Southside Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 716 students

Posted April 30, 2010

I currently attend SMS and things are different. We take books home and depending on who your teacher is then you wiil get assigned homework. I'm in 7th grade and have been at Southside since 6th.they have new administation and Mr.Emery (former 8th grade administation) is now vice principal :0 There have been less fights and we are wayy better than last year!!! This school is not 5 stars yet but getting there AKXL RIAS

Posted March 12, 2010

My child atteneded Southside and I will forever regret it!!!! Now that he is in high school he is failing. Why?? Southside does nothing to instill any kind of study habits in the kids. Why?? Because they don't have homework because they have to keep the books at school. I can count on both hands the number of nights in 3 years that my son had homework!!! Absolutely ridiculous!!!!!! The teachers spend more time reporting kids for the stupidest things instead of dealing with them and moving on to teach class. The spanish teacher spent more time showing movies or throwing chairs in class than actually teaching class!! An absolute F school in my opinion.

Posted March 11, 2010

I attended Southside Middle School for 6-8th Grade. Most Teachers are Great there are the handfull that act like the kids. The Administration at this school are Great they put a stop to things. Always willing to help! The only bad thing was in 8th Grade they say that they were preparing you for High school but the truth was that now im failing classes because the teachers that i had were treating you like 4th graders (Letting us keep our books in class ect. ). Otherwise GREAT School!!!!

Posted March 25, 2009

I have several children who have attended this school and it has progressively gone down hill. Some students make life a living hell for others yet nothing gets done by administration. They seem more concerned about preserving the schools reputation than they do about the students who are victims of the violence.

Posted December 24, 2008

To much vilolence and the school administrators are not well affecting the students rule breaking not alot is done..

Posted December 18, 2008

I have not been impressed at all with this school. I have not received answers to questions I asked over 2 months ago and I feel that my child and I are being ignored. My child made good grades last year at another school but I feel this year is going to be a struggle and it certainly isn't because he isn't intelligent. The Magnet schools have proven (in my experience) to be FAR superior in terms of parent/teacher involvement and attention given to the child.

Posted November 15, 2008

To many changes in personnel since 2006. This causes the school's climate to be unstable and not be a productive learning community.

Posted November 15, 2008

The turnover rate in faculty and staff during the current administration's time at Southside is astronomical. From the head custodian, to the principal's secretary (4 of them), to numerous teachers, guidance counselors, and other staff members, Southside Middle School has lost valuable assets to, what once was, a wonderful place to teach. There are a great deal of folks who 'bled black & gold' for years, who have opted to move on by early retirement, transfering, or changing careers due to the demolition of the now forgotten, Knight culture.

Posted November 14, 2008

I have been going to this school now for about 2 years me personal I don't think this is a very safe school and also I think that they can do more to make it safe.

Posted May 6, 2008

Faculty turnover rate is insane. No discipline. Administration focuses on only what will improve FCAT scores, not students intellectual development and becoming responsible high schoolers. Also, limited resources for new teachers and some classrooms. Really there is just too much to mention. Administration assigns administrative duties to regular teachers. Too much hear-say, no open communication between principal and staff.

Posted November 26, 2007

this school is great. My child has kearned alot since she has been there, and she loves it. Teachers are friendly and nice.

Posted November 26, 2007

awsome is all i can say my cild loves it there. and im happy as well.

Posted November 7, 2007

I went to southside for 2 1/2 years and I think its one of the best schools in Jacksonville. southside teachers and staff put the all students before themselves and try their best to help them in anything they can. I really believe that school and the academic levels are fair in everyway. the administrators are thoughtful and if I could go back I would... I really miss southside and I think it is a good school

Posted October 25, 2007

I as a student here at southside middle that all teacher do not treat students equally as they should be. Ihave been attending this school for 2 years also there is 2 much violence used at this school(October25.07)

Posted February 24, 2007

Since my son has been at this school, all I hear from my son is how this teacher scares the kids into respeacting him but the kids dont. he has targeted my son & a friend of his and I went and had a conference with that teacher and principal. and no problems have occured since that. He has gone from standard to advanced and grades have come up, but no homework or books brought home. I went through alot of red tape to get him to this school thats out of the district. This school needs help or close it. Get more qualified 'teachers'.

Posted September 19, 2006

I am a 6th Grade Student at Southside Middle School, And this is my 6th week. My Teachers are very friendly, Kind, And understanding. If I do not get something, They are more than happy to help. Vice principle howard and Principle Hasty are also Very kind. And My Coach, Doesnt just have us learn the sport - He Tells us how it evolved Etc. You Can tell that the teachers there are there to teach - Not just to get a paycheck. Overall, I think this school is a Excellent school. Knights rule!

Posted May 5, 2006

This school is great! The teachers are friendly. Overall good experiance.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 27, 2005

Southside Middle School I think is a joke, my son went to school there and didnt really learn anything. The teachers are trying to get through the day with any trouble from the kids. I think the kids run that school, not the adults. I got involved as much as I could, it was like hitting my head on a brick way sometimes.

Posted July 25, 2005

this school is cool i love it here i feel as though i am part of a little community

Posted January 29, 2004

My daughter and I moved here from Ohio and I feel that the staff here at this school made her feel right at home and they have helped her in so many ways to acheive her goals to improve her grades. I feel good knowing that my daughter is going to such a remarkable school so that she can learn with pride.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

223 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

268 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

251 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

262 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

259 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

252 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

253 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

313 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

• MS. ZEINA KHANACHET
Fax number
  • (904) 739-5244

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now