Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1136 students

Posted May 31, 2014

To the teacher of 15 years, I'm sure the parents of your students appreciate your efforts. Additionally, you should know that not all of your colleagues share the same work ethic. I certainly cannot speak for others, however, I can say that teachers at this school do not communicate due to my personal experience. My child was there for 3 years and each year I had at least one teacher who failed to respond to emails, voicemails and hand written letters. One year, after receiving a scholarship warning, the teacher failed to respond to numerous efforts and I was forced to schedule a conference with the whole team. When I was finally allowed my 20 minute conference, report cards were already issued and I was told I needed to move past the non-response and focus on grade recovery. I found it difficult to move past, because had there been a response to multiple contacts on my part, a conference would not have been necessary. That line of reasoning fell on deaf ears and my thoughts were quickly dismissed. It is frustrating as a parent when we want to partner with teachers, seek their advice and make our children accountable, but it turns out to be one-sided.

Posted May 30, 2014

I have been a teacher at Fletcher Middle for 15 years and it is an excellent school. We have very high FCAT scores, vey few failures and fights are few and far between. I'm not sure why people post on here that teachers don't communicate - students' grades have available online for five years. If parents don't know how their children are doing its because they aren't checking. The majority of the teachers are very caring and work hard to provide a quality education. I consider it to be one of the best middle schools in the county.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 13, 2012

Poor curriculum. Predjudice against students with learning difficuties. Unable to process complaints or issues effectively. Never get to speak to the principal (he's always "in a meeting"). Continually rerouted to the staff that is the problem for sending my child out of the classroom for 5 days without even informing me. My child has been bullied there many times. Her friend got punched in the face there. Nothing was done to stop the bullying. My child does not receive a quality education there.

Posted June 6, 2011

There are many choices out there right now in choosing a school for your child....each bring their own positives and negatives. With that being said, I would like to commend the FMS principal for making such a positive impact on his staff and the students. He has managed to bring cohesiveness amongst the entire school which in turn is demonstrated through the positive attitudes in the students and the teachers. Granted, ALL schools have their issues (even the magnet schools believe it or not!) But, do they have a leader who will not stand for mediocracy? That is what makes FMS different we have a leader who will not settle for less than 100% effort from his staff and from the students. Do the other schools have a principal that goes out each and every morning to greet the students with a hand shake, high five or a "I am going to keep my eye's and ear's open today, stay out of trouble!" Our gifted program is led by elIte teachers in their field. We have a science teacher that could do 360's around any science teacher in town! A gifted math teacher who pours his heart and soul into making FMS the best it can be! Let the word get out that FMS is a FORCE to be RECKON with!!!

Posted December 28, 2009

I have the opportunity of having kids in all three schools on Seagate and 18th. The middle school while having problems is not the only one. The only way to get good education is to be an advocate for your child and be involved in the school, both PTA and committees, and activities. Only this ensures a better outcome when going to high school, which is a whole different ballgame. The education does need supplementation even in honors classes; Our children attend outside coursework to keep them competitive for college. Florida education system in general needs some serious review.

Posted December 22, 2009

My child has been ignored by the teachers at Fletcher Middle School. They were unresponsive when my daughter needed help or was having problems. I was shocked to see my daughters report card grades to have dropped to C's and D's when in elementary school she was making A's and B's. This just didn't make sense, and when I tried to talk with her teachers, they blamed it on my daughters 'learning disabilities' which of none she had. This infuriates me that the teachers do not try to help the students but instead give long lectures on how to behave which is obviously not helping because my daughter has seen many fights in her school, none of which she was involved in. My first child had gone to Mayport Middle School, which he had no problems at, and that is where I'll be sending my daughter now.

Posted June 17, 2009

This school reaches past my standerds. It's an A+ school. It's achievment in helping kids learn and succeed, is beyond excellence. It has opened my eyes in how well their teachings are. I know my 3 kids love it there! Ever since they arrived at Fletcher in this year, They have done nothing but build cofidence and achive things on whole new levels, I never thought was possible! i am honored to say My kids will continue to stay at Fletcher for their 7th and 8th grade years!

Posted June 5, 2009

The teachers work extremely hard to help students be successful. Discipline, however, has been lax in recent years and the students have begun to run wild. It is still a great school with great students, overall and there are many opportunities for students to receive extra help when needed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 28, 2009

I am a student at fletcher school and I love it! all my friends go there and I have had a blast in sixth grade... there a little problem but they handled it all out.... I have to disagree on the teachers though most my teachers are pretty nice but Its not like im failing... like in math I started out with F's and D's and now my math grade is up to B's once I got used to the curriculm...

Posted May 20, 2009

My son go to FMS, 7th grade. His 6th grade at Fletcher was just a nightmare and it didn't change a bit. His grades were a lot of D's of F's. I was just shocked. He was in the gifted class at the elementary school .I couldn't understand the reason behind this, until I meet his group of teachers... just mean and careless teachers. They will blame everything on him.Their lack of communication with the parents it's just amazing.It took me a lot of my time to help my kid to go through this. I exchanged opinions with other parents, we all got the same answer: 'This is middle school, kids need to grow up and deal with it'..If I could pay for a priv school, my son wouldn't be there now. Beware of this school.

Posted July 9, 2008

Personally i am a student at fletcher, but i have to say fletcher is very bad. Im going into 8th grade.Yeah their gifted program is good but normal standard and advanced, its bad. Kids always trash talk,and even though we have a police officer on campus we still have so many fights(and we have cameras!). To me, is just unbelieveable how bad kids are. Even the youngest ones are the worst! the cirriculum is ok but to me they should split up the more challenged to the less challenged. Because i will be reading and we have to stop because a child cant read or anything!!! i do not recommend fletcher as a school; it is not safe at all. Im not even going to fletcher high!

Posted February 29, 2008

This school is the only school I would ever send my son...it is much safer and calmer than Landmark!!! The curriculum is much more rigorous.

Posted January 30, 2008

The school now has 3 learning options; gifted, ESE, and everyone else. The lack of communication is terrible and the wait time for a conference is beyond acceptable. My child is asking to go elsewhere next year due to not being challenged and the out of control behavior of students.

Posted January 24, 2008

I currently have a child in 7th Grade and have had one other child go thru F'letcher Middle School. As with any large middle school, there wil be some disciplinary problems. We were given a new principal and new adminstrative team at the beginning of 2006-07 and there have been some 'growing pains'. My first child was in the gifted program which was excellent. My second child needs some learning accommodations due to a learning disability. So I have had two very different experiences. But I have been happy with both. I have found almost all the teachers to be committed and caring. My oldest is now in 9th Grade and was well prepared. All students are using an advanced curriculum as of this year with safety nets for those students needing additional help.

Posted January 8, 2008

I am a 6th grade student at Fletcher, and though my sister loved her 6th grade experience, I currently do not. The teacher and student communication is entirely non-existant. I have to say I am extremely disappointed. Sorry Fletcher, but please, if you wonder why so many kids are getting Ds and Fs, please open your eyes and ears. It could help.

Posted November 10, 2007

This is my daughters first year at fletcher middle . She is in 7th grade and has already been physically attacked twice although the other student was disciplined she still continues threatening her. I have been at the school on several occasions and there's ALWAYS more then one student waiting to get there punishment from the principal for fighting. I thought fletcher had a good reputation .She will definetly NOT be returning next year I am very disappointed with FMS.

Posted February 6, 2007

Very disappointed in the teachers & the set up to meet with them. Very poor communication and lack of teacher accountabilty!

Posted October 31, 2006

Fletcher is rated an 'A' school, however, it has the worst teacher involvement of any school I've ever seen. My son has 2 good teachers out of 7, not good odds. Don't make the mistake I did - talk to the teachers before you enroll your children here. I am moving my son to Dupont.

Posted October 8, 2006

I feel this school could do more.

Posted October 3, 2006

This is my son's first year; he is in sixth grade. I have found that some teachers are much better than others at communicating when there are issues with regards to my child's grades. They send out progress reports every two weeks which, at times, can be a bit confusing but it does help me ensure that my child is keeping up with his schoolwork. Grading is based on several factors and if your child neglects homework or a class assignment, his grade can go down or up quite a bit on these 'progress reports'. Teacher conferences must be made in advance and can take up to three weeks before everyone can see you.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

359 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

357 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

308 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

400 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

130 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

357 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

369 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

356 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

385 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

245 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs