Samuel W. Wolfson High School

Public | 9-12 | 1398 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 3, 2014

I attended Wolfson my junior year in 2012, but chose to finish high school elsewhere. I didn't feel challenged enough academically at Wolfson. Although I felt like most of my teachers taught me well; a few were downright terrible. I remember one of my teachers not grading any of my work until right before the semester ended; she was scrambling to get everyone's work graded! With students attending from all over the city, Wolfson was very diverse. A large percentage of the students were foreign. However, the downfall of this was that the students hung out in cliques/with their own demographics, so it was hard at first to make friends. Wolfson had some really creative/intelligent students. One thing I noticed was that I never had seen anyone being bullied at Wolfson; but of course I ve seen plenty of fights here. I never had any problems with guidance. Students in the finance academy operated a VyStar bank branch, so you could withdraw/deposit money during lunch! While Wolfson was nowhere near perfect when I attended, I think Wolfson is great if you hang with the right crowd and apply yourself.

Posted September 9, 2013

Well almost a month into the year and my son loves it!! Teachers are great and very helpful. I have rerad some things on here that really sccared me about this school but I've got to say maybe some of you just need to look at your kids and how you parent them maybe some of the isuess you complain about wouldn't have happened. If you have a prob with this school its more than likely its because the school won't put up with your unruly child and they are there to teach not babysit.

Posted September 10, 2012

This is my sons first year at wolfson and he hates it. I tried to convince him that it might not be so bad of a school, but I'm seeing otherwise. The school is ghetto, some of the students needs discipline, the teachers are very hard on the students. My son wasn't in school two weeks and he started receiving F's. He's always excelled in other Schools. I'm really worried for him.

Posted June 6, 2012

Wolfson is the worst school that I have ever had to deal with. My grandson's guidance counselor would not return my phone calls. It was only after I said that I would come to Wolfson and sit and wait until she would talk with me that I got her on the phone. There is no discipline and the teachers can not teach their classes for the disruption of certain groups. When these certain people are sent to the office, they just return the next day back to class. Those who want to learn can not because of the lack of respect from certain groups and the fact the hands of the teachers are tied to do anything with them. In my day this would not be tolerated and respect was expected by all. I am so glad that my grandson is out of this school. I feel sorry for those left and their parents.

Posted March 27, 2012

I came here last year (10-11) from VA, and this school was a big change, however I like it. The school isn't really a bad school, but by no means is it a good school either. I've heard A LOT worse about the other high schools in Jax. I've heard on several occasions that the school has improved academically and disciplinary. With that being said, I still feel like I'm not getting challenged enough academically. Most of my teachers care about the students, the others not so much. Teachers seemed burnt out and somewhat scared to discipline their students, I would be too though. The administration and security are a joke. At first, they only enforced the rules when the school board officials are here. They are tightening down a lot though. Honestly, like any other teenager, I've grown accustom to the enjoy the "freedom" of doing what I please. I love the diverse student body. Overall I give Wolfson a 3/5. Proud to be part of the Wolfpack.

Posted February 12, 2012

this school is amazing! the staff is very friendly, the foreigners are also friendly. i am in here as a freshman and i hope to be here for 3 and a half more!

Posted December 7, 2011

I attended Wolfson for a short period of time. I graduated in three years and I will admit there are some teachers that don't give a care about how the students do, but there are a lot of them that if the student shows that they are trying they will help. You have to help yourself before others can help. I had an amazing Dean that I had from freshman year till I graduated, he followed me from Forrest or so I'd like to say. He is very dedicated to the students he makes sure the kids are on track as best he can and tries to get them to see that in life they will need everything

Posted December 7, 2010

Every time I try and get information in regards to my daughter no one ever can give me an answer but when i walk in the school they want to give u a had time and give on top still give me the run around.. this is is the worst in support for the students and parents .. my daughter will not be going to this school next and i would NEVER recommend any ones child to this school..

Posted November 8, 2010

This school was going steady downhill with Mr. Gracy, but with Dr. Gardner here, I'm seeing an improvement. Almost ALL of the high schools in Duval County seem to have issues. First look at the students the schools are dealing with before grilling the schools for students issues (being disrepectful, skipping, smoking, etc.).

Posted September 28, 2010

WOW I so agree with this parent. I was trying to schedule a parent teacher Conference, however none of the teachers nor guidance personal would call you back. Its very sad when you have to contact the principle to set up an parent teacher conference.

Posted May 6, 2010

The rating of Wolfson can really only count through the eyes of the boholder... like any other situation in life, it's simply what you make of it. I will graduate Wolfson this year in the top 10 % of my class and I adore it there. I'm in ap classes and I'm involved.. I treat teachers with respect, and they return the favor. Wolfson could be a great school, the students just have to make the choice of what they want their education to be like.. Wolfson's faculty is trying so hard and they are great at what they do!

Posted June 1, 2009

Most teachers are their for the kids it troubles me when they are not and take it out on the kids

Posted May 27, 2009

My biggest complaint is having some of the teachers call you back. You must be an aggressive parent that stays on top of things.

Posted April 9, 2009

This school is completely disorganized. But the classes and teachers are dedicated to the Students

Posted April 2, 2009

My daughter has matured and excelled at Wolfson in the Avid program!

Posted February 23, 2009

I think Wolfson is poorly managed. The teachers are not accountable. It's Ghetto.

Posted January 15, 2009

Graduating from Wolfson in 1 of the baddest claases ever (04') was kind of rough... but overall Wolfson was a great school! Granted some of the teachers are not as dedicated as others but the percentage is definately awarded to the good ones. Wolfson did prepare me for the 'real world' and I'm highly greatful for that! I wouldn't have picked another school over it and if I could I'd go back!!

Posted October 14, 2008

I am a parent and I found it quite disturbing everytime I call the guidance, no one is available and no one returns your calls. Also, my daughter is a freshman and the 1st grading period is almost over and she has only taken one test in Algebra. She does not appear to be learning. I was also surprised to find out that if my daughter participates in a teaching session she will receive and automatic A in her Algebra class which she now has a D average in. What is going on here. Is this teaching or just letting the students pass by. This will only hurt the students when they pursue college educations.

Posted October 11, 2008

Wolfson is a good school, actually. I'm a freshman, so I didn't know what to expect. I'm fortunate that none of the seniors are picking on the freshmen. Overall, this school rocks! Send your kids here, and they'll learn alot!

Posted October 10, 2008

This school is horrible. We have a few fantastic teachers, but the others are completely inept. I've had several classes that I never learned a thing in.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

336 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

387 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

310 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 3% 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options