Holiday Hill Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 635 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

Our school is Holiday Hill Elementary. Three generations of our family have attended there. My brother in law, my five children and now three grand-daughters are currently attending. The teachers are dedicated and work hard. Classes could be better if smaller but that is finances. The school is a good place "to bloom where you are planted". The current principal works hard and there is a lot of parental involvement. C. Palmer

Posted March 24, 2014

Holiday Hill used to be a good school. But over the past 4 years there has been 4 principals. The FCAT scores are going down and now it has gone from bad to worst with the new principal and vice principal. They consistently play the "race card" and favor one group over another. They allow bullying and refuse to step in. But they themselves bully the teachers and staff. Many good teachers and students are leaving.

Posted March 23, 2014

I am a parent of a third grader. I started my child here in kindergarten under a magnet placement. My colleagues children attended this school. But things do not always stay the same. This school is on a steady decline. Even with new leadership. You get a clear feeling the teachers are not on board with the new curriculum. My child comes home confused. Something radical needs to happen here. I thought I was sending my child to a place with a proven track record for success not failure.

Posted May 8, 2012

This use to be a good school. This year the school is terrible. For the ESE kids they are mis treated and not given a fair chance. The principle says she care but she really don't. No matter how much the parent is involved in the school they still mis treat the kids in the ESE wings. The principle don't tell the truth and so does the teachers. They don't want to see these kids succeed or be something. I will not recommed this school to anyone if it is dealing with ESE kids.

Posted February 16, 2011

beast school best i ever went to i spent 4 years there inside a neighborhood very very very beast

Posted April 27, 2010

Our school is great because it still allows for resources that are a very important part of a childs life. Art, Music, Media, and especially PE give the children an outlet during school and let them explore their creative side.

Posted October 20, 2009

I love Holiday Hill Faculty/Staff because they share positiveness with our children and parents. They enjoy being at work daily and teaching and guiding our children.

Posted October 20, 2009

Very family oriented school - everything is what's best for the students teachers are great - principal is involved with the students - great front office staff - can't say enough goodness about this school

Posted October 20, 2009

Holiday Hill is a fantastic school where family values are very important. The teachers and staff are so excited and truly involved and interested helping the students achieve success.

Posted October 20, 2009

HolidaY Hill Elementary School has the best programs that I've ever seen or heard of!! The multi-cultral fairs that they have are awesome and they put so much work into them. The teachers and staff members are excellant and really take pride in their students. I am very proud to say that my grandchildren are students there! The multi-cultral fair that they're having this year is based on Africa and is sure to please everyone involved. Good luck and God Bless!

Posted September 17, 2008

I agree with the post 2/27/07, Holiday Hill is by all means a wonderful school if your child is able to keep the A+ rating going. My child is a good student however she is struggling in a particular subject. The support and advice is horrible. The attitude is very uncaring with no suggestions. I happen to not be able to afford a private tutor but I would like for my child to do well, so what is a parent to do?

Posted June 7, 2008

This school is an amazing school. I have had three children go to that school and they loved it so much they wish they would make a middle and high school for holiday hill. They teachers and staff is amazing. The new principal is amazing too. I love this school and so do my kids.

Posted May 15, 2008

My son attended Holiday Hill Elementary K-4 and I thought I was upgrading him to send him to Arlington Country Day for fifth. Mid-year I re-enrolled him in Holiday Hill and am more pleased than ever!! The new Principal this year has made a world of difference with the Teachers, Students, and Parents, alike!! When children are eager to get to school and enjoy being challenged, there are truly some great leaders paving the way to excellence!

Posted August 22, 2007

I think the reason for the turnover at Holiday Hill was the principal. We got a new one this year! I think the 2007-2008 academic year will be a fantastic one. I spoke to my daughters teacher and asked about the new principal and she said it was a Great change! I think this year will be awesome. Good Principal= Happy teachers=Happy students!

Posted July 18, 2007

Holiday Hill is one of the best schools in Jacksonville. I hand selected this school for my son and am very pleased. My son loves going to school each day. The teachers are great and interact with the parents daily. One of my close friends who has a daughter with a learning disability received tremendous support from her teachers as well as the staff. This was her first year at holiday hill after transfering from a priviate school. They worked with her on a daily basis and promoted her success. A++++++++++++ school.

Posted February 27, 2007

I was a major fan of Holiday Hill for many years when my son was one of the top in his class however, now with my youngest child who needs extra help and is struggling, help is just not there. The teacher does not seem to care. They only seem to care about the children who can earn them their A each year. My husband and I have sought outside help at great expense to assure she succeeds, not every parent can afford this so my advice would be if your child is very bright.... come, and if they are not A-B students I would find another school!

Posted September 7, 2006

I have had children attending Holiday Hill for the past 5 years. The past 2 years I have seen tremendous turnover in teachers which alarms me. The teachers there are EXCELLENT, but what is happening is that they are not Staying. I think staff turnover the past 2 years have been 35%. This is not good for our children or the school. There is a reason for this and I think we as parents need to be concerned. Some who have left were 'model teachers' and had been at Holiday Hill for years. There are still Model Teachers there and I think that we need to do all we can to keep them there. My kids will be gone from the school soon, but I urge people to look at the statistics offered by The School Board yearly. This may answer alot of questions.

Posted February 5, 2006

Nice school with nice people.

Posted January 23, 2006

Excellent Gifted Program. I wish my child could go to this 5 days a week. What a wonderful teacher!

Posted January 21, 2006

Holiday Hill is a great school for reading but they need to focus more on math. Also, the parental involvement is terrible but mostly because the PTA board does not properly utilize their volunteers.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

103 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 2% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6900 Altama Rd