Nathan B. Forrest High School

Public | 9-12 | 1301 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 1, 2014

This a great place to send your son or daughter. The administration and staff is great. They care about ALL students and they are willing to listen to parents and students concerns. I can say the principal Dr. Bostic supports the students in academic and in extracurricular activities and organizations. I have seen him at every football game and basketball game (home and always). We as parents cannot always blame the school for every thing, we have to support the school more. GREAT PLACE and I Love the school. Dr. Bostic keep us informed by communicating to us by the phone message...I look forward to receiving his messages. The is orderly and structure.....Please keep up the great work!

Posted October 27, 2013

This is the worst racially profiled school that will not bother to help out troubled youth at all! Rather kick the youth out of school or lock them up based on their own opinions! I believe they should pink slip all the administration and start over with non-bias individuals who are willing to help everyone have a fare chance for fundamentals of learning. The school has cameras for protection , but when you need them they do not work or the system is down!! I suggest if your child has to go to school here , for you to go to the School Board and get a Special Assignment to anywhere else. Just my thoughts.

Posted September 10, 2012

My son graduated from Nathan B Forrest last year. I have to say since Dr Brennan took on this school I have seen a great improvement in structure and discipline within the staff as well as the students conduct. He has been a great asset to this school and I commend him for his dedication for his unwavering fight to save these kids,including mine. It took some initiative on my part as a parent, yes a lot of initiative,but I must say it was worth every minute of my time. Thanks Dr Brennan & Staff for being there for me and my son and making a difference.

Posted September 7, 2012

THIS SCHOOL WAS DEFINITELY MY WORST HIGHSCHOOL EXPERIENCE. School just started and already I can tell I'm not going to last here. All of the faculty and staff are rude and disrespectful. It is super unfair here and they refuse to compromise. This school all together will set you to failure because all the staff are worried about all day is what you are wearing. Form fitting clothes not welcomed but skinny jeans EVERYWHERE... Oh! The classes are boring and below average level. They take phones even if you are not on them and keep them as their own. They don't follow the code of conduct , they add their own ridiculous remix. Their focus is not on learning all they do is invade everyone's privacy and try to run each student against our will. Your classes will be all over the place and they expect you to be their in a jiffy. I'm a honor student and I actually care about my future although attending forrest is constantly messing up my record. I've gotten tardies even though one foot was in the classroom, issp for a skirt that was finger length, and my phone was confiscated for falling to the ground.. I can't wait to transfer to Stanton College Prep very soon thats a school to aim for !

Posted July 23, 2011

This school is shameful!! Not only is it located in a prime drug activity area, it is very unpoliced!! Oh they put on the face that they care, but it is clear by the thug mentality of the students and gangs that attend, that there is nooo education available. I was on the newly drawn boundaries and was required to move my son from Orange Park High School, to this cesspool of a so called school!! Oh his grades went up...only because there is no bell curve at Forrest. It is definitely flat-line!! I will be looking to enroll my son else where as I know he will only suffer going to this place. Maybe if they spent more time getting students to follow the rules...like pulling pants up instead of running a thug fashion show there, some learning would happen. All staff is rude, and you can see they don't really care!! Guess when the doors close on this failing, shameful school...they will care as they will be out of a job!!

Posted February 25, 2011

When I first moved down to Florida, I came on this site to see how the school I had to go to would be and this gave me the wrong idea completely. The students are not bad really. It's the staff. They are very RUDE all the time. The teachers don't teach really either. The staff could care less, the principal, vice principals, teachers, none of them care about the parents opr students. A lot of them I should say. It's really sad but the students are great. Made some really good friends.

Posted August 27, 2010

I decided to give Forrest another chance, since there is a new principal this year. Yes, learning starts at home. We as parents depend on the teachers and the admin staff to help prepare our children for the future. My son had both good and bad teachers last year. Yes, students need to respect the teachers, however the teachers need to respect the students as well. We pay them to teach! Not to put the assignment on the board and tell them hat their assignment is on the board. I recommend every parent to do a surprise visit to their child school to get a true picture of what's really going on. I wish Forrest success this year. I am happy that they are really enforcing school rules.

Posted May 15, 2010

Government schools tend to be poor places to learn but, this one was just horrible.The teachers didn't care about the students. You were lucky if you had a teacher that even spoke during class. Assignments were usually just written on the board and that was all there was to it. No instruction, no help. The students were violent and the staff turn a blind eye to it. Students were not there to learn. They were only there because the law required them to attend. It was seen as a prison. You are better off dropping out, getting a GED, and starting collage courses at FCCJ( or whatever it is called now). You cannot get an education at this government institution.

Posted May 9, 2010

I went to this school for junior year and quickly transferred to Sandalwood in the middle of the year. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I'll tell you there are a lot of unmotivated students. Out of all my classes, I only liked 2 teachers. I think the school would be better if the parents are more involved. Disciplining and learning the importance of education starts at home!

Posted February 20, 2009

It truly is not the teachers fault that this school has such poor ratings. When I attended this school half of my classes were honors and the other half were the standard. It was quite a remarkable switch each period, to say the least. You go from a quiet environment very suitable for learning, to one that is hard to think in because of the rowdiness and utter disrespect of the students. The ill-mannered children at Forrest have no respect for their teachers or any other student. The parents need to take responsibility for their children instead of blaming our hard working teachers for their child s failing grades.

Posted August 18, 2008

I had two students at Forrest last year, but both have transferred to other high schools because of the student body, not the teachers. It is difficult to concentrate and learn with so many distractions. I am a substitute teacher, who has been in Forrest classrooms, and take my hat off to all teachers who are still trying in an environment of so many unmotivated youth. parents need to wake up and spend more time training and disciplinig their children and less time buying clothes, mp3s, and cell phones for disrespectful failing students. Schools aren't failing our children, parents are. Shame on you for not caring enough about your child's education.

Posted July 28, 2008

I am a recent graduate of this school (Class of 2007). Its not really the school that's the problem. Most teachers are trying their hardest to teach the kids and help pass the FCAT. I do agree there are SOME teachers who don't teach as great as they should, but most of them are seriously trying their hardest. What can you do if students choose not to learn? I know for a fact that the APUSH, AP EURO, ROTC, and AP LIT teachers are teaching and its just those students who aren't listening or care enough to learn and graduate. I was in ROTC and I understand how they feel when students do not listen and disrespect. Its up to the students to decide what they want to do. I graduated with Honors, at the top 10% of my class, and I was 2nd in Command in ROTC.

Posted April 28, 2008

I feel this school is out of focus and the school needs to get the parents involved more instead of trying to do it all.

Posted April 1, 2008

this school cares nothing about academics compared to it's cares of student behavior and the way that it looks on the state. the teachers are more focused on your learning what they have planned the day they have it planned more than the fact that you may not even have it learned. they are focused on the way that they look more than the pace of the students themselves. they have a lot of improving to do.

Posted February 13, 2008

Both my son and daughter go to this school, they don't really like it the teachers don't teach as the others have informed you on. Although I must say the AFJROTC program is great and that is the only reaason my children attend this school. There are alot of extra curricular activites that you can particiapate in although ther are a limit amount of sports. This is not a school I would recommend to anyone.

Posted November 24, 2007

This school is cool but the teachers just give us homework and they don't explain anything to us. The school is old and it could of been kept up well but no one tried to.

Posted October 30, 2007

My daughter has been at Forrest for 3 years and she loves it. she plays sports and has joined clubs. She likes her teachers and if she needs help there is free tutoring after school. The principal is working hard to keep the school a safe place. We need more parents to teach their chilkdren to respect the teachers and staff.

Posted October 4, 2007

My daughter attended this school her freshman year. Communication with most office staff and administrators was difficult. No matter what problem I had or needed help with, they acted as if they were doing me a favor to address the issue. There were a few of her teachers who were concerned and interested but most of them seemed burned out, tired, and/or unconcerned about her. I am very disappointed in this school academically, socially and overall.

Posted July 2, 2007

My step-daughter transferred to this school after attending one of the top academic schools in the country. She went from a A student to a C student in less than one year. She said the teachers do not teach and the students fight a lot. When I reviewed the school's standing and test results. I literally cried. I begged her mother to take her out of this school and that is exactly what she did. Thank God for caring parents. If you are a caring parent then remove your child from this school.

Posted July 7, 2005

This needs more discpline for the students. Availability for extracurricular activites are outstanding. It also offers opportunity for students to advance to their correct grade.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

307 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

239 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 3% 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 15%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Fax number
  • (904) 573-1177

• Assistant principal(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options