860 students|Duval

Bad
Good

This school was on the right track until it became a Military Academy Of Leadership. Both of my son's did very well until this change which I admit we opted in for. Now my 8th grader has learned nothing except science packets and uniform checks. The school needs to get back to actually teaching and stop worrying so much about the color of socks! Aside from about 5 very good teachers this is not a place to send your child if you want them to learn. They still walk in lines with line leaders and next year are expected to find their way around a high school campus. This has been a wasted year!

This has been a great year at Stilwell! The entire administrative staff is dedicated to supporting the academic climate. They are always out in the hallways and in classrooms, making sure that students and teachers have what they need to be successful. There is no better school on the westside. With structured movement, dedicated teachers and staff and a majority of our parents who care, you need to see Stilwell again with new eyes! Come by and ask our principal, Mr. Bloom, for a peek. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bullying is downright rampant at this school. Someone I know was bullied all the time here and no one has any sense to do a thing about it.

I'm a student at Joseph Stilwell and our principle is improving we arent that bad so you should think about Joseph stilwell

No to impressed with this school. They do nothng to solve their problem with fights. very text book procedures. No one going above to care or solve any problems. I wish nothing more than to get my son out of that school.

New leadership...new school. Thank you for sending a real principal who cares about the safety and success of teachers and students!

Keep something in mind; out of the hundreds and hundreds of students to attend this school each year, there are only a small handful of comments. The people who come online to post comments about school such as Stillwell are ones who feel they have a bone to pick, or a need. In many larger cities, some inner city schools receive hundreds of negative comments per year. Stillwell is an average school. Troublemakers will find trouble, bullies will bully, and the week and timid will still be picked on. This is a recurring theme in all American public schools, not just this one. The racial ratio is nearly even at Stillwell, and there have been very few serious incidents over the years. There really isn't a better public middle school on the West side of Jacksonville. If you still fear for your child's safety, home school them, put them in private school, or move. That pretty much summarizes your options.i

Well I was a student from Stilwell I am now goin to highschool but Stilwell is not a bad school we have some bad students like every other school in duval county stilwell does not have drug activity and there is no bullies at our school almost everyone get along with each other but like every other school there our fights but only a few fights but if your child can stay focus and out of drama then they can go to do this school or any other school

Poorly manged School in dire need of attention. Onging apathy towards parents, teachers, and children. Needs better leadership and organization.

I'm a substitute teacher and I've had the displeasure of working at Stilwell several times. I'm not sure where to begin. The administration is a joke. They refuse to back up their regular staff, let alone temporary staff members like myself. The students are retched little monsters. Their in-class behavior is atrocious. The lesson plans left for me were a joke. Watch a video, listen to a CD player read your history textbook to you, sit there and do nothing while an assistant tells about his glory days. I've had harder assignments in my elementary school classes. Before you put your child in Stilwell, take a good look around to see if you can find a better school.

Last modified Joseph Stilwell Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.