus is much more organized and a lot of attention has been given to the classrooms. Teachers seem happy to be there and my chidren are thriving at this school. They have opportunities that they would not be getting at the tradition public schools. I cannot speak to the dismissal of a staff member but I am sure that their were reasons for that decision. Treasure Village is a remarkable school, the Principal continues to greet every student by name in the mornings and afternoon and my children love it. The academics are top notch and they address areas of the curriculum like leadership and communication that other schools tend to leave out.

Posted July 10, 2014
I am a parent with 2 children at TVM, one without special needs and the other with special needs. I moved my oldest from another school to this one 5 years ago and could not be happier. It is always scary when a new leadership team takes over but the new principal and assistant principal did a phenomenal job replacing the much loved previous principal. They have a different style but they are still caring and loving. Also, I think things are even more transparent now. The new administration has always been very willing to listen to my concerns with an open mind and I really appreciate our discussions. The teachers and staff at TVM are amazing. (Not all parents agree that the teacher that left was a good teacher. I personally respected and admired the way that the principal handled herself during those discussions.) The bottom line is that both of my children love coming to school. Each year I am blown away by the new ideas and advancements that the TVM staff and leadership provide for my children. I really wish they could add a high school.

Posted July 10, 2014
TVM is a school where I have had 3 of my children attend. Two still attend, and I have a 4th beginning this upcoming school year. Over the years there has been a lot of change. I feel as each year comes and goes the school grows. I remember a time where the previous principal (left 2013) would tell you whatever you wanted you to hear to make you leave with warm fuzzies, only to realize later the issue was never taken care of. The current admin. will take the time to listen and truly answer, helping you solve the problem. I have seen a school hand over more leadership responsibilities to the staff, which has created a more unified environment and positive place for children to attend. This past year a teacher choose to leave and it created an environment where parents, staff and children felt more comfortable, and didn't feel like they had to walk on egg shells. I feel like there is an open door where I can communicate with my children's teachers, the admin and my kids feel "at home". I also love how they integrate the Montessori and state standards to create a curriculum that is hands on, and truly allows for concepts to become mastered. I wouldn't change schools at all.

Posted June 26, 2014
i WANTED TO TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE ABOUT THIS SCHOOL. FIRST OFF THE CHANGE IN LEADERSHIP HAS DRAMATICALLY IMPACTED THE FLOW OF THE SCHOOL. UNFORTUNATLY THE LACK OF ATTENTION TO CERTAIN SITUATION AND FOLLOW UP, HAS LEAD MY CHILD TO HAVE A DIRECT IMPACT WITH THE OUTCOME. I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN THIS SCHOOL FELT LIKE A FAMILY AND THINGS WERE THE STUDENTS WERE THE PRIORITY TO THE LEADERSHIP TEAM. UNFORTUNATLY THIS PAST YEAR HAS LEAD ME TO CHANGE SCHOOLS AND LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE MY CHILDRENS NEEDS MET. THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE AMONG A LOT OF PARENTS THIS PAST YEAR AND THE LOSS OF OTHER STUDENTS IN EACH GRADE HAVE OCCURED. ANOTHER EVENT THAT OCCURED THIS PAST YEAR WAS THE LOSS OF ONE OF THE BEST EDUCATORS THAT THE SCHOOL HAS EVER HAD. THIS IS THE MOST MONEY HUNGRY SCHOOL AS WELL.

Posted June 25, 2014
I agree entirely with the last comment. A good school has a good leader. This past year with the new change of leadership has actually hindered the learning environment., attitudes of children, and delay in assistance for those with special needs. I too and running to another school.

Posted June 24, 2014
You'll notice that most of the glowing reviews for this school are from 2009. That is before a new administration took over the school. Unfortunately the school has done nothing but go downhill since. The administration has alienated parents and teachers with their autocratic style of governance. More importantly, there is a very serious credibility issue regarding the honesty and integrity of the principal and vice-principal as a result of an unpleasant situation involving the dismissal of one of the most respected teachers at the school. I read one of the reviews that talked about how it felt like TVM was one big family. I remember those days! It was a wonderful school with a proactive and inspiring administration who brought out the best in the students, the teachers and the school. I would never have thought that I would be taking my child out of the school but we are running not walking to a new school this coming year (2014-2015) as are a number of other discouraged families.

Posted September 28, 2012
This school does not prepare students for the real world. The children are coddled, given too many chances and too much flexibility. As a result, they do not know what it means to sit still, pay attention and be responsible for themselves. Students love the school because there is such a strong social (not academic) model. I loved this school too and didn't realize how laid back it was since it was the only school my child had ever attended. After going to a new school I was amazed at the productivity and the better quality education. The opportunities my child has at her new larger school is ten-fold and they are so far beyond TVM academically. She has learned to be productive, responsible for her own work, independent and is now learning the skills she will need to be successful in college. It was very difficult for her to get used to a new school at first after years at TVM, but now she understands what she was missing and tells me that TVM was a 'permanent recess.' I love how the school values health and making good choices and it definitely feels like a big family, but if you want your child to be successful in life-this school and the Keys are not the real world.

Posted October 16, 2011
We went from a regular public montessori in another state, to TVM. My son loves his school, his teachers, his friends, and actually gets up everyday excited about going to school. Unlike so many other schools these days physical activity and outside time is daily, they teach the whole child not just math and reading. The art teacher, music teacher, librarian right down to the support staff are all wonderful. We are blessed to have TVM in our community.

Posted September 15, 2011
TVM is continually changing to keep up with the highest standards. To have such a great education in such a wonderful setting is a blessing. I also love how they teach the "whole" student, about manners, respect, healthy eating, exercise and the environment. I couldn't be happier that my child is excelling and is loving it.

Treasure Village Montessori Charter School
86731 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL  33036
Last modified Treasure Village Montessori Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Treasure Village Montessori Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top