Jefferson Davis Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1050 students

Posted February 22, 2014

This school is among the worst of any in duval county. Bullying is not taking serious. The teachers are COWARDS as well as the administration. The staff from the top to the bottom are only interested in collecting a check and not about the well being of the students. Couldn't get my child out of there faster enough!

Posted July 28, 2013

Its funny they have great teacher and great programs for all students. If you have any problems with students bullying or being mean you tell a teacher and the teacher will help write away. Well that's all I have to say about Jefferson Davis Middle School

Posted February 21, 2013

The faculty and staff in the Cambridge program at Jefferson Davis Middle school are wonderful! My son is currently in the 8th grade Cambridge program and we couldn't be happier with his experience.

Posted February 16, 2013

My daughter is currently enrolled in the Cambridge Program. She first started in the AVID program but during her 8th grade she was picked to enter into the Cambridge program. My daughter has learned so much in these programs. She is in advanced courses such as Geometry and Trigonmometry and shes only an 8 th grader..very impressive to us. She is also apart of the NJHS and she has excelled very well. Over the Jefferson Middle School has been a great experience for her..my husband and I were skeptical in her attending this neighborhood school since it had a bad reputation but the school is nothing that we heard. The teachers their are very kind, helpful and very supportive with the children. Overall a great experience for her and us...Highly recommend this school.

Posted February 15, 2013

My son is a student in the Cambridge program and we love the school! The teachers, principal and vice principals really care about the success of the students and go to great lengths to ensure they succeed. They also do a great job keeping parents involved.

Posted February 14, 2013

My son is currently in the AVID/Cambridge program. I am very pleased with the great leadership in that program. I see a true caring for the kids from the coordinator and the teachers. They are all doing a wonderful job of preparing the students for high school, college, and life :)

Posted February 14, 2013

We shared with the principal at one point, that Jefferson Davis Middle School was not our first choice for our son. I had heard rumors about how rough a school JDMS was. Our experience proves that one should not listen to such rumors and should get the facts straight for themselves. Once we attended the Open House we felt a little better. We just decided to make the best of what we thought was a mediocre school. We found out about all the available opportunities and our son was accepted into AVID and later the Cambridge Program where he's excelled! He was called by the magnet program for an opening. We researched it, talked to him about it, but by that time, we were all so excited and anticipatory about attending JDMS that we turned it down! When we attended Open House we're so pleased with our son s teachers. So far, his and our experience has been positive and we look forward to the rest of his time at JDMS! We know their jobs as educators are not easy because they are so much more than that and we thank you, again, for your career choices and dedication to the students.

Posted February 14, 2013

My son is currently an 8th grade student in the Cambridge Program. From the moment the program was introduced to him, I saw the positive attitude change and the shift in pride for his middle school. There was something to respect, not just about himself for being selected, but his neighborhood school now stood out in a positive way. He has been very pleased with his Cambridge teachers and their curriculum and so have I. He continues to keep an ever popular outlook about his future and I attribute a lot of that to the Jefferson Davis Middle School Cambridge Program!!!!

Posted June 6, 2011

My son currently attends this school as a 6th grader, and i am currently looking to enroll him in another next year. The environment at this school is awful and my son constantly complains of bullying and feeling unsafe. He wants to attend another school. While my son attends all advance classes, i was shock to see how little the teacher cared. The school is poor about updating the grading portal and when asked about teaching plans and grades, they are act like you are questioning there ability to teach. I would not recommend this school to anyway. Then again, if you live in the zone, your choices are limited.

Posted November 10, 2010

The teachers seem to have minimal interest in the students. They never return phone calls, they ignore you when you walk into the building. If the children aren't doing well in their class, they seem to think it's not their problem. Many times I have come to pick my children up early for doctor's appointments and the like, and the staff simply allows the children to come with me, without even asking who I am, checking a list, or asking for ID. There are fights and bullying everyday. My children complain they don't feel safe, and the teachers don't care about them.

Posted August 24, 2010

I was a student at jd for 3 years and i would not recommend that anyone attend this school. Not only is the staff very uncoaporative and not in the best intrest for the students but the students themselves do not have the best interest and i am from that area so i do blame the area its the faculty i blame.

Posted April 28, 2010

I attended this school as a kid and trully believe given the neighborhood that this school could use the money to buy new books, provide adequate air conditioning and cleaner hallways. I love the school staff. They really care for the children.

Posted February 22, 2010

Thiss year i dont like the structered movement! it made me change schools for my child

Posted December 2, 2009

I used to go to JD from sixth to eighth grade,the teachers aren't so bad,but it really depends on whether or not the child stays out of the wrong crowd.I stayed with people that only wanted the best for me. When I went there Davis was the principal and he knew just how to keep us in line but still keep the environment pretty good. It's really just the head of grades principals, like the seventh grade head.

Posted November 18, 2009

we have wonderfull teacherz {most of them}

Posted August 19, 2009

it is the the best school for chilldern and better if u have a african american child want to be a dotor or scientist this school has a 97 grade
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 13, 2009

this school is really great. yes there are fight but there are going to be fights at every school. the teachers are wonderful. they help us students in so many ways

Posted June 9, 2009

my 2 children went here, this school is horrible, teacher communication is awful, fights almost everyday, there is no stability, they have to share their text books, don't have enough so my children can bring them home and study. its rediculous. they will not be there next year..

Posted May 12, 2009

my skool is the best and i make good grades with with the class i'm in so the duval county should give them a rise and their eletive class are a real lesson 4 me . But i wish for us to get out earlyer than 4:15 most likly 2 and go in at 6 in the moring like balwind middle/ high

Posted March 7, 2009

i love jd cuz it is fun and i especially love ms andrews and mrs daniels cuz they teach me alot.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

316 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

319 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

383 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

384 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

349 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

348 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

344 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

341 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

357 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

33 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 7%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
Performing and written arts
  • Drama

• MS. SHILENE SINGLETON
Fax number
  • (904) 573-1066

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options