Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 3

Posted May 31, 2014
To the teacher of 15 years, I'm sure the parents of your students appreciate your efforts. Additionally, you should know that not all of your colleagues share the same work ethic. I certainly cannot speak for others, however, I can say that teachers at this school do not communicate due to my personal experience. My child was there for 3 years and each year I had at least one teacher who failed to respond to emails, voicemails and hand written letters. One year, after receiving a scholarship warning, the teacher failed to respond to numerous efforts and I was forced to schedule a conference with the whole team. When I was finally allowed my 20 minute conference, report cards were already issued and I was told I needed to move past the non-response and focus on grade recovery. I found it difficult to move past, because had there been a response to multiple contacts on my part, a conference would not have been necessary. That line of reasoning fell on deaf ears and my thoughts were quickly dismissed. It is frustrating as a parent when we want to partner with teachers, seek their advice and make our children accountable, but it turns out to be one-sided.

Posted May 30, 2014
I have been a teacher at Fletcher Middle for 15 years and it is an excellent school. We have very high FCAT scores, vey few failures and fights are few and far between. I'm not sure why people post on here that teachers don't communicate - students' grades have available online for five years. If parents don't know how their children are doing its because they aren't checking. The majority of the teachers are very caring and work hard to provide a quality education. I consider it to be one of the best middle schools in the county.

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 1

Posted April 13, 2012
Poor curriculum. Predjudice against students with learning difficuties. Unable to process complaints or issues effectively. Never get to speak to the principal (he's always "in a meeting"). Continually rerouted to the staff that is the problem for sending my child out of the classroom for 5 days without even informing me. My child has been bullied there many times. Her friend got punched in the face there. Nothing was done to stop the bullying. My child does not receive a quality education there.

Posted June 06, 2011
There are many choices out there right now in choosing a school for your child....each bring their own positives and negatives. With that being said, I would like to commend the FMS principal for making such a positive impact on his staff and the students. He has managed to bring cohesiveness amongst the entire school which in turn is demonstrated through the positive attitudes in the students and the teachers. Granted, ALL schools have their issues (even the magnet schools believe it or not!) But, do they have a leader who will not stand for mediocracy? That is what makes FMS different we have a leader who will not settle for less than 100% effort from his staff and from the students. Do the other schools have a principal that goes out each and every morning to greet the students with a hand shake, high five or a "I am going to keep my eye's and ear's open today, stay out of trouble!" Our gifted program is led by elIte teachers in their field. We have a science teacher that could do 360's around any science teacher in town! A gifted math teacher who pours his heart and soul into making FMS the best it can be! Let the word get out that FMS is a FORCE to be RECKON with!!!

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 0

Posted December 28, 2009
I have the opportunity of having kids in all three schools on Seagate and 18th. The middle school while having problems is not the only one. The only way to get good education is to be an advocate for your child and be involved in the school, both PTA and committees, and activities. Only this ensures a better outcome when going to high school, which is a whole different ballgame. The education does need supplementation even in honors classes; Our children attend outside coursework to keep them competitive for college. Florida education system in general needs some serious review.

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 1

Posted December 22, 2009
My child has been ignored by the teachers at Fletcher Middle School. They were unresponsive when my daughter needed help or was having problems. I was shocked to see my daughters report card grades to have dropped to C's and D's when in elementary school she was making A's and B's. This just didn't make sense, and when I tried to talk with her teachers, they blamed it on my daughters 'learning disabilities' which of none she had. This infuriates me that the teachers do not try to help the students but instead give long lectures on how to behave which is obviously not helping because my daughter has seen many fights in her school, none of which she was involved in. My first child had gone to Mayport Middle School, which he had no problems at, and that is where I'll be sending my daughter now.

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 2

Posted October 02, 2009

Posted June 17, 2009
This school reaches past my standerds. It's an A+ school. It's achievment in helping kids learn and succeed, is beyond excellence. It has opened my eyes in how well their teachings are. I know my 3 kids love it there! Ever since they arrived at Fletcher in this year, They have done nothing but build cofidence and achive things on whole new levels, I never thought was possible! i am honored to say My kids will continue to stay at Fletcher for their 7th and 8th grade years!

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 4

Posted June 05, 2009
The teachers work extremely hard to help students be successful. Discipline, however, has been lax in recent years and the students have begun to run wild. It is still a great school with great students, overall and there are many opportunities for students to receive extra help when needed.

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School 3

Posted May 28, 2009
I am a student at fletcher school and I love it! all my friends go there and I have had a blast in sixth grade... there a little problem but they handled it all out.... I have to disagree on the teachers though most my teachers are pretty nice but Its not like im failing... like in math I started out with F's and D's and now my math grade is up to B's once I got used to the curriculm...

Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School
2000 3rd Street North, Jacksonville Beach, FL  32250
Last modified Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Duncan U. Fletcher Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top