No rating

Merrill Road Elementary School

Public | K-2 | 687 students

Posted June 25, 2014

Merrill Road has been a wonderful place and allowed my daughter to grow into a great student! Her kindergarten teacher worked with us and was very good with communication. I love the security, everyone in the front office is great, after school care is awesome. They make you feel welcome and like you and your child matter! We look forward to this upcoming year! She has learned so much already.

Posted April 17, 2014

My school is awesome. Great teachers, staff and administration. You will feel comfortable and excited that your child is getting a quality education and experience.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 25, 2014

Dear "A Parent," Please contact me personally at the school so that I can address your posted concerns. We most definitely pride ourselves on the child-centered environment we create, and it seems that this has not been your experience. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you and ensure your concerns are addressed immediately. Sincerely, Jennifer Gray, Principal (904) 745-4919
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 24, 2014

Are you seeking a school that emphasizes creative inquiry and builds critical thinking skills, generating true enthusiasm in students? So am I...sadly Merrill Road is not it. Good aspects include tight security (lots of gates and locks), and a caring attitude toward children by most staff. Low points include requiring students to march around "mustang fashion" and ladies in the lunchroom that yell at kids to be quiet. Good preparation for standardized testing! Yippee! My son loved his preschool but hates it at Merrill Road. We are looking for other options.

Posted February 20, 2014

As one who knows Ms. Gray well and shares her passion for excellence in education, I can't imagine her not taking a classroom or learning issue seriously. Rarely have I seen a person with such a passion for education and well-being of students. Also, I have to question the legitimacy of the post made on 2/26/2014 as the observations documented would be extremely unusual for a typical parent to observe unless they were at the school on an ongoing basis, during school hours to see firsthand how the people mentioned function and perform their roles. How would a typical parent know that for the school counselor, you 'never see her outside of her office'? Or that the Assistant Principal functions as a 'warden'? Your posts reveals that you work at the school (or did) and/or you re unhappy with the outcome of a situation. If you had a problem with the school and did not get the outcome you expected, then I encourage you to contact Ms. Gray directly, but please be honest about your intentions, observations and experiences. Making unfounded generalizations doesn t help anyone. .

Posted February 19, 2014

Merrill Road Elementary was not "a good place to grow" for my child. My child attended MRE for K-2. I gave a one star only because my child had one outstanding classroom teacher at MRE during that time.. There are some other very outstanding teachers at MRE but they are over shadowed by a principal who does not address any issues. She leaves parents and teachers to deal with the problems. She gives the teacher(s) the key at the beginning of the year. IF you are lucky enough to get a good teacher then you should have no problems. IF NOT don't look for any help through the principal. She is an ineffective leader. The vice principal, aka, warden is just that. Any problem is, even if it isn't, is dealt with as a behavioral problem. The guidance counselor is equally disappointing.You will never see her outside of her office. My child is currently receiving services in a new school that was facilitated by the new school counselor. My child lost an entire academic year in reading because of a very unqualified teacher. I complained but nothing was done. MRE is overcrowded. I wonder if some of these students are actually "from the neighborhood."

Posted February 22, 2013

My child's experience at kindergarten level was great - due to the teacher. First grade level was ok. I initially had concerns about 3rd grade teachers, noticing their behavior here and there. My instinct was correct. Teachers were unmotivated, disorganised, and unprofessional. There was a severe lack of communication. It was not until I received my child's report card that I knew grades were falling. There had been less and less parental involvement at the school it seemed. And as you looked around the staff appeared unhappy. My child hated this school and cried about it.

Posted August 31, 2011

A wonderful school for both of my daughters. The staff all around is kind. The teachers are fantastic. My youngest attended thier Pre-K ESE program for two years and is now fully intergrated. She now attends first grade. Thanks to all the hard work of her Teacher Mrs. George and her fabulous teacher assistants...and the amazing Speech Therapy staff. The school as a whole, offers a family atmosphere. Both of my daughters adore thier school, as do my husband and I.

Posted August 30, 2011

This school was ok. Overcrowded, and teachers had too many kids. Nothing exceptional about it. Very average. My child was bullied a lot. Not impressed!

Posted May 25, 2011

Merrill Road Elementary has been Awesome for my daughter, Ms. Miller Is Abbigails Kindegarten teacher and we Love her, Abbigail was already smart [she went to FCBA for pre K] But I see a huge improvement she has learned so much this year. Parents need to help at home for any school to work! All the homework is a little shocking for a 5 year old but I am thankful for the instruction from Ms. Miller. Alot more is expected from our children than ever before. Thank you Merrill rd. & Ms.Miller

Posted March 21, 2011

I loved Merrill Road Elementary!!!! My son had a wonderful experience there and I'm glad we bought our house so that he could attend this school. Its one of the better schools in Arlington. The principal and teachers were wonderful. The facility is clean and organized. I'm looking forward to when my next child goes there.

Posted June 18, 2010

My son was in Kindegarten last year at Merrill Road and he excelled in all areas. But he did not do well this year and did not like (pretty much HATE) his 1st Grade teacher Mrs. Rice & Mrs. Lenhart. They had their favorites and they were are very labelling type of person. I had to pulled him out of this school. I rate them an F teachers!

Posted June 15, 2009

Merrill Road is a good place to grow. We had a good experience with Merrill Road even if some teachers are so young some time they lack experience. The principal do what she can to control them but it is sometimes hard even for her!

Posted November 1, 2007

I currently have two children at Merrill Rd Elementary and they are doing well. I am impressed with the great foundation they received in Kindergarten and now in first grade they can build on this foundation. Parental involvement is very important for the positive development of the child. I can see the difference in children who have this involvement and unfortunately those who lack it. Music, art and PE, science, computer lab, library are fun as well as educational for the kids. They all love it and they like their resource teachers. PTA is doing a great job too. What a great place to grow!

Posted September 22, 2007

I have two kids in Merrill Road and I am a past student as well. I have had my children in a private Kindergarten and Pre-K program and by far Merrill Road has exceeded what the private school did for my kids. I have had the best help with placement for my son. I love that a lot of the teachers bounce between 2 grades. It really helps the students like my son stay with a teacher that knows his strengths and weaknesses. My daughter has also been moved to another class due to her strengths. Overall I just love the school and wish it was K-12. Great job Merrill Road!!!!

Posted September 19, 2007

This is My Daughters first year in a public school and I was very iffy about putting her in, being that the bible will be taken out of her in-school teaching. The Christian academy she was in was top notch, but I feel the education here is beyond that. She has progressed far beyond what I thought she would. Her Teacher is great with Communicating to me on a daily basis. I am very happy with this school and all the elements that are key tools to great education for my child. I must say 'Merrill Road is a Great Place to Grow'

Posted August 28, 2007

Not very happy with the school, Teachers wait to long to tell parents about child needs to improve. They let parents know when is almost too late to do something about.

Posted August 8, 2007

This past year was my daughters first year at Merrill Rd. and we both thought it was great! I love the principal, vice principal and her teacher was outstanding! I also like that it is only K-2. I think it is a wonderful school!
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted April 19, 2007

This school is horrible! Bad, to many issues and the teachers babysat instead of teaching I rate this school an F!

Posted December 6, 2006

I am on the fence about this school. I have 2 children there...one with a learning disability and one who is excelling exceptionally well. My children have been there for 3 yrs and this is the 1st year that I have been truly unhappy with their teachers.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8239 Merrill Road