San Pablo Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 585 students

Posted June 8, 2014

San Pablo is a wonderful place to raise children. The teachers are passionate and students are happy. Other commentors have stated that the principal enforced a no recess policy, when in fact that ruling came from the superintendent himself. I would highly reccomnend thus school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 16, 2014

As a parent with a child in 1st grade, and new to the area, we were excited to start the year at San Pablo. While the teachers are excellent, the office staff is often times rude and condescending. My son has had some recent health issues, and required to be taken out of school early on a FEW occasions. I take into account the time of day when scheduling his doctors visits and make the appointment as late in the day as possible. All of his appointments have been during his resources hour and not interfering with instruction time. I dread each encounter with the office staff who can usually be seen shoveling snacks in their mouths that accompany their rude remarks about the time of day. We are sad to say this will be our only year at San Pablo. There are plenty of schools just down the street that offer excellent teaching without the side of sarcasm. Ive heard this school used to be wonderful, and I am sad that we have missed the old spirit.

Posted March 23, 2014

This used to be a wonderful school, now I would advise parents considering San Pablo to steer clear. Last year major policy changes occurred with no notice to parents or the PTA. The teachers are still wonderful but the environment is very tense and it's not a happy place. San Pablo is supposed to be a Health and Fitness magnet school but when students returned this fall recess had been completely removed from the curriculum. They did add some back but it is ONLY 2x a week for KINDERGARTEN, 1x a week for 1-3rd grade and 4-5th grade has NO SCHEDULED RECESS AT ALL. The entire focus of this school has changed to testing, test scores, and test taking skills. Kids are anxious, teachers seem stressed and it feels more like a prison than a school.

Posted October 24, 2013

I agree with the reviewer who is disappointed with the new NO fitness rule. A few years ago I would have given this school 5+ stars. My 3 children attended San Pablo from k through 5th grade. They excelled physically and academically. Recently the new principal has implemented a No recess rule with the opportunity for parents to PAY for fitness programs AFTER school. This defeats the purpose of San Pablo being a PUBLIC health and fitness magnet. It also raises the question of which students they are targeting. I'd be surprised if the children from the poor neighborhood nearby are able to participate in the after school programs. Asking children to concentrate all day without unstructured play is unrealistic and unreasonable. It has been proven over and over again that physical activity promotes cognitive development and ability. San Pablo is setting many kids up for failure. This is unacceptable.

Posted September 19, 2013

Awesome school!!! The teachers and whole staff really helped me and my daughter turn around what started out as a disastrous year at another school completely around. Cannot say enough good things. Thank you San Pablo!

Posted August 20, 2013

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT THIS YEAR. My children have been attending SPE since K. They just started 3rd and 4th grade. So, needless to say, this is our 5th year here. WE LOVE the school and teachers. However, I'm very dissatisfied with a major change this year. No recess for 2nd-5th grade. This is a huge concern for me. This is a Health and Fitness magnet school. Not only does recess give the children a social outlet, it gives their growing body time to exert energy. All of the sports programs are offered AFTER school and parents are responsible for paying for these programs. With the exception of running club 1x per week. . I realize they added PE twice per week. However, I feel they are going to notice A LOT of behavior problems when the kids cannot get outside for at least 30 minutes per day to exercise. I feel this will be more noticeable in the Fall when the time changes and most kids get home after dark and cannot go outside at all. I really hope this decision is revisited with the well being of the children in mind as well.

Posted August 18, 2013

San Pablo is a health and fitness magnet. My daughter has attended Kindergarten through 3rd grade here. We love San Pablo! The teachers are excited to be there and it shows. They have wonderful playground equipment, a fitness trail, a garden, and they are constantly looking to add new sports during and after school. I love that they are building bright minds as well as helping my child with an active and healthy lifestyle. My daughter can be a bookworm but due to San Pablo introducing different sports she found that she loves tennis. Love, love, love San Pablo!

Posted August 5, 2013

This year, I will have 2 kids at this school. I have been very pleased with SPE. The fact that it has been an A school made it a great choice when my first one was entering kindergarten. My kids love to be outdoors and the magnet programs allow for that. I'm looking forward to another great year with SPE!

Posted August 4, 2013

I love San Pablo elem. As a parent I feel like I am always welcome at the school. The teachers are the best!

Posted August 3, 2013

I have a rising third grader and rising Kindegarteners this year entering San Pablo. I love the small school setting and the fact that everyone knows each other. The health and fitness magnet has truly been a healthy atmosphere. The kids have learned healthy foods to eat, learned new physical activities, and also work on the whole child.

Posted August 2, 2013

San Pablo Elementary is NE Florida's only Health and Fitness Magnet School. This means that the whole child (physical and academic) is developed - we have been an "A" school for 14 years in a row!! Along with our academic excellence, before and after school fitness programs such as tennis, Zumba, gymnastics, dance, running, etc. are offered. And Healthy Life Choices are incorporated into all regular academic classes. If this wasn't enough, the faculty and staff work to promote kindness and the family feeling at the school is unsurpassed!! There is lots of opportunity for parent involvement and the environment is warm and inviting. I can not say enough about San Pablo - The Energy of the Beaches!!

Posted August 2, 2013

I held my breath for MONTHS hoping my son would get into San Pablo Magnet Elementary!! Now, my Kindergartener completed his first year and is looking forward to first grade. This is his third school in three years and it is the BEST!!!!! I could not be any happier with the faculty and staff. I am very impressed with how approachable the principal is and how helpful the front office staff is. The teachers are dedicated and encourage you to come to the class and the parents are very involved which makes an incredible learning environment. My son loves all the Magnet Programs and I feel very lucky to be able to have my son at this school. I highly recommend this "A" school to every parent I speak to!!!

Posted August 2, 2013

San Pablo Elementary provides a warm and welcoming learning environment that strives for academic excellence while promoting the importance of health and fitness. My son has enjoyed the variety of before and after school magnet activities as well as the in school programs that promote the whole child (academics, fitness and health). Academic excellence is achieved at this school as it has been an "A" schools for 14 years straight. Parents are welcome to participate in the school and classrooms. The principal, teachers and staff are approachable and friendly. My family has been very pleased with our experience at San Pablo Elementary and would highly recommend this excellent school.

Posted June 5, 2012

My Kindergartener and 3rd grader are just completing their first year at San Pablo. We have been to three other schools in the past four years and this school is by far the best ever!! The teachers and principal are so caring and approachable. i feel comfortable to show up in either classroom at anytime. The teachers are always very informative and keep the parents up to date with school work and activities at all time. I couldn't be happier at this school. I have recommended this school to many people!!

Posted April 10, 2012

My daughter is currently enrolled in Kindergarten at San Pablo. About a month ago, she was inappropriately touch in the bathroom by a male classmate. The principal's reaction was to tell me that he was "trying to be her friend." When I told her I wanted to two children in separate classes, she was hesitant to comply. I had to call the Duval County School Board to get any kind of response out of her. Do your homework before sending your child to this school. Not all of the teachers "have the time" to really watch your children.

Posted May 19, 2010

San Pablo really cares about all of their students and truly takes pride in their success. It's a health and fitness magnet public school as well.

Posted May 13, 2010

My son is currently a Kindergartner at San Pablo and I am very pleased with his progress. The teachers, principal and staff are very accessible and friendly. The school has a laid-back feel to it which I like and high parent involvement. I attended this school as a child so I had high hopes that we made the right choice. So far so good!

Posted April 28, 2010

My daughter is a kindergartener at San Pablo this year and has come a long way. You can tell the teachers are happy to be there and create a positive experience. The principle, Mrs. Graham, is also very involved with the school. We are looking forward to more years at San Pablo and are very happy to have gotten into this magnet school.

Posted September 24, 2009

This is a WONDERFUL school my son went from K-5 and now is excelling at Fletcher Middle and I think San Pablo Elementary for the great foundation they gave him...

Posted June 13, 2009

I absolutely love this school. I went here and now my son goes here. The staff is just wonderful and they care alot about their children.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

801 18th Avenue North