Sandalwood High School

Public | 9-12 | 2978 students

Posted June 16, 2008

I am a student currently attending and entering my senior year. With the three years I've been attending here, I must say I love it. Sandalwood is a pretty good school. The best way to make sure your child has a good education there is to make sure they have good teacher (meet them). Also joining the AVID program or ROTC is a good idea.

Posted June 1, 2008

I have gone to Sandalwood all of my high school life and i am now a senior. I am also in AFJROTC and i am one of the main leaders in the corps. I believe JROTC in Sandalwood is a thing that all students should participate in. When we hear about the bad reviews on Sandalwood we cringe and move on. But we need to understand that all schools have their trouble makers. Sandalwood's an amazing school. It is so diverse!!!

Posted March 29, 2008

I'm a senior at Sandalwood High School (Class of 2008). I have attended Sandalwood for my whole high school career. The school is very crowded. The size does affect the learning teachers are more of baby sitters then educucators. They spend most of class trying to get order. The work is just to keep students busy. I can honestly say i have only had one goodtwo good teachers my whokle thime there.

Posted February 16, 2008

I have read a lot of the reviews and am happy to see that most people get over the stories they hear. My son is a freshman this year, in the AP classes and JRAFROTC program, he loves it. I read one parent say that deans, guidance etc were hard to get in touch with. I call nonsense on that, i have called and emailed each of his teachers often, they always respond, as does the guidance office, if you want your child to succeed you have to put forth effort as does the child. Sandalwood is a great school, I am happy that my kid is enjoying his time there

Posted January 18, 2008

I went to Sandalwood and I loved it! I am a junior and I recently moved but I would do anything to be back there. I had great teachers and it was always a good experience.

Posted November 24, 2007

This school is great and fun. Great programs and people. Sandalwood High School is a great school.

Posted November 4, 2007

I'm a junior at Sandalwood High School and I take 4 AP classes. The teachers are great and the student body is much more diverse than any other school in Jacksonville, which, I believe, makes it the best school in Jacksonville. The classes are much more rigorous than in Stanton or Paxon because Sandalwood puts a lot of emphasis on the AP classes it has, whereas the other College Preparatory schools have so many AP courses that they don't put enough attention into improving each individual AP class. I don't know about the standard classes, because I have never taken any, but the Honors and AP program at Sandalwood are the best; top notch! And the horrible repute that Sandalwood has had for so long is mendacious, because of the neighborhood it's in. The administrators are very nice and helpful; they're like friends to the students.

Posted October 3, 2007

sandalwood has got to be the best school in the world its decenet and clean and fun and exciting the teachers are great as well as the deans.

Posted September 28, 2007

My son entered the 9th grade this year at Sandlewood High School. My husband and I battled with whether we should let him attend this school or a private/magnet school. He insisted on Sandalwood for the great football team they have as he is an athlete. Once we received a letter inviting him to the Avid Program, we knew it would be a fine school. He is doing very well and I volunteer in the Avid program. We have met all his teachers and they are fine teachers. If your child is focused and you stay involved in his education and school...Sandlewood is a fine choice. There is good and bad in any school, and it really come down to what you preach in the home and your willingness as a parent to support the school and your child. Kudos to Sandlwood and it's staff.

Posted September 28, 2007

My daughter was going through a great deal of pain when she first started Sandlewood and the staff has and continue to help us including Ms. Roth,Ms. Ruffin, Mr. Tasket and above all Ms. Cobb and what seemed to be a worthless cause they did not give up on my daughter and now she is a Sr. and a bright future ahead. God Bless you all! and Thank You and if I have forgotten anyone, please forgive me. Cathy Reidy Mother

Posted September 27, 2007

I have a son that attends Sandalwood, I was a little concerned his freshman year because of all the horror stories that I had heard. But after seeing first hand, Sandalwood has got a bad rap for the past several years. It is time to give Sandalwood the credit they deserve. I would not think twice about sending my child to Sandalwood. As far as I am concerned from seeing first hand, they are a great school, they care about the students and that is important. They dont judge by how much money you make like other schools in the area! Keep up the great work Sandalwood!

Posted August 19, 2007

We are truly looking forward to a fantastic 2007-2008 school year. We met all of my son's teachers and they are all organized and enthusiastic. I love the new changes at school and the fact that all his teachers are on schoolnotes.com keep up the good work!

Posted August 15, 2007

Thsi school was teh best experience i could ever had, i lost and gained many friends. I was directed by many teachers who actually cared about there students i am honored to be a graduate of such a great school.

Posted May 24, 2007

This school is to large, they do not keep up with their parent newsletter or with the web site info. If one grade has testing, many times they let the other grades go home. How is a parent to know if the school is out or in if we are receiving no notification. To top all of that kids get lost every day, not body lost but mind lost. Guidance does not have time to call all the kids in to talk with them about their future and help them plot a course, students even have a hard time getting to see guidance when they have a problem or issue. The Deans are no more help either, very negative, very curt with how they speak even to parents. I will not put my younger child in this school. I will sell my home and move if I have too!

Posted March 19, 2007

I am a student at sandalwood high school and i believe it is a great school. At times there are fights and disruptions but what school doesn't have those kind of problems? I can't say that all the teachers there are great but the ones that have taught me are wonderful. They really do care about helping their students become successful. Although one thing that i dis-like about sandalwood is their food and their over pricing. Prices for any student activity should not be as high as they are, same with the food.

Posted March 8, 2007

I know firsthand what Sandalwood is like. Being a student there myself, I have interacted with my peers, and have been taught by it's teachers. Being in a school with 3,000 others is hectic, but the only way to remedy that is to build a new school. Despite minor organizational issues, everything else that has constituted my years at Sandalwood have been enjoyable. The curriculum has been expanded to include more AP classes, and lacrosse has just been recently added to the list of extracurricular activities. Sandalwood is not a bad school. There are a plethora of wonderful students and teachers here, and they should be acknowledged for their effort, as opposed to being demeaned for their so-called 'mediocrity'. Everyone is making a genuine collective effort to take the school to new heights, and that is something that should be taken into consideration. Go Saints!

Posted March 7, 2007

We lived in jacksonville many many years about 11 yrs , and it always has ups and downs , but I too have found that sandalwood high would do alot better if They orginize their self better and make people who work there be more responsbile at their jobs!

Posted December 21, 2006

I think Sandalwood is a horrible school. The school is very unorganized. I dropped out because the teachers couldn't teach, you constantly had disruptions. The students there are so rude and you can never concentrate. I highly do not recommend this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 19, 2006

In the midst of a large school, quality is a concern yet my son got here the day before classes started and is doing well. I have had a few meetings with administration & staff to get to better understand the system they have set up. I don't know if the greek houses are my idea of making a school of over 3500 kids more manageable but it seems to be working. Extracurricular activities are not an issue just making the right choices is. Parental involvement is also encouraged although at this age its the kids that don't want the parental involvement which is still needed.

Posted February 26, 2006

The school administration is doing all that they can to keep it under control. However, with over 3000 students in the school, it is difficult at times.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

719 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

675 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

702 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

796 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

312 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

721 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

607 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

646 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 16%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

• MS. VICTORIA SCHULTZ
Fax number
  • (904) 646-5126

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now